Hacking Sending a B9S 3DS Unit to Nintendo for repairs

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Tbh lcd repairs generally aren't covered by your warranty unless you can prove it was a manufacturing fault or something, so while they may void a warranty repair if you send in a hacked system (although many have gotten away with sending in hacked systems for various repairs) seeing as your probably going to be paying for the repair anyway I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do it, they don't really care as long as your not costing them money

Reactions: Quantumcat

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bring up the acekard 2i method again considering it's a few dollars for future proof. If they buy one, the worst case scenario if they uninstall b9s is that they get the 3ds sent back and they use ntrhax to reflash their nand backup.
Yeah, that is a good point. But this is assuming that they WILL service the system and assuming they WON'T know is been modified, which everyone seem to think just formatting and removing the mods will not reveal any of that information to them. Again, even if you could just use the NDS to get it back, how is everyone sure they will service the system!? :mellow:

The fact remains, the person know the system is modified from what nintendo did not allow, and is considered not with in any of their reason to service it, if they find out. So far people will assume they won't find out by simply removing the exploit and formatting the system to default state. I haven't done any business with nintendo regarding this sort of thing so I honestly don't know but simply cause I don't know doesn't mean is okay to send them a product I know is not within terms of service.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that is a good point. But this is assuming that they WILL service the system and assuming they WON'T know is been modified, which everyone seem to think just formatting and removing the mods will not reveal any of that information to them. Again, even if you could just use the NDS to get it back, how is everyone sure they will service the system!? :mellow:

The fact remains, the person know the system is modified from what nintendo did not allow, and is considered not with in any of their reason to service it, if they find out. So far people will assume they won't find out by simply removing the exploit and formatting the system to default state. I haven't done any business with nintendo regarding this sort of thing so I honestly don't know but simply cause I don't know doesn't mean is okay to send them a product I know is not within terms of service.
I brought up the fact of that possibility. Worst case scenario it gets sent back without repairs. Also a format would reset all installed tickets, and the it would set the ctrnand back to default. For extra precaution, a downgrade to 9.2 followed by an upgrade back to 11.4 would fix all broken system applications as well. Along with a b9s uninstall, I highly doubt anything could be detected, especially if the 3ds is sent in without the sd card.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of this is based on speculation. People have sent in modified 3ds systems before, and all Nintendo does is send the console back without repairing it. My advice, by an acekard 2i, flash luma to it, make a nand backup, format your nand, remove b9s, and send the 3ds in without the sd card. This should make the 3ds undetectable.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I wouldn't recommend this, it's easy to mess up and I bricked a 3ds that way. If you want to avoid Nintendo entirely, send it to a hardmodder, and maybe get a capture card or a hardmod in the process.
What the hell did you do? Sounds like you didn't properly connect a clipped ribbon cable, which causes a brick. I would reassemble that 3DS a few times before I declared it bricked.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the hell did you do? Sounds like you didn't properly connect a clipped ribbon cable, which causes a brick. I would reassemble that 3DS a few times before I declared it bricked.
I think a ribbon cable might have bent or something in the motherboard. Tried taking it out and putting it back in and that didnt solve anything. Either way, if i cant do it, i dont reccomend the op to do it.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a ribbon cable might have bent or something in the motherboard. Tried taking it out and putting it back in and that didnt solve anything. Either way, if i cant do it, i dont reccomend the op to do it.
I get that, I only recommended it because I have been lucky enough to do 3 O3DS's with no problems. I did learn from disassembling my laptops though, so the learning curve was much smaller than normal.

GracefulLilac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The main problem is that I don't have any prior experience with disassembling a new 3DSxl, so if I were to buy the necessary materials, I would still be afraid that I would mess up or brick the system, which would mean I would have to go and buy a new one, and I just got this one a few months ago. I've managed to find a repair store near where I live, but their repair cost is almost DOUBLE what nintendo said they would do for them to repair it. It's the only store I know of that would be willing to repair it, as most other stores would just say to return it to the manufacturer.

BTW, here's a photo of the damage.
Screenshot 2017-06-18 at 11.07.05 PM.png

Last edited by GracefulLilac,

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
The main problem is that I don't have any prior experience with disassembling a new 3DSxl, so if I were to buy the necessary materials, I would still be afraid that I would mess up or brick the system, which would mean I would have to go and buy a new one, and I just got this one a few months ago. I've managed to find a repair store near where I live, but their repair cost is almost DOUBLE what nintendo said they would do for them to repair it. It's the only store I know of that would be willing to repair it, as most other stores would just say to return it to the manufacturer.

View attachment 90752
Jesus, WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO????

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I was on a bus coming home and we hit a really big bump in the road. I was on my 3DS at the time and when we hit it, my 3DS flew out of my hands and landed on the floor screen side down. That was about 2 weeks ago
Ouch! A good advertisement for wrist straps!

Reactions: PrincessLillie

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I was on a bus coming home and we hit a really big bump in the road. I was on my 3DS at the time and when we hit it, my 3DS flew out of my hands and landed on the floor screen side down. That was about 2 weeks ago
Well... Ouch. I have no words.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 90752
Do not try to fix it if you have no prior experience. It is very easy to break something once inside.

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course they would check for unauthorized use. At a Sony repair center back in the 90's, we used to get machines sent in for repairs from consumers, yet had mod chips installed. They were instantly removed and the machines sent back untouched.

With screen damage like that, you are best getting it fixed via a 3rd party repair store/experienced friend/family member than going the legit route.

Last edited by Thelonewolf88,

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 90752
Oh, you can probably rub that dead pixel out. In all seriousness, find another repair shop or one online. I did my friends for free so it's a $40 job, max.

GracefulLilac

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, you can probably rub that dead pixel out. In all seriousness, find another repair shop or one online. I did my friends for free so it's a $40 job, max.
In all honesty, there is no repair shops nearby that can repair it. I've been trying my best to find someone who could replace it, but nobody I know has any experience with opening a 3DSxl, so I'm basically SOL unless someone on here would be able to...

Steveosupremeo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came out of lurk mode to say just trade the system to Gamestop. They'll give you trade credit minus a refurb fee. They'll harvest whatever parts off of it to rebuild another.

There's a $15 additional credit promo for trading in a system if you're a power up pro member

Also, pre owned 3DS's are on sale for 149.99 but recharges systems will be on 11.4 firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a candy floating, don't eat it!
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a candy floating, don't eat it!