Hardware Scratches on screen, even after being so careful.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
OP
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Then maybe a screen protector should've been used?
Alright, enough people are mentioning this, so I'll say that I did buy a screen protector day one with the Switch. THIS screen protector. From the reviews, you can probably guess that this was an absolute disaster, and I ordered a tempered glass one that same day.

That aside, I really was so careful with my system that only subpar manufacturing could be the true subject worthy of blame, but I guess it really is just my word for proof. Neither my Vita nor my PSP needed a screen protector, and they've both seen much longer and much more vigorous use.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are those scratches really visible at all when the screen is turned on?
Nope. Even with the screen off and knowing where to look for them, they're still hard to see.

Last edited by Meteor7, , Reason: Bad grammar is bad.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Let's not pretend that this is a Switch exclusive problem. I had many smartphones in my life (Galaxy S1, Xperia Play, Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S6 Edge+, Ipod Touch 4) with Gorilla Glass and all of them had some fine scratches, even though I treated them like a raw egg. Yes even Gorilla Glass can scratch easily, it just need a dust grain and friction. I'm not sure why people are so shocked, Nintendo didn't use Gorilla Glass (and never did, not for the 3DS nor for the WiiU), so it should be common sense, that it's easier to scratch. If you can't life with (almost invisible) scratches, then slap a fckin screen protector on it. Nintendo offers official licensed screen protectors for the WiiIU, 3DS and Switch for a reason!
I have a tempered glass screen protector on my Note 3, not even Gorilla Glass, and the protector is still in pristine condition after 2-3 years of being put in various pockets and even put together with my keys numerous times by accident. It takes quite a lot to scratch a glass screen, it would have been a much better choice for the Switch.
True they have never used glass screens before but there wasn't really a need for it with the clamshell design their more recent handhelds have had.
Alright, enough people are mentioning this, so I'll say that I did buy a screen protector day one with the Switch. THIS screen protector. From the reviews, you can probably guess that this was an absolute disaster, and I ordered a tempered glass one that same day.

That aside, I really was so careful with my system that only subpar manufacturing could be the true subject worthy of blame, but I guess it really is just my word for proof. Neither my Vita nor my PSP needed a screen protector, and they've both seen much longer and much more vigorous use.

Nope. Even with the screen off and knowing where to look for them, they're still hard to see.
I have the same screen protector (it came with the accessories pack I got)
No issues so far with the screen protector itself, however the cleaning cloth left red lint all over the screen as I was trying to clean the screen before applying the protector itself.
Also I managed to get a speck of dust on the center of the screen protector when I took it off to adjust the positioning and several attempts at removing the speck with tape all failed so I gave up on it, that's my own fault though and has nothing to do with the screen protector. I'm going to get a glass screen protector soon anyway, this is just a temporary one since it was all I could get my hands on the day I got the Switch.

However I can see why people complain about the size, it was really hard to get it placed exactly right so that it wouldn't overlap the edges of the screen but once it's on properly you can't even tell it's there (well minus that speck of dust), the fit is so perfect, which I actually rather like.
Screen protectors always take some effort to get on right but there is absolutely no margin for error on this particular one. That's not necessarily a bad thing though as it makes for a seamless fit.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

ktomi96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I was worried when i heard about the dock scratching issue.After i week of the relese i bought a screen protector. I didnt had any problem even though i brought switch to school every day.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can't get a refund and get the AmFilm protector instead?

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
OP
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Then what's the problem? Heck, I have a screen protector applied but I failed to apply it properly and there are a few bubbles, but they aren't visible when the screen is turned on.
The problem is that, with the way I've been babying the system, it should be pristine. Seriously, I've done everything short of swaddling it in bedclothes and a diaper.

benson733

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I ordered tempered glass and put it on my consoles screen the week it was new. Not a single air bubble. I watch the YouTube channel Jerry Rigs Everything (Highly recommend checking it out) and the screen is actually a hardness level 3 of 10 meaning it's plastic and basically anything from keys to coins, dust, rings and even other plastic can scratch the damn thing. Tempered glass screen protectors are a must!

Reactions: DarkOrb

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's no wonder you have scratches... Switch has the worse touch surface than any other 300$ device...

Even most 50$ crap smartphones usually have a better touch surface...

It's Nintendo's fault, they forgot to add the oleophobic coat which is what protects from scratches, it doesn't allow fat or anything to glue to the screen and it's also what make your fingers glide over the touch surface, while switch touch surface is just rough and dirt glues to it and it's just hard to clean...

A olephobic glass screen protector is a must have and gets easy and fast to clean too...

Reactions: whateverg1012

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then what's the problem? Heck, I have a screen protector applied but I failed to apply it properly and there are a few bubbles, but they aren't visible when the screen is turned on.

Not an issue in a pitch dark room, but if you ever play it with light around, it gets pretty annoying as the kinds of scratches OP has are clearly visible.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

abdul85pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I recommend Jet Tech temperd glass to protect the screen.
Perfect fit, top quality.

Also because I'm using Mumba protector, I've got Hori stand + special cable extender for the dock.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: