AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sega.png
Sega has been floundering around lately, but it seems during a conglomerate meeting of Sega Sammy Holdings, serious business overhauls were discussed, and it seems one of the overhauls included the exit from the home console market, and to focus on mobile and online PC gaming.​
From Japan Today article Fans mourn Sega's exit from console video game market, news that "Sega Sammy Holdings, the parent company that now controls one-time video gaming pioneer Sega, is looking to seriously overhaul its structure and business operations, [...] but one of the first steps seems to be Sega ditching the console video game business to focus on what it considers the areas of biggest growth, mobile and online PC games." What this means for the arcade business and for the home VFer, remains to be seen.
Sources: JapanToday, VFDC
Although SEGA has been suffering for a while, in no small thanks to their own decisions, this is pretty big. I'm mostly worried about ATLUS, who were recently acquired by Sega Sammy Holdings. What affects would this have on them, and on the gaming industry as a whole?​

Reactions: Margen67

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd imagine this was done for a couple reasons:

1) No more physical distribution. Who knows how much money they'll save by moving onto essentially exclusively digital platforms. Even if a game doesn't sell well, you end up needing to sell a whole lot less than you do when you have to count manufacturing and distribution.

2) It's easier. Rather than developing a game for multiple consoles and needing to hit a certain quota for each console to balance out development and manufacturing costs, you develop it for one platform that many, many people already have access to regardless of generation of video game hardware. This means a more optimized experience, one that is easier to patch in case of bugs on release since you don't have to engineer a patch for each platform, and lower costs across the board for Sega.

The only problem I really see with this is that their games aren't really known for their PC popularity. They've been engineered for the console experience for decades, and that's what people have come to expect. They'll have to do a bit of work to convince those who are generally console gamers to say, buy the next big Sonic release on PC.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine this was done for a couple reasons:

1) No more physical distribution. Who knows how much money they'll save by moving onto essentially exclusively digital platforms. Even if a game doesn't sell well, you end up needing to sell a whole lot less than you do when you have to count manufacturing and distribution.

2) It's easier. Rather than developing a game for multiple consoles and needing to hit a certain quota for each console to balance out development and manufacturing costs, you develop it for one platform that many, many people already have access to regardless of generation of video game hardware. This means a more optimized experience, one that is easier to patch in case of bugs on release since you don't have to engineer a patch for each platform, and lower costs across the board for Sega.

The only problem I really see with this is that their games aren't really known for their PC popularity. They've been engineered for the console experience for decades, and that's what people have come to expect. They'll have to do a bit of work to convince those who are generally console gamers to say, buy the next big Sonic release on PC.

Well sonic never has had a big PC game since CD.
In sonic games the PC version is always the worst

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The last online PC game I remember Sega being in charge of was PSO2, and, well... that didn't end too well for us in the west.
The PSO2 situation confuses the living hell out of me, mostly because they translated the game to English, but chose not to give that version to any English speaking countries and actually banned those daring enough to try to play it from outside the South East Asian region. We're sorry we want to play your game, Sega. Please forgive us.

At least we have Ship 2 and the decently translated Japanese version.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An interesting move if so. I am of several minds about this and will have to do some reading up on things before I do something resembling a proper comment.

I had a quick snout through http://www.seganerds.com/2013/09/18/segas-timeline-of-acquisitions-and-sales/ and it does not make as interesting reading as some other companies we consider around here, however if they do turn to properly face mobile world then they can clean up -- EA might have been buying things here and there but the combined resources of all Sega's stuff could do serious damage.

Even if a game doesn't sell well, you end up needing to sell a whole lot less than you do when you have to count manufacturing and distribution.....
They'll have to do a bit of work to convince those who are generally console gamers to say, buy the next big Sonic release on PC.

Hopefully I will not kick off the next round of Sonic Adventure vs the world but I do have to say that unlike Mario many Sonic games have appeared on the PC and have done for many years now. Not to mention the mobile thing is probably where it will be at.

On the costs of manufacture I will have to run those numbers; we are told it is the advertising that costs the big money these days but then again that is an upfront cost. I have to wonder if you could not fund advertising via early rounds of buyers and more viral/cheaper forms of marketing.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The PSO2 situation confuses the living hell out of me, mostly because they translated the game to English, but chose not to give that version to any English speaking countries and actually banned those daring enough to try to play it from outside the South East Asian region. We're sorry we want to play your game, Sega. Please forgive us.

At least we have Ship 2 and the decently translated Japanese version.
To be fair that translation (SEA) is also not that amazing. Didn't they translate Force with Wizard or something? IIRC they also changed the names of the mate items, Photon Arts were renamed to something silly and just about everything got a weird localized name.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

They have Total War and Football manager. They may not be the first titles that spring to mind when you speak about Sega, but those titles are PC mainstays adn will provide reliable revenue.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
This is a nightmare for some sonic & altus fanboys...

But a Dreamcast for me, cause all I see is tears.

your tears are delicious sega fanboys..

(Just do football manager"trollface" and we be cool)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Ken don't make me use my night stick on you lol