Hacking SaveMii and the Recovery Menu - A Guide

FenrirWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know the drill—someone managed to screw something up while upgrading or downgrading the System Menu or applying an update. He makes a frantic plea on the board looking to see if there's anything he can do with a Wii that no longer has a System Menu. Inevitably someone will come along and say "hay did u try savemiifree press all 4 buttons on the dpad of ur gcn controller." Then the convo will go along and perhaps end up with some guy investing in a SaveMii or result in a GCN controller's D-Pad being offered as a sacrifice to the angry Nintendo gods in an attempt to revitalize his console.

But guess what? Most of the time the recovery menu won't do diddly-squat for you. In order for it to be worth anything the following conditions must be met:

-The recovery menu is a part of the System Menu and therefore the System Menu MUST be present. If you've deleted it, you're not saving anything for frii unless you have BootMii/boot2. If you are banner bricked, theme bricked, or have Error 003, the recovery menu IS accessible. Whether or not that helps you at all depends on the next few factors.

-The System Menu's IOS must be present and functional. If it's gone or replaced by a stub then the menu can't boot up, simple as that.

-You must have a hack in place that disables the diagnostic disc check or no game disc will autoboot, regardless of whether it's legit or burnt. Some modchips can also force a disc to autoboot from the recovery menu, but I don't know all the details about that. Use Preloader or StartPatch to disable the diagnostic disc check.

-The System Menu's IOS must have the trucha bug if you're going to try booting modified discs (i.e. Wad Manager disc) from it.

-If you plan to autoboot into a game with a hacked save file (i.e. Indiana Pwns or the Twilight Hack) and run homebrew from there, said save has to already be installed to the console.

-Finally, it's a lot easier to get into the menu if you apply one of the Preloader/StartPatch hacks to remap the recovery menu call. That way you won't have to gut out your GCN's D-Pad to be able to press all four directions at once.

----------------------------------------------------

Okay, now you're all set up to use the recovery menu! But what is it actually good for? The simple answer is "not much." If you're still kicking around on 3.2 you can autoboot into Zelda TP and launch Wad Manager from the TP hack to resolve semi-bricks. The same can be done with Lego Indiana Jones and the Indiana Pwns hack on any non-japanese firmware.

USA users can also attempt to launch SSBB and run recovery tools from Smash Stack. This method has the added bonus of not requiring a hacked savegame to run since it exploits a vulnerability in Brawl's stage builder. However, the USA version of Brawl will NOT autoboot without first disabling the diagnostic disc check via Preloader or StartPatch.

The thing is, the same tasks are far easier to accomplish with Preloader. And since the conditions for being able to use Preloader and the recovery menu are more or less the same, there's not much point to wasting a DVD-R on Wad Manager or something except in specific circumstances where Preloader might be deleted but the recovery menu remains accessible and functional. But Preloader, much like the Recovery Menu, will only work if you've installed it and set it up BEFORE you brick yourself. If there's one thing I'm trying to teach with this guide, it's that preparation is the key to surviving a brick.

Frankly, I find that the most useful feature of the recovery menu is being able to autoboot directly into Brawl without needing a Wiimote to navigate the System Menu. But since I load everything from USB nowadays that's also become more or less a moot point. If it were able to autoboot GCN games then I'd really love it since it would eliminate the need for a Wiimote to get them started.

Hopefully you all have found this guide useful in discovering how not-useful the recovery menu is. Now stop suggesting its use in situations where it won't do jack, okay? Thanks.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
perfect, exactly what was needed.
people need to know that this recovery menu cant really do much unless those conditions are met.

-You must have a hack in place that disables the diagnostic disc check or your discs won't autoboot. I think some modchips can also force a disc to autoboot from the recovery menu, but don't quote me on that one. Use Preloader or StartPatch to disable the diagnostic disc check.

i can quote you on that.
ive had a drivekey and it booted zelda TP and smash bros without any hacks no problem

FenrirWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, that's good to know.

With that in mind, just about the only other use of the menu would be to install a modchip, then autoboot brawl to run Smash Stack on a banner bricked Wii or something.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
not that this really makes a whole lot of a difference but none the less it comes to mind. You can also recover from THEME bricks with both the savemiifrii (basic recovery menu) and pre-loader if conditions are met.. (ive personally done this but bear in mind i am also a 3.2U users and that could vary from FW to FW idunno TBH...Finrirwolf might know more about that...But i can tell you installing your original 000000XX.app file with MyMenuify or Softmii tweaks will recover any theme related bricks.

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
vettacossx said:
not that this really makes a whole lot of a difference but none the less it comes to mind. You can also recover from THEME bricks with both the savemiifrii (basic recovery menu) and pre-loader if conditions are met.. (ive personally done this but bear in mind i am also a 3.2U users and that could vary from FW to FW idunno TBH...Finrirwolf might know more about that...But i can tell you installing your original 000000XX.app file with MyMenuify or Softmii tweaks will recover any theme related bricks.
or installing a theme that you know works

FenrirWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good point, I'll be sure to add theme bricks to the list of things that can potentially be fixed by this. In theory it could be possible for region-changed Korean Wiis to recover from Error 003 this way as well if a modchip can successfully autoboot something like SSBB and run unsigned code from there.

illinialex24

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it really depends on what you have.

But its not that useful, I did use the preloader hacks to make sure I have easy access to it, but thats in vain.

I have bootmii with a nand dump, cboot2, and preloader. I don't foolishly update either, its not bricking soon (keep in mind I'm the only user who turns it on).

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent topic, Fenrirwolf. I have never been in any tricky situations that would require recovery mode, and now that I know how useless it is, I know that I'll never need it.

With luck, this may get stickied and could reduce the savemiifrii chatter on the board.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
just re-read this looks real solid bro and stickie would be a gr8 idea for this one. More than that adding this to our guides that are currently stickied would mean that many less confused end users in the long run
smile.gif
nice work wolf

bdw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this might sounds sill, but how do you navigate around in Recovery ?
I've got a nice big 4.1(USA) on the bottom right of my screen, but I can't get anywhere from there.

FenrirWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't really "navigate" to anything. Assuming you've got everything set up properly it'll automatically start up a game or homebrew disc that's in your drive shortly after displaying your firmware version in the corner. If not, it'll just hang on that screen.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
System Menu 4.1, HBC, 249r14 222/222v4
Ok, preloader installed... check
hacks.ini... check

enable:
[Remove diag disc check]
version=449
offset=0x813794A0
value=0x60000000

now.... there are 2 more...

[Recovery Mode (DISABLE below hack first)]
version=449
offset=0x8137A854,0x813794A0
value=0x48000020,0x60000000
[Recovery Mode press RIGHT on gc pad 4P]
version=449
offset=0x8137A86C,0x813794A0
value=0x2C000002,0x60000000

enabling the 1st (2nd disabled) takes me to a black 4.1(USA) screen anytime i try to goto the system menu... dont want that... so disable 1st, enable 2nd...

gamecube controller in P4... power off(red), power on, hold right on gc pad in P4.... boots to installed file in preloader(wiiflow forwarder.dol).... !?!

both 1 & 2 disabled, nother modified gc controller in P4 (has nub removed to press all directions at once), power on, press pad.... boots installed file.

I am not currently bricked, the disc i have is a downloaded autoboot HBC dvd (burnt to DVD-R with ImgBurn), i can launch it from the disc load menu in USBLoaderGX and up pops HBC.

when hack 1 (auto recovery menu) is on and 2nd is disabled, and i do get to the black 4.1(USA) screen... insert disc... nothing...
reboot (leaving disc in)... preloader... choose system menu... 4.1(USA) screen... and still nothing...

What am i missing/doing wrong/being a disgrace to newbs???

FenrirWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To clarify, your goal is to boot a disc that will autoboot the HBC?

I think you have Preloader configured to boot your installed dol instead of the System Menu. You'll have to tell it to boot the menu instead of this dol first of all. Also, has your IOS60 been patched with the trucha bug?

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to make sure stuff is ready in the even something goes wrong in the future, that's my goal.

yes, preloader is configured to load a boot dol (wiiflow forwarder), and to return to preloader.

60 is patched with the trucha bug.

So, your saying to get to a recovery menu, i cannot use preloader to pre load something other then the system menu? this is one of the main reasons i installed preloader... so i dont have to look at the wii system menu... it just boots up into WiiFlow.

My goal at this point is to set the system up how i normally use it... and to test the recovery menu in case i ever need it.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ozzymud said:
So, your saying to get to a recovery menu, i cannot use preloader to pre load something other then the system menu? this is one of the main reasons i installed preloader... so i dont have to look at the wii system menu... it just boots up into WiiFlow.

My goal at this point is to set the system up how i normally use it... and to test the recovery menu in case i ever need it.

If you've got preloader, then the recovery menu is largely irrelevant. You can't get banner or theme bricked as you aren't using the system menu.
You can get bricked, but what stops preloader from working will probably stop the recovery menu working too.

FenrirWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smf said:
ozzymud said:

If you've got preloader, then the recovery menu is largely irrelevant. You can't get banner or theme bricked as you aren't using the system menu.
You can get bricked, but what stops preloader from working will probably stop the recovery menu working too.
Indeed. You'd be hard pressed to come up with a scenario that would kill Preloader but leave the recovery menu functioning.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't get banner or theme bricked as you aren't using the system menu....

i didnt say i aint using the system menu, i am only bypassing it, i would like to start skinning it as some of the ISO forwarders do not work yet... WGOE00 (World of Goo), and others have not been created yet (an i still aint try'd my luck at making em), so i occasionally use HBC to load an app that takes me back to the system menu (which is why i wanna skin it).

I also install/remove a lot of wads(forwarders/channels/etc)... just wanna be protected for the might happens.

bootmii cannot be installed boot2 on this system... so outta luck there. (installed as IOS)
luckally i got the patched .29-JODI so if i can get to preloader, i can run HBC.

sooo... preloader .29 --> installed file ---> return to preloader = no recovery menu for me?

Edit: so... banner or them bricks will not kill preloader? so unless i screw up badly and stub my 60 or something stupid, im safe to theme and wad install/remove all i want?

FenrirWolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. You can use Preloader to fix banner and theme bricks by using Preloader to boot into the HBC, then Wad Manager and removing bad wads from there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol