Homebrew Save State

Lost My Mind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I have been running homebrew a number of months now, sure there was the initial humps to get over, but through using google I managed to answer all of my questions myself. At the time I had a 1GB card, and now I have a 4GB card. So my Innitial idea was to copy everything on the card to a folder in windows, put in the 4GB card and then copy everything I originally had to this 4GB card and everything should be fine, since the newest HBC supports SDHC, right? Not quite....

After about an hour of thinking none of my emulators worked right because of the difference in SD card formats (fat on the 1GB, fat32 on the 4GB) i tried to format in fat but my copy of windows XP only lists fat32 as an option, nothing else. I found a program that was supposed to format it in fat SDformatter2.0 and selected fat but somehow after about 10 minutes it came out fat32.

Being highly irritated at this point, i made the decision into googling other possable problems. Turns out some emulators only recently added SDHC support, and that i'd need to update the emulator itself. tried thic with FCE Ultra GX. I forget the version I updated to, but as far as I know its the most recent. The games suddenly worked, but now comes the problems i'm currently on

I went to load a save state for a game i've been playing on and off and......nothing, it acts like it loads a state, but its just the exact same spot i was just at....the title screen!

Exit out of the emulator, swap out the 4gb card, swap in the old 1GB (which has everything still intact, no updates, everythings still the same on this card). I reloaded the HBC so its reading the 1GB card, go back into the same game i was just at, load the same save state, and it loads just fine.

Put the 4GB card into the computer to check if the .sav file is there, and it is. Its in the same spot its on in the 1GB card.

How do I make the newest FCE Ultra GX emulator read the save state files of the older version?

Do I have to convert them?

blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

netware

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it seems that the problem is that the emulator is still not reading correctly from a SDHC card...

the problem is not converting it or anything..

you just need to wait (or do it yourself... if you can code/compile :S.. ) for a version that does work correctly with SDHC cards..

you could also try letting the wii format the card..

hope it helps somehow..

Lost My Mind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how can the wii format the card? how would i do this? (not sarcasm)

Also, if it matters i'm on 3.2U and not yet willing to go to 4.0 until i see its actually safe

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wii won't really format the card unless its damaged. TO format use you're computer and format it to FAT or FAT32.

Also, the SDHC card works in the HBC, however the emulators themselves may not support SDHC.

Lost My Mind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new card is already fat32, but the old card was just fat. (too much spaghetti? maybe....mama mia! )

Anyways, the 4GB is the one i'm trying to start using, and its fat32. The 1GB is fat. I've searched all over for a way to format the 4gb into fat, its not an option from my computer. Windows XP SP2. The emulater version of FCE Ultra GX is the newer version (had to update it) and supposedly it does support SDHC, i'm also on the newest (to my knowledge) HBC 1.0.1 i think? Which supports SDHC.

Interesting fact though, if i were to format it in fat, i wouldn't get the full 4gb (well, the 3.86 anyways, you always loose just a bit of the actual said GB) because that format only supports to 2GB.

Another interesting note, i pulled up another game, i save stated that game, and it worked, i loaded it, it worked, but save states made from the 1GB card, not working.

Stroganoff

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Indeed save states are not compatible among different versions of the same emu in some cases. (Example: ZSNES) Your best bet is to load the state with the old version and then use the in-game saving procedure. If there isn't any, I don't think you can do a lot about it.

Lost My Mind

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you were right. After trying different versions of the emulator itself, I found 2.0.7 actually still works with my save states. It feels like a victory and a setback to me....In one regard I gained back all my NES save states for games that were released before the popularity of in-game saving. In another regard, now that I have SDHC, I have to also go back and update/downgrade/tinker with every emulator I have, and also loose the other applications that never got SDHC support....anyone know of SDHC versions of the following applications:

DopeWars
Hugo GX
Mplayer
SMS Plus
WiiSX (i know its not an official release yet, but i like trying the newest pre-betas of this one)

I tried getting the newest Snes9X GX, and it works, but, i cant load saves in the .srm format anymore. They are in the right place, same place they were before. For some reason 009 reads them, but 4.0.0 does not. I'll stick with 009 for the moment.
i got my nes, and gba emulators working at least!

I'll probably have some/ a lot of these programs updated before anyone see's this message, but every bit helps. Dopewars and Mplayer especially needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi