Translation SD Gundam G Generation Overworld english translation

CleanSweep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been lurking this thread for a while before deciding to lend my services to you all. If any of you guys need help with proofing English text, feel free to PM me whenever you want. I can also do a little hex editing and photoshop on the side if that's needed too.

Reactions: breaktemp

PiQue_MajorCooke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Pique:

I learn a bit about the 00 from this guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/basic-psp-game-translation.293560/ (just look at the non-capitalized letter since you already know the mentioned parts)

In short, 00 is something that cannot be moved while we translate...well...at least for us newbie. Crashman seems to be able to move it to a certain extent.

Another thing thing I found... to translate the text safer..
1) Copy the whole japanese text after the 1st 00 (which is the start of a new line..which usually start from $s20) until the next 00 (which always end with Sn.) and paste in into a word/google doc.
2) Once you manage to translate it, edit the text in madedit as usual. Once you are satisfied, copy the whole translated text again to word/google doc, right under the original text you pasted in step 1.
3) Compare the length. To be safe of hassle from replacing a 00 by mistake. The length of the edited text most of the time is shorter than the length of the original (from $s20 to $n.)

By doing step 1-3, I manage to minimize the error I made with regards to 00..

Thank you very much for your tip :)

PiQue_MajorCooke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I see.

I will try to test more.

Here are some of my translations.
Feel free to check and correct my works if there are anything wrong.

I do not know the story of G-Unit but I will try my best.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 412
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 686
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 355
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 424
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 532
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,476
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 379

Bucky699

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This may be rude to ask but, any chance of getting a patch with just the names, items, skills and stuff translated, not to worried about story myself.

CleanSweep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are some of my translations.
Feel free to check and correct my works if there are anything wrong.

Well, the biggest thing is that the you got the character names wrong. It's really obvious in image 5, where the red and white jacket pilot is called "Ardeen" instead of Odin (which is his official English name). The blue+green jacket guy is Odel, and their last name is "Bernett."

Now, there are also problems with the amounts of ellipses (the "..."s) and some of the dialogue in image 5, but I'm not sure you can do anything about that right now without knowing if we can remove lots of characters and get things to work properly.

Also, and this is me just being curious, but is there some file that has all the character names? Or are all the names for the dialogue rendered on images (which I doubt, from what I've seen in this thread)? Because that should probably be a higher translation priority (I could probably handle it).

Reactions: PiQue_MajorCooke

PiQue_MajorCooke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I have found out the meaning of $s20, $s100..

It is the Text-Speed-Delay (in milliseconds) to make the text go slower in some situation.

$s20 mean that every text after this will be typed with 20 milliseconds delay
$s100 mean that there will be 100 millisecond delay

They are being used when displaying the shock feeling of character like... "Wh... What!!" "Da.. Dammit" "Why ... ... ..."

I already tried changing it to $s500 and the text go even slower.

I think we can use however we like, $s999, $s1000, ...etc

So, they are safe to be deleted, as AdanK85 mentioned.
Because they are used just to alter the text speed.

PiQue_MajorCooke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Well, the biggest thing is that the you got the character names wrong. It's really obvious in image 5, where the red and white jacket pilot is called "Ardeen" instead of Odin (which is his official English name). The blue+green jacket guy is Odel, and their last name is "Bernett."

Now, there are also problems with the amounts of ellipses (the "..."s) and some of the dialogue in image 5, but I'm not sure you can do anything about that right now without knowing if we can remove lots of characters and get things to work properly.

Also, and this is me just being curious, but is there some file that has all the character names? Or are all the names for the dialogue rendered on images (which I doubt, from what I've seen in this thread)? Because that should probably be a higher translation priority (I could probably handle it).

Oh.. I see..

Strange.. I thought the name read as "Ardin" or "Ardeen" because it use an "a" character which different then his brother "o" character.
Odin and Odel? Hmm.. really thanks for that.

About the amount of "..."s, I think I can fix that. Thank again.

About all the character names. I did not know yet. Will have to let Izzul or Crashman to help out with that.

CleanSweep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange.. I thought the name read as "Ardin" or "Ardeen" because it use an "a" character which different then his brother "o" character.
Odin and Odel? Hmm.. really thanks for that.
Having read the Gundam Wiki page for Odin, I can see why you got confused, because the name can be translated as "Adin," but the US translators and editors probably picked "Odin" because it sounded better and it kept Odel from being "Adel," which may not be a name anywhere when spelled like that and sounds like a girl's name in English (Odel, on the other hand, does sound like a guy's name).

If you ever need to double check a name, the Gundam Wiki is a decent resource because they included the Japanese text for names, so you should be able to find most of them there. The big problems will come from stuff that never got official localizations in all likelihood.

Reactions: PiQue_MajorCooke

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
This may be rude to ask but, any chance of getting a patch with just the names, items, skills and stuff translated, not to worried about story myself.

I do not plan on releasing one that's just names/units/skills and such. I'd like to actually translate as much of this title as I can before releasing it.

Reactions: CleanSweep

PiQue_MajorCooke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
CleanSweep, thank for your guide.
I have corrected both the name and the "..."s amount error.

-------------------------------

Now, here are some more of my works.

If there are any mistaken, feel free to tell me.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 348
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 327
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 334
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 332
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 337

AdanK85

Game Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I have found out the meaning of $s20, $s100..

It is the Text-Speed-Delay (in milliseconds) to make the text go slower in some situation.

$s20 mean that every text after this will be typed with 20 milliseconds delay
$s100 mean that there will be 100 millisecond delay

PiQue
Nice Find!

if that's the case, I think we should agree on a certain format since we now know its function. Since Izzul and Crash (not forgetting breaktemp) started the translation together (at least from what I see), I would like to know whether or not you guys retain these for all sentences or just certain ones as needed?

In my case, I can afford to put the $s20/100 values to those lines with a lot of ... (expression, mostly), which left me with a few extra spaces. But, I'm not confident about altering other lines to add $s20/100 since all other translated lines have limited space as it is.

After checking the unmodded game, the text does feel more alive with $s20/100. Darn! Anyway, tell me what you guys think.

PiQue_MajorCooke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
For me, I will try to maintain the original $s20/100 format as much as I can.

But if the english word space and meaning is more important in that sentence,
I will free some space up buy removing $n first, then $s20, then lastly $s100.

CleanSweep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, here are some more of my works.

If there are any mistaken, feel free to tell me.

This is the best I can do with contextless screencaps (I'm labeling them "Image + file number"):
Image 008: Battle is capitalized for no apparent reason.
Image 009: There should be a comma or "..." after Odel, and "Thanks" instead of "Thank".
Image 010: "Haa" probably should be "Ha".
Image 011: "What you say?" should be "What did you say?" The second line is harder to figure out, but some variation of "If this was real, you'd already be dead!" would work.
image 012: There's no context really, but changing the beginning to "The mechanic's" instead of "Mechanic's" reads better.
Image 013: This is another one where having the entire script would be helpful. The first line should be "This is the programmer's responsibility," but it could also be "That's the programmer's responsibility,". I can't tell which is the better option without knowing the dialogue that immediately preceded it.
Image 014: "Test Pilot" should not be capitalized. The rest of it feels kinda weird, but I'd need more context before suggesting any fixes.
Image 015: "Hahaha" should probably be "Ha ha ha".
Image 016: The line should probably start as "You two seem" instead of "Seem".

I think at this point, it would be more efficient to upload a document with the lines that have been translated/are being translated for me to go over before you inject the translated level into the game. At worst, uploading the ID you're working on would suffice, since I have MadEdit. I really need context for lines in order to edit the script properly.

Did you guy know where to rename the character name?
It is displaying in the bottom-right of the screen.

I would not be surprised if they were in that Library file and the game just pulled the names from there, like it does with the attack and mobile suit names.

Bucky699

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is the best I can do with contextless screencaps (I'm labeling them "Image + file number"):
Image 008: Battle is capitalized for no apparent reason.
Image 009: There should be a comma or "..." after Odel, and "Thanks" instead of "Thank".
Image 010: "Haa" probably should be "Ha".
Image 011: "What you say?" should be "What did you say?" The second line is harder to figure out, but some variation of "If this was real, you'd already be dead!" would work.
image 012: There's no context really, but changing the beginning to "The mechanic's" instead of "Mechanic's" reads better.
Image 013: This is another one where having the entire script would be helpful. The first line should be "This is the programmer's responsibility," but it could also be "That's the programmer's responsibility,". I can't tell which is the better option without knowing the dialogue that immediately preceded it.
Image 014: "Test Pilot" should not be capitalized. The rest of it feels kinda weird, but I'd need more context before suggesting any fixes.
Image 015: "Hahaha" should probably be "Ha ha ha".
Image 016: The line should probably start as "You two seem" instead of "Seem".

I think at this point, it would be more efficient to upload a document with the lines that have been translated/are being translated for me to go over before you inject the translated level into the game. At worst, uploading the ID you're working on would suffice, since I have MadEdit. I really need context for lines in order to edit the script properly.

I would not be surprised if they were in that Library file and the game just pulled the names from there, like it does with the attack and mobile suit names.

Agree with all of CleanSweep on his english/gramma suggestions.

PiQue_MajorCooke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Thanks about the grammar suggestion.

For Image 008 and 014. I use capital letter because they are specific words from Japanese text.
As you can see here in the quote "".
'Test Battle' and 'Test Pilot' use hiragana characters. Different from other characters following in the back.
"テストバトル" 終了よ!
"テストパイロット" の腕が悪いのよ!

For about suggestion on Image 011, 012, 013 and 016..

There are "space limit" for us to entering the character.
So we have to maintain the length of English sentence to have the same length with Japanese sentence,
or else, the game would crashed.

So I remove some words and then.. it's become false grammar, or even false meaning. My bad..
This is quite an headache problem.

Here are the sentences.. try copy them into MadEdit to compare the length.
If there any other suggested English sentences, feel free to tell.

$s20何言ってんの!$n実戦ならアンタは死んでんのよ!$n
$s20What you say!$nIf this is real,you already dead!

$s20この1号機の調整だって$nまだ俺用になってないじゃないか!$n$eこれはプログラマーの$nお前の責任だぞ!ルシエ!?$n
$s20Mechanic's no.1 task$nis to adjust it. No doubt!$n$eThis is Programmer's repondsibility,$nisn't it?! Lucille!?

$s20ハハハ!$nお前達はいつもその調子だな?$n$e仲良くやらないと俺は倒せんぞ!$n
$s20Hahaha!$nAre you two always like that?$n$eSeem to happily getting along!$n

I will try fixing other suggestions as mentioned.

CleanSweep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks about the grammar suggestion.

For Image 008 and 014. I use capital letter because they are specific words from Japanese text.
As you can see here in the quote "".
'Test Battle' and 'Test Pilot' use hiragana characters. Different from other characters following in the back.
"テストバトル" 終了よ!
"テストパイロット" の腕が悪いのよ!

That's weird, because there's nothing in the context of the sentences that would justify capitalizing that stuff (it might be a weird Japanese quirk).

There are "space limit" for us to entering the character.
So we have to maintain the length of English sentence to have the same length with Japanese sentence,
or else, the game would crashed.

So I remove some words and then.. it's become false grammar, or even false meaning. My bad..
This is quite an headache problem.

I am familiar with the problem. That's why I need to see all the lines translated into English, so I can follow the flow of the dialogue and try to come up with the best lines to fit the space limits. I did notice that there's some leeway with the line length (like one or two characters), so I came up with a quick solution for the first one you posted:
$s20何言ってんの!$n実戦ならアンタは死んでんのよ!$n
$s20Say what!$nIf this was real,you'd already be dead!

It's literally one letter longer than the Japanese text in MadEdit. The other ones are going to need more work, which I need to do later.

Edit: I'm not so certain about that leway now, since it was an artifact of MadEdit's weird column wrapping.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended