Sega Exiting the Home Console Market?

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can have a PC tower connected to the HDTV and use a console controller.

Truth. The complaint about playing PC games not being as fun without being played on a TV with a console controller hasn't held water for years at this point.

I know you can but sonic on PC is just weird to me kinda like metal gear on Xbox.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as they don't fuck with Atlus I'm good. That being said I'd love to see PC versions of those games, I just want handheld support to continue. Really hoping they dont abandon those for mobile phones

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my not-so-humble opinion, I believe such a move would be the death of Sega's IP properties... of which there were plenty of great ones. To name a few... that means, no more:
  • Sonic core series games
  • Jet Grind (Set) Radio
  • Crazy Taxi
  • Space Channel 5
  • Super Monkey Ball
  • Shen Mue
List goes on. That would also effectively kill any revival attempt of stuff like Streets of Rage, which is honestly depressing.
You can have a PC tower connected to the HDTV and use a console controller.
Just curious, but have you ever actually tried hooking up a PC to a TV? Even with stuff like component video and HDMI, my experience has always been that a PC display looks like absolute ass on a TV.

It's almost as bad as trying to play a retro console on an HDTV without some kind of scaler box to handle the conversion.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Truth. The complaint about playing PC games not being as fun without being played on a TV with a console controller hasn't held water for years at this point.

this is true and I had my pc hooked up to tv for last 5 years or so. Its alot nicer to play pc games on 40 inch screen vs like 22ish. The problem is that some people don't know they can do that or do not wish to do that. They keep their PC at a desk. So for those people, a console would make more sense. Additional not all PC games support game controllers, even if console version of the same game does. For example diablo 3 on pc does not support controllers, where as the console version does.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I guess Sega is working for online PC gaming to release Phantasy Star 2 Online for US. I wait for Phantasy Star 2 so long time. I own old Phantasy Star game on my GameCube. I don't like cards game.

Also I own Phastasy Star game on PC and not bought add on disc.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I know you can but sonic on PC is just weird to me kinda like metal gear on Xbox.
How is it weird? Whether it's a console or a PC in the end it's just a gamebox you're using to play it.

It can't be stranger than playing games from the online service PlayStation Now via a Sammy TV.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Sega has been up and down like a yoyo tied to the knickers of a slutty kangaroo on a bouncy castle for years now. I'd hate to miss out on any potentially great games like Sonic Generations 2 (shut up, I enjoyed it), if this stops any more embarrassments like Sonic 06 (the video game equivalent of testicular crucifiction) then maybe it's for the best. I'll always remember them as the centre of my childhood thanks to the Mega Drive, but all good things must come to an end.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it weird? Whether it's a console or a PC in the end it's just a gamebox you're using to play it.

It can't be stranger than playing games from the online service PlayStation Now via a Sammy TV.
I know you say all that it is just I feel it is weird. Not saying it is bad or whatever but it is weird to me as I view sonic as a console franchise.

Reactions: elmoemo

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What's stopping you from connecting a PC to your TV and plugging in a console controller?
It's extremely annoying to lug your PC to your TV, hook it up and reboot it every time you want to play something on the TV, for once. Laying down a cable through the whole house from the TV to your desk isn't a great alternative either. If you have 2 PCs, sure, but most people don't.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.