Send/Take PKM Files To/From Retail Games

Send/Take PKM Files To/From Retail Games

A PKM file is a copy of a pokemon's data. You can get these files online, or rip them out of a save file yourself.
Using the tools here you can send a PKM file to an actual game on your 3/DS/i, or get one out of your real game.

This guide will NOT cover editing the PKM files, there's entire forums out there for doing that.
This guide needs admin rights on your computer, and a wireless network.

1. Intro
  2. Procedure
  3. Tools, Resources
  4. Troubleshooting

Reactions: 1 person

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
  1. Intro
  2. Procedures
  3. Tools, Resources
  4. Troubleshooting

1. Get the latest Python 2.x.
    http://www.python.org/download/
    You want the 2.x branch, not 3.x.
    Download and install it.
  2. Download IR-GTS.
    http://code.google.com/p/ir-gts/downloads/list
    Download IR-GTS (for Gen-IV) or IR-GTS-BW (for Gen-V).
    You MUST extract/unzip the program, do NOT run it from the compressed/zipped folder. In addition it should be in a path that contains no spaces in it's name. For Windows XP users this unfortunately means you may not be able to run it from anywhere on the desktop or in your user folder (since "Documents And Settings" contains spaces). If you are using Windows XP, you should have your IR-GTS folder in your C drive (or whatever your local drive is) for best compatibility.
  3. Do a first-run of IR-GTS.
    Run ir-gts.py or ir-gts-bw.py by double-clicking it.
  4. Allow it through Windows Firewall.
    You may be presented with a Windows Firewall message. You must click "unblock".
    17469417.gif

5. Change your DNS.
    IR-GTS should display an IP address for you.
    This IP address should be in the form of 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.x.x.x. If it is not, see the "troubleshooting" steps.
    On your DS, edit the connection settings for the current wireless network, set the DNS to NOT automatic, then enter that IP address as the primary DNS server.
    Take note that when you want to use normal DS wireless functions you should set it back to automatic.

Run IR-GTS and choose what to do.
When the main screen is displayed, you have some choices.
Press the letter of the choice you want and press enter.
99239540.gif
  • Type "s" and press enter.
    This tells IR-GTS that we want to send a PKM to a game.
  • If you know the path to the PKM file, type it and press enter. However, it's often easier to simply drag the PKM file out of whatever folder it's in and drop it onto the black box, in which case it will automatically type in the path for you.
    73376896.gif

• Press enter.
    When you press enter, IR-GTS should tell you it's encoding, and then ready to send.
    11230748.gif

• Go to the GTS in-game.
    When you attempt to connect to the GTS, IR-GTS should tell you it connected, and it should send the PKM file over as if you had completed a trade, before returning to the main menu.
    89385084.gif

• Press A in your game to return to the title screen.
    After communicating with IR-GTS, your game WILL error out. This is entirely normal, and the PKM file WAS saved.
    36096695.gif
  • Type "r" and press enter.
    If you want to receive more than one, type "m" and press enter.
    This tells IR-GTS that we want to take a PKM from our game.
  • IR-GTS tells you it's ready.
    74268450.gif

• In-game, deposit/offer onto the GTS.
    It does not seem to matter what you request in return, as long as the pokemon is sent.
    IR-GTS should receive the pokemon and save it in the Pokemon folder, named as whatever the pokemon was nicknamed.
    15400711.gif

• The game will tell you you cannot offer that pokemon.
    This is normal, and is done to make sure that the pokemon is not removed from your game, as a safety precaution... However, IR-GTS will still have gotten a copy of it, and will have saved it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
  1. Intro
  2. Procedure
  3. Tools, Resources
  4. Troubleshooting

• I've never actually been able to use my DS online, it won't pick up my network or won't connect because of some security type.
    In your start/globe menu, go to the "run" command. If you're on vista/7, you'd use the little white box near the bottom. Type in "CMD" and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. In the black box that comes up, type "ipconfig" and press enter. It'll list a series of four numbers as your "default gateway". Write those down. Go open any web browser, and enter the four numbers (like 192.168.x.x) into the address bar, and press enter.

A login box should come up. The username should be "admin" or blank, and the password can be anything from "admin" to "administrator" "pass" to "password" or "password1", or something else if you've set it differently. Ask whoever set up the router what the password to get into it is, or check this page. http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

Then you'll be able to see what sort of wireless security settings you have set up. First make sure that SSID broadcasting is ON, then remember what the SSID is, it's the name of your network. Turn MAC address filtering off. You will need to change the wireless security type to WEP if it's on anything other than WEP. It'll have you make a pass key or phrase. WRITE. IT. DOWN. After you save the changes, you will need to enter that key on any machine (computer or game system) that you want to connect to the internet (or just change the settings back to what they were originally when you're done with the DS).

Then in the game (or 3/DS/i main menu), go to the wireless settings. Have it scan, pick out your network from the list, enter the key/phrase when requested.

• A black command line box doesn't pop up, or instantly closes when I try to run it.
    Make sure you have Python 2.x installed (not a 3.x version).
    Make sure you actually unzipped the download into a new folder. It will NOT run from with a zip/compressed folder.

• The black command line box talks about a socket/connection error.
    Close out any program that uses the internet, especially skype and web servers such as apache (which by default will use port 80). For skype you can instead choose to go into it's settings, to advanced, and connections, there UNcheck the option to use ports 80 and 443.

If you've done that and still get a connection error, and you're on a professional, business, or ultimate version of windows, you may need to disable IIS (the windows web server). To do that, go to the start menu, to "run" (or click in the white box at the bottom on vista/7), and run "iisreset /stop" without the quotes. Alternatively, open pokehaxlib.py in a text editor and scroll down to the line "serv.bind(("0.0.0.0",80)", change the "80" to something like "1493". If you're on Windows 7, the server may be active. To close it down, you go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, then scroll down to World Wide Web Publishing Services. Hit the "stop" button. That should open up Port 80.

• I go into the GTS and it just connects to the normal one.
    Make sure you're editing the DNS of the connection you're using.

• The IP address it tells me to use doesn't let me connect to the GTS, or it's giving me one other than a 192.168.x.x or 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x to change to.
    It should be telling you to set the DS to your computer's local/LAN IP, but for one reason or another isn't detecting it properly. In your start/globe menu, go to the "run" command. If you're on vista, you'd use the little white box near the bottom. Type in "CMD" and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. In the black box that comes up, type "ipconfig" and press enter. It'll list a series of four numbers as your IP address (they should look like 192.168.x.x or 172.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x), that's what you should change your DS's DNS servers to. If that doesn't help, go into safe mode (with networking). If that doesn't help, uninstall your security software, as many of them will stop something like this, and most of them will continue to block network stuff even when disabled.

• I get a 5xxxx error when connecting to the GTS.
    Security software on your computer may be stopping this from working, try temporarily disabling any security/firewall programs. Otherwise check your router's settings to see if it has any sort of LAN security policies in effect. Follow the instructions in the question above to see ipconfig info, copy down the "default gateway" address into the address bar of a browser and press enter. A login box should come up. The username should be "admin" or blank, and the password can be anything from "admin" to "administrator" "pass" to "password" or "password1", or something else if you've set it differently. Ask whoever set up the router what the password to get into it is, or check this page. http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html Failing that, try it from a different computer.

If you can't find any router settings that would block it, then In your control panel, open up "Network Connections", find your current network connection and double-click it. In the new window that comes up, click Properties near the bottom-left. In that new window, go to the "advanced" tab and check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection". OK all the boxes and then try again.

Failing that, make sure no other computer in your house is using any sort of server software. This includes things like skype and other video/chatting programs, and even some games. Barring that, power cycle the router by unplugging it's power source for 2 minutes and plugging it back in.

Udoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an error that I've been trying to fix for the past several days now.... Everything runs great, and I get inside the 'GTS', but get stuck on "Checking GTS's status", and get a communication error message shortly afterward. My ir-gts says that I connect, but never moves on to sending the .pkm. Any ideas?

Udoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Security software?

Sweet, you're online!

No Security software on, I made sure to disable it all before I started. And I'm fairly certain that ports 80 and 53 are open.

Udoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the thing though... the only security software I run is through Windows, and I've got it all shut down. Unless I'm missing something and perhaps I hadn't fully uninstalled something.

I used SendPKM last year, and I remember having trouble getting it setup. trouble is, I can't remember what the problem was... I vaguely remember it was something to do with my router, but I'm at a loss trying to remember what exactly.

Could it be that ports 80 or 53 aren't open? I run the program pkmsendportcheck and it says they are open, but canyouseeme.org gets a timeout everytime I check port 80.

Pokemonzmaster18

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Udoma said:
That's the thing though... the only security software I run is through Windows, and I've got it all shut down. Unless I'm missing something and perhaps I hadn't fully uninstalled something.

I used SendPKM last year, and I remember having trouble getting it setup. trouble is, I can't remember what the problem was... I vaguely remember it was something to do with my router, but I'm at a loss trying to remember what exactly.

Could it be that ports 80 or 53 aren't open? I run the program pkmsendportcheck and it says they are open, but canyouseeme.org gets a timeout everytime I check port 80.

Is Skype or Steam up, if so u need to quit the program entirely

EDIT: With this python script, it won't even come up if ports 53 or 80 aren't open

Udoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemonzmaster18 said:

No Skype, no Steam. I've run through all the support threads I can find and tried all this, still nothing. I've even gone back and read through my old posts elsewhere to see if I could figure out what the problem was last time, and while I can find posts of me asking for help, I haven't found anything that explained how I finally fixed the problem last time.

I'm completely at a loss. Wish I could remember what I'm doing wrong... it's like I'm almost there, I'm connecting to the fake server just fine, according to the logs, I'm just not receiving the pokes...

Posts merged

QUOTE(AlanJohn @ Mar 26 2011, 04:01 PM) Why won't you try this?? It works with Black/White and you can upload your own .pkm file.

First time I've seen this, I'll give it a try, thanks!

Udoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the link you provided worked just fine so I'll stick with that for now.

Still would love to figure out what the problem is when I try to do this from my own PC

Pokemonzmaster18

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Udoma said:
Pokemonzmaster18 said:

No Skype, no Steam. I've run through all the support threads I can find and tried all this, still nothing. I've even gone back and read through my old posts elsewhere to see if I could figure out what the problem was last time, and while I can find posts of me asking for help, I haven't found anything that explained how I finally fixed the problem last time.

I'm completely at a loss. Wish I could remember what I'm doing wrong... it's like I'm almost there, I'm connecting to the fake server just fine, according to the logs, I'm just not receiving the pokes...

o_0, that reminds me what error # did u get?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Udoma said:
Still would love to figure out what the problem is when I try to do this from my own PCList/name/screenshot.

I don't use your computer, YOU do. I don't know what kinda' shit you run, so you're going to have to tell me.

QUOTE(A Gay Little Catboy @ Mar 26 2011, 11:14 AM) If you are creating, altering, or even just downloading pokemon through PKM files, are all just fakes to me.
This lets you take PKM files from games, too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night