Translation SD Gundam G Generation Overworld english translation

BlitzkriegOmega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been lurking this thread for a while, and I'm super impressed with all of the hard work everyone's putting into making this game both translated and look even better than it already does.

as I eagerly await the day you finish this, a question keeps popping into my mind:
"How much of this patching software can be used on World?"
given they run on the same engine with the same UIs, I keep wondering if a menu patch could be made for World, even if the game itself never gets a translation like this one, given how time consuming the process is.

also, I've noticed earlier in the thread that someone tried to put subtitles in the pilot sprites for cutscenes. wouldn't that also affect the same sprite in battle?

Reactions: Jake Dalzell

danikk

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Welcome to the forum!

For the PSP version of World the patching process should be pretty much identical, as it uses the same storage and texture formats as Overworld. Some of the translated Menu texture could probably be reused too (some menu textures are in the game since Spirits).
The Wii version is more difficult, unpackig is not a problem, it uses a different, but more easily unpackable CPK format that actually has a file structure, which is a plus (No need to search randomly trouhg ID files). For the textures, my TXD tool only can decode the Wii format textures right now, and I would need to write the encoding half as well. I believe repacking the iso is fairly different for Wii games than PSP games, but I'm not really familiar with the process (although I'm fairly certain its possible to repack it).

Whenever World will get a full translation or not, I don't know (I vaguely remember someone saying somwhere he would like to continue with World after Overworld is complete, but I'm not sure). It will probably be decided once the translation for Overworld is completed.

For the cutscene subtitles, only sprites unique to the given cutscene have subtitles on it, precisely because it would show up in normal attacks otherwise.

BlitzkriegOmega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

For the PSP version of World the patching process should be pretty much identical, as it uses the same storage and texture formats as Overworld. Some of the translated Menu texture could probably be reused too (some menu textures are in the game since Spirits).
The Wii version is more difficult, unpackig is not a problem, it uses a different, but more easily unpackable CPK format that actually has a file structure, which is a plus (No need to search randomly trouhg ID files). For the textures, my TXD tool only can decode the Wii format textures right now, and I would need to write the encoding half as well. I believe repacking the iso is fairly different for Wii games than PSP games, but I'm not really familiar with the process (although I'm fairly certain its possible to repack it).

Whenever World will get a full translation or not, I don't know (I vaguely remember someone saying somwhere he would like to continue with World after Overworld is complete, but I'm not sure). It will probably be decided once the translation for Overworld is completed.

For the cutscene subtitles, only sprites unique to the given cutscene have subtitles on it, precisely because it would show up in normal attacks otherwise.

I was talking about the PSP version of world, I probably should have been more specific. and I'm glad to hear there's a possibility of World getting the same love Overworld is getting, but of course, one game at a time.

I just remembered a mechanic that I hope someone decides to dig into at some point. the Passwords. I remember back when this game launched, there was a now-defunct website you signed up for, put in a code, got a new code, and put THAT code into Overworld, and you'd get a MS or option-part that would have otherwise been impossible to get in the main-game. do you think you'll be able to crack how that code-system works for those who want units like the Musha and Knight Gundams right away? or the free 5-levels for pilots and/or MS?

BlitzkriegOmega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could possibly use "nop the check"-style techniques to connect your own codes to those rewards. They did this for the PSP Digimon translation.
nop the check? what exactly is that? care to explain? or possibly try to experiment with it a bit? I'm sure you're probably a bit busy, but anything to help with this game would probably be appreciated by everyone.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It goes like:
1) Compute checksum
2) Compare to stored checksum, if no match, go to (1)
3) do_something()

Now we go into the game code and change (2) to nop. So then it becomes:
1) Compute checksum
2) Do nothing
3) do_something()

Now, do_something() will always work no matter what code you put. Hopefully that's clear. Anything else would be even more invasive and harder.

If you change the stored checksum and change the code also, you eventually wind up with:
1) Load input (skip computing the checksum)
2) Compare to stored "checksum" (really a programmer-decided value), if no match, go to (1)
3) do_something()

"the check" - it is validating something against something else. That's the check. It could be anything, really. I think image files in Dungeon Travelers 2 had a checksum in them. They were changing the images and it wasn't working due to that, so they nopped the check.
If you nop the check (change relevant instructions to nop [no operation]), then it bypasses the check.

BetaXenon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
1) Compute checksum
2) Do nothing
3) do_something()
Actually, it's SHOULD do something in second step in cases if there is multiple unlock codes. Not all want to unlock all bonuses in one go, especially balance breakers. But i belive it's still possible to just change codes for easier ones.

Last edited by BetaXenon,

BlitzkriegOmega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow, I had forgotten about the whole "password" unlockables.

Hmm, if one could edit acceptable passwords and/or what items you get...nah, the game would be too easy then ^_^"

With that said, I am all for creating a password that unlocks all password related content.
This game's already too easy. I just want to have access to some of the units that are otherwise impossible to get until after you unlock the Halphas Gundam. mainly the Mushas and the Knight Gundam...

but yeah. Patchwork Crossbone and Epyon EW kinda snap the game in two considering the former's evolutions and the Later pairing up with Prince Ali way too well.

AdanK85

Game Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
From what I translated, as far as I can remember, you get consumables, special unit(s) or OP parts. Did a bit of research and I saw users in another forum did sharing of passwords back then. Odd thing is, not all passwords are applicable for all users.

danikk

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I tried every idea I had for now on fixing the passwords, but didn't have any luck getting it to work.

However there are some good news as well, while working on the passwords, I have found the (surprisingly trivial) reason why the texture patch doesn't work on newer versions of PPSSPP, so the next released version will run on the newest version (the current one works as well if the files are renamed, see below).

Here is the reason:
Between PPSSPP 1.0 and 1.1 they changed that the main file loader loads files in in a case sensitive way.
The original files ar called "DATAUMD.CPK" and "DATAINS.DNS".
The files in the patch are named "DATAUMD.cpk" and "DATAINS.dns" (this is how the packer outputs it)
The emulator never found the two files due to the extensions not being capitalized, and crashed/frozen because there was no data to load.

AdanK85

Game Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
?? I think you made some typos there.

Edit: Anyway, uni exam in ~ a month time but I think I will be using up most of this time to prepare for the exam. Been going to the library lately, hope I can keep this up since there are quite a bit of material that need to be covered this semester.

I will still do the usual cross check with cleansweep whenever possible. I should be totally free by the end of June, which is when my exams end.

Last edited by AdanK85,

BlackDog61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Out of curiosity can anyone recommend any other mecha based SRPGs other than SD gundam for me to play? preferably English ones or at least with english menus/basics translations. Dosnt have to be PSP.
A bit late but, it looks like no one mentioned
Zone of the Enders, the Fist of Mars (GBA)
Although the GBA is old, this is a great game with regards to story and anime mood.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I was wondering if you have already altered the title screen graphics and others, or if you'd like help in that area?

BetaXenon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Although the GBA is old, this is a great game with regards to story and anime mood.

GBA maybe old, but it's have a very good emulator for Android. Good thing to use in traveling (thought it's greatly shortening time to next recharging). And PSP have one as well, which allowing to play much longer.

AdanK85

Game Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Blackdog61: I was wondering if you have already altered the title screen graphics and others, or if you'd like help in that area?

I got a feeling the original was English to begin with. That or, Gilliel777 might have already covered those for us. The rest are posted as images/video on the OP post.

2uylohw.png

i70jlx.png

Edit: BetaXenon
Ops, sorry. I forgot to clarify. Most of the delays come from real life circumstances. That being said, gaming might be a small portion of it too. :P~

Last edited by AdanK85,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment