Hacking Official SaltFW - "Slim Alternative Firmware"

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
While I agree that the more the merrier, how does this differ from something like Mizuki?

Isn't that also a minimalist CFW?
Boot splashes! Other than that, it doesn't seem like too much just yet.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Technically the only ASM I've done is changing the reboot patch to boot a payload instead of a patched FIRM (and thus removing all the FIRM copying stuff and adding a jump), and then adding a fallback to the .dat. I know very little ASM :)

But you managed to read, understand and apply changes to it. You beat this old fart.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would be different about launching GBA games from A9LH 9.2 sysNAND vice a 10.7 sysNAND? GBA does not work for me using 9.2 sysNAND. I have an emuNAND but I assume this mod of AuReiNand will ignore and still launch sysNAND correctly. The CFW boots into sysNAND but GBA not working. This is the reason I want to use your CFW. I only use AuReiNand for GBA from sysNAND and do not need the extra (great features) bells and whistles.

Last edited by stl25,

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshot_2016-04-20-11-15-19.png

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Game attempts to launch and gets the an error has occurred. Press and hold the Power Button to turn the system off. Please refer to the Operations Manual for details. Any ideas? Thanks for your quick reply.
It might be a bad CIA. Try another GBA game or a DSiWare game if you can. If those work, then the problem is in that one CIA.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be a bad CIA. Try another GBA game or a DSiWare game if you can. If those work, then the problem is in that one CIA.

Unfortunately I have 39 GBA cia and none of them work. Previously working under AuReiNand 5.1.2. That is why I inquired about launching from 9.2 sysNAND as I have sysNAND on 9.2 and emuNAND on 10.7.0-32U. I would really love to use a minimal CFW for GBA loading (tried Mizuki previously) but GBA has not worked. In system settings mine shows SysE 9.2.0-20U. Does AGB_FIRM patching in 9.2 work the same as if the user was on 10.7 updated sysNAND?

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
NintendoFW - the best and most widely supported minimalistic CFW

Features :
  • No patches at all - lightweight as hell
  • No payload support.
  • No config, perfect for minimalists and children.
  • Nothing to install.
  • Has a "Recovery mode"
  • No firmware.bin.
  • No EmuNAND.
  • Stability.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Features :
  • No payload support.
  • Nothing to install.
  • Has a "Recovery mode"
  • No firmware.bin.
  • No EmuNAND.
  • Stability.
Not stable enough for my tastes!

luxandark

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Features :
  • No payload support.
  • Nothing to install.
  • Has a "Recovery mode"
  • No firmware.bin.
  • No EmuNAND.
  • Stability.
That's amazing! Where, pray tell, can I find this amazing and minimalist firmware!?

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately I have 39 GBA cia and none of them work. Previously working under AuReiNand 5.1.2. That is why I inquired about launching from 9.2 sysNAND as I have sysNAND on 9.2 and emuNAND on 10.7.0-32U. I would really love to use a minimal CFW for GBA loading (tried Mizuki previously) but GBA has not worked. In system settings mine shows SysE 9.2.0-20U. Does AGB_FIRM patching in 9.2 work the same as if the user was on 10.7 updated sysNAND?

With ARN, try disabling the "use firm from sysnand", see if that fixes it for you. With ShadowFW, it's not possible since I had to remove a lot of checks and code blocks to drop emunand support.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My work is based on ARN. I did small modifications to my liking. It'll stay this way until I can do what I originally wanted to.

I was talking about her, not you. I have several years of experience in C/C++, but I could never wrap my head around ASM on any platform (minus the absolute basics). Anyone could do what you did - removing COMMENTED code parts...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol