Hardware SD card got corrupted, can anyone give me advice?

Cyber Akuma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I haven't used my Wii in a while, and I always wanted to upgrade it's 16GB card to a 32GB one.

So I got some good 32GB cards last Black Friday, and when I put the 16GB card in my PC to make a backup, it kept crashing and failing to read it, so I (stupidly) ran a chkdsk and it found a T.R. Tolken novel's length of errors, and it kept deleting supposedly inaccessible folders left and right.

I tried to copy what I could, but a lot of it was useless, and about all I recovered was my homebrew apps, which I don't care about since I can just re-download those from the homebrew channel anyway (plus I am pretty sure a lot of individual files on said apps got corrupted too anyway, so they would just crash if I tried to use them).

Unfortunately, the "private" folder was one of these corrupted folders. From what I understand, this is where the Wii places any official non-homebrewed data, right?

Thankfully, all of my savegames are on the Wii's internal memory (I think.... REALLY hope that didn't get corrupted), so at least my savegames are still there, but I had moved pretty much ALL of my both official and unofficial Wiiware to my SD card.

Is there any way to recover this? Or even tell what I had installed as WiiChannel/WiiWare data? Would I even be able to reinstall this without the app store?

Or perhaps, could there be any chance (highly highly doubt it, especially since I ran a chkdsk) to recover the SD card?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try using TestDisk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

TestDisk itself can usually recover files from reformatted/corrupted FAT32 directories.

TestDisk also includes PhotoRec, which doesn't depend on file system remnants, but that can only recover files with known headers. (Wii save files in /private/ are encrypted, so PhotoRec won't find them.)

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you are done with all your recovery tasks do not use the card until you format it with the Panasonic SD Formatter. Make sure you have a quality card reader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Wasn't it Scarlet and Violet?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Dunno, I stay in the EoF.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    The craze must've had died down by then.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some... +1