Hacking Official SaltFW - "Slim Alternative Firmware"

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AGB_FIRM is not patched. Is the pathchanger required? I just placed ShadowFW.bin on root of sd renamed as arm9loaderhax.bin.

Edit: Are AGB_FIRM patch offsets different for 9.2 as comparted to 10.4 Native FIRM?
There hasn't been a new AGB_FIRM since 6.0, so that shouldn't be the issue... Can you try enabling "Use SysNAND FIRM as default", and "autoboot sysnand" in ARN, and try your GBA games again?

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, let's bash any and all prospective developers just because they want to make their own projects \o/

Also, let's make a CFW war instead of giving proper feedback to each CFW developer and make them ragequit Gbatemp too.

Is there any wonder why this place is considered a hellhole?
Yes let's all make projects forks off someone else's work, make the feature set slightly different and slap our name on it. Sounds great to me.

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Yes let's all make projects forks off someone else's work, make the feature set slightly different and slap our name on it. Sounds great to me.
Is there anything wrong with forking? It adds more options, I remember the Palantine CFW days, didn't want to use Palantine's CFW? Hope you like Gateway bro

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anything wrong with forking? It adds more options, I remember the Palantine CFW days, didn't want to use Palantine's CFW? Hope you like Gateway bro
The issue here is that this is the same thing as Mizuki (at the time of writing this), a bare-bones minimalist CFW.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-mizuki-a9lh-sysnand-cfw-for-o3ds-n3ds.421805/

I'm fine with people forking other work as well, it's when something just uses a different name (but is the same thing), that's when people get angry.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a point where forking is useless and it'd be better to actually contribute back to the main project. If everyone made forks of Citra and never pushed changes back, you'd end up with 50 forks with 50 different compatability lists, with issues all around. There's also a point where forking is better, ie if you are going to take a project and do something completely different, but need something to base yourself on. Just as an example, Mystery Machine patcher is forked off HANS, but it's main function is to dump game code and patch it rather than actually do all the things HANS does. This project just strips features for the sake of "minimalism", even though existing CFWs are already pretty minimal and it's not like it'd make a difference adding or taking off a few features.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Please read my post again:

Cool, I haven't been called a kid for quite a while. What you (appearently) don't get is the problem of fragmentation of the code base. It's OK to fork if you add some real work (and I'll give @Shadowhand the benefit of the doubt that he will), but if your fork does only one thing, all you do is fragment the userbase and make support (in this forum for example) a nightmare. Another thing that happens often is, that forks fail to keep up with improvements upstream, so you get a thousand useless forks down the way and have to convince many, many "minimalists" having problems that their fork of choice is outdated.

I didn't say @Shadowhand will do so, but I've seen it many, many times.

Also, like I already said: ARN is not blotware. If you manage to set up A9LH, you can manage to set up one or two ticks in the config on the first boot. And in times of 250GB microSD cards, I don't see the benefit of saving a few KiB either.

Too many forks can hurt an open source project, they should be rare and only used when adding real value and keeping up with changes upstream.

We'll see if @Shadowhand will do this.

I never said anything against forking, I warned about one-feature forks, because in my opinion, they hurt the community and are a bitch to support.

Docmudkipz

Novice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue here is that this is the same thing as Mizuki (at the time of writing this), a bare-bones minimalist CFW.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-mizuki-a9lh-sysnand-cfw-for-o3ds-n3ds.421805/

I'm fine with people forking other work as well, it's when something just uses a different name (but is the same thing), that's when people get angry.
Mizuki at least had the cxi loader tossed in. But it's going to get seriously out of hand if we end up with hundreds of forks of the same thing with a different name on the tin. Kinda like soda

Last edited by Docmudkipz,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Please read this. In my opinion it's the best explanation you'll ever get.
There's a point where forking is useless and it'd be better to actually contribute back to the main project. If everyone made forks of Citra and never pushed changes back, you'd end up with 50 forks with 50 different compatability lists, with issues all around. There's also a point where forking is better, ie if you are going to take a project and do something completely different, but need something to base yourself on. Just as an example, Mystery Machine patcher is forked off HANS, but it's main function is to dump game code and patch it rather than actually do all the things HANS does. This project just strips features for the sake of "minimalism", even though existing CFWs are already pretty minimal and it's not like it'd make a difference adding or taking off a few features.

Quoting myself again
I am going to be honest and blunt with you. No, they shouldn't stop forking CFW's, in fact, there should be more forks and CFW's made. The point of making a project Open source, is for others to see and even work on the source code. If someone wants to make their own changes and make their own take on a CFW, it's completely within their own power and right to do so, if the source is open. If the original creator did not want their CFW edited, they would have kept their source code closed off.
Honestly, I am happy to see the community doing the kinds of projects, it's giving options to those who want them. You want a bare-bone cfw without any bells and whistles? Now you have! You want something more fancy? You have options! I am running 4 CFW's on my sysNAND right now and I am god damn happy to see that, because it shows the community is actually interested in these projects.
Quite honestly with your mindset, that would be like telling Ubuntu, "Look, you're good, now there can't be anymore Debian forks." The entire open source community is built on a mix of original ideas and forks from those ideas. That's what makes open source an amazing idea, because it opens the door to new options and projects.

I feel like GBAtemp is mostly made up of people who've clearly never looked at the Linux community. The idea of not forking a project in the GNU world is considered crazy to us. If you have an idea and the talent, then fucking fork it! It's completely within your right to do so. If people don't like it, tough shit, it's open-source.
I never said anything against forking, I warned about one-feature forks, because in my opinion, they hurt the community and are a bitch to support.
It's the extremely salty community that GBAtemp has that hurts the community. People here have become too stagnant. We've stopped wanting to see more projects because are just happy to see one great one instead of wanting to see options.
If people don't want their projects forked, they are completely within their right to close off their source. But if the source is open, then anyone is within their right to fork it.
I also feel like people have forgotten that AuReiNAND started it's life as a fork and that all the CFW's in the community all borrow each other's features.

Last edited by The Catboy,

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 9.2 sysNAND but would love to use this for GBA (it is AuReiNand without the built in loader and I do not use the loader), but launching any GBA results in an error has occurred screen. Can you only use this with updated sysNAND?
If you are getting that error and say ur not using arn's built in loader I'm going to assume ur using a stand alone bootmanager. You need to use the patcher that comes with aureinand to patch the arm9loaderhax.bin from arn. It tells you all this on the wiki. This cfw would make you use sysnand mode so why not just switch arn to sysnand mode?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quoting myself again

I feel like GBAtemp is mostly made up of people who've clearly never looked at the Linux community. The idea of not forking a project in the GNU world is considered crazy to us. If you have an idea and the talent, then fucking fork it! It's completely within your right to do so. If people don't like it, tough shit, it's open-source.

It's the extremely salty community that GBAtemp has that hurts the community. People here have become too stagnant. We've stopped wanting to see more projects because are just happy to see one great one instead of wanting to see options.
If people don't want their projects forked, they are completely within their right to close off their source. But if the source is open, then anyone is within their right to fork it.
I also feel like people have forgotten that AuReiNAND started it's life as a fork and that all the CFW's in the community all borrow each other's features.
Lol, you're funny. You don't see people forking Ubuntu, stripping out a FS driver, and making a "release" of it, do you? Same concept here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat