Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Scognito's Nautilus script for DLDI patcher

For all you Linux users

GBAtemp member scognito has created a small application for Linux users for easier DLDI patching.
scognito said:
This script designed for Nautilus offer right-click ability to patch nds files.
After unpacking, copy the folder Patch with in /home/youruser/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts or double click the install.sh file and then select execute.
Download it from our Downloads Centre below!

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Home page

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
hopefully such tools won't be of any use in a near future, when flash card manufacturers add a "DLDI autopatching" feature to their flash card operating systems or firmwares!
I will personally ask the R4 team about this feature, as I'm in contact with them (writing the official french translation and also fixing the english version).

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
After having a closer look this script collection seems to be a little bit over the top... I don't think all these DLDI files and the patching util should be in Nautilus' script folder and most of these scripts are useless to most people who only have one or two cards anyways.

Here's what works for me:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/media/EXT3/Backup/NDS/DLDI/dlditool /media/EXT3/Backup/NDS/DLDI/sclt.dldi $@
Put this into a +x chmodded file in your ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts folder and change the path to dlditool and the dldi you want to use. Same result, much less overhead.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
After having a closer look this script collection seems to be a little bit over the top... I don't think all these DLDI files and the patching util should be in Nautilus' script folder and most of these scripts are useless to most people who only have one or two cards anyways.

Here's what works for me:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/media/EXT3/Backup/NDS/DLDI/dlditool /media/EXT3/Backup/NDS/DLDI/sclt.dldi $@
Put this into a +x chmodded file in your ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts folder and change the path to dlditool and the dldi you want to use. Same result, much less overhead.

it just copies a bunch of scripts to the nautilus script folder so that they appear when you right click, the dldi utility and patches are stored in the same folder for easy referencing. It isn't complicated but is pretty useful and elegant. Don't want all the files then just delete the scripts you don't need from the patch with folder.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
it just copies a bunch of scripts to the nautilus script folder so that they appear when you right click, the dldi utility and patches are stored in the same folder for easy referencing. It isn't complicated but is pretty useful and elegant. Don't want all the files then just delete the scripts you don't need from the patch with folder.
Well, if this is elegant, then what would you refer to as clumsy? Having all that crap in the script directory is the exact opposite of elegant, IMHO. For example, why even have an install script when you can't choose what to install and where? Also the recursive calling of several scripts doesn't exactly look very stylish to me - you have the possibility to script all this, after all.

I'm not saying I could do it better, I just say that you can do it with much less overhead.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, if this is elegant, then what would you refer to as clumsy? Having all that crap in the script directory is the exact opposite of elegant, IMHO. For example, why even have an install script when you can't choose what to install and where? Also the recursive calling of several scripts doesn't exactly look very stylish to me - you have the possibility to script all this, after all.

I'm not saying I could do it better, I just say that you can do it with much less overhead.

As I mentioned before if you don't want overhead then delete the unwanted scripts from the patch with folder before the install, there are many scripts to accommodate all the different cart owners out there.

The installer has to install in that directory otherwise it won't appear in the nautilus right click menu, thats why there isn't an install option.

Its simple to script this but im sure some people are not great with shell scripts and will find this useful.

If you could explain to me a better arrangement then I would love to hear it
smile.gif

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
The installer has to install in that directory otherwise it won't appear in the nautilus right click menu, thats why there isn't an install option.
Of course, the scripts can't be anywhere else. But dlditool and *.dldi can. Making a tutorial like you did for dldi patching would've been the far better solution for this problem, IMHO (like, tell people where to put dlditool, open a text file in the nautilus script folder, copy & paste there). If you're working with Linux knowing these basic things about scripts is essential knowledge. People who don't know these things won't know how to execute a shell script, too
wink.gif

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The installer has to install in that directory otherwise it won't appear in the nautilus right click menu, thats why there isn't an install option.Of course, the scripts can't be anywhere else. But dlditool and *.dldi can. Making a tutorial like you did for dldi patching would've been the far better solution for this problem, IMHO (like, tell people where to put dlditool, open a text file in the nautilus script folder, copy & paste there). If you're working with Linux knowing these basic things about scripts is essential knowledge. People who don't know these things won't know how to execute a shell script, too
wink.gif

good point, but remember not all the people that use Linux are gurus, we have to accommodate the newbies/lazy people until they have learned enough to do these thing on their own. If people want I can write a small menu to install scripts for their carts only

scognito

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

I wrote in the README.txt to delete the dldi you don't want.
I think my solution is the best for user who just doesn't want to bother with shell and such, just double click as in windows for install.
Most people doesn't take care of having some small 1k file in script dir...
It is simple, fast, and functional: no superuser permission, no files anywhere in the filesystem etc... Don't want it anymore? Delete that dir and everything will disappear. I think THIS is what most newbie/lazy user want. Who is able to use CLI can use that or make some shell script, but i repeat most people like it for the fast and easy way to patch.
Cheers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo