Hacking Official SaltFW - "Slim Alternative Firmware"

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Look at the commits. The only changes are the readme, two file paths, and a bunch of removals..
Look at the readme of the first AuReiNAND. There wasn't much to that as well.
People want options, if you don't like that, then you can go somewhere else. If you don't like that there's another CFW, then that's tough shit for you because it's already been made and a thread has already been posted. No amount of pissing and moaning is going to change that.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Look at the commits. The only changes are the readme, two file paths, and a bunch of removals..
It's not the amount of code you wrote/deleted, it's the outcome. I've given proper credits. Pointing out the bad stuff is fine, but all you have is not even constructive criticism, please leave the thread. If think you can do better, please do, so we all benefit from it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the readme of the first AuReiNAND. There wasn't much to that as well.
People want options, if you don't like that, then you can go somewhere else. If you don't like that there's another CFW, then that's tough shit for you because it's already been made and a thread has already been posted. No amount of pissing and moaning is going to change that.
Umm, look at his "first release" commit. He didn't even fully strip it right. There's still emuNAND references.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Umm, look at his "first release" commit. He didn't even fully strip it right. There's still emuNAND references.
It's still a first release, give the guy a break. Like I just said before, it's too late now for your pissing and moaning, it's already been made and released. If you don't like that fact, then sucks to suck.

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
AuReiNAND started out a nothing special CFW that only ported ReiNAND to the old3DS.
People want options, don't damper them because you don't want options.
Porting it to O3DS wasn't easy though (for a programming newbie). Especially since I also had to port the reboot patch and make it configurable :)

Last edited by Aurora Wright,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still a first release, give the guy a break. Like I just said before, it's too late now for your pissing and moaning, it's already been made and released. If you don't like that fact, then sucks to suck.
Release. As in it should at least do what it says right. Now bugs are a different story, but at least do it right.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 9.2 sysNAND but would love to use this for GBA (it is AuReiNand without the built in loader and I do not use the loader), but launching any GBA results in an error has occurred screen. Can you only use this with updated sysNAND?

Last edited by stl25,

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Porting it to O3DS wasn't easy though (for a programming newbie). Especially since I also had to port the reboot patch and make it configurable :)
I'd like to thank you publicly for your great work on ARN.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a 9.2 sysNAND but would love to use this for GBA (it is AuReiNand without the built in loader), but launching any GBA results in an error has occurred screen. Can you only use this with updated sysNAND?
If you have updated sysnand, yes, this has reboot patches. It will work out of the box if you install it the way I explained in the readme (on github)

Release. As in it should at least do what it says right. Now bugs are a different story, but at least do it right.
What's one thing that ShadowFW doesn't do?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to thank you publicly for your great work on ARN.

If you have updated sysnand, yes, this has reboot patches. It will work out of the box if you install it the way I explained in the readme (on github)

What's one thing that ShadowFW doesn't do?
What does it not do? The one thing thing that makes it special. It's minimalism. You have redundant code all because you didn't restructure it.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I wasn't undermining your work, just simply pointing out that just because a project starts out as something "small," doesn't mean it can't grow a life of it's own. Your project started out as simply porting ReiNAND and now it's become the go-to amazing CFW on it's own and stands out from it's parent project.

Simply dumping on a project because it doesn't appear like much isn't the right approach. You are taking this project apart because you don't think it's needed. There is a drive for more choices when it comes to CFW's and people are filing that need.
There's no reason to simply stop at one project and there's no reason to shit on someone who's contributing to the community.

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What does it not do? The one thing thing that makes it special. It's minimalism. You have redundant code all because you didn't restructure it.
Oh wow. It's failing because I didn't go and remove that "u32 emunand" thing in one file (among many). I can't believe. /s

Shadowhand

Slim, Alternative Dev.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That "nothing" is redundant code in a "minimalist" CFW because someone didn't bother removing the code before making a "release" to stroke their ego.
Your argument is weak, so you decided to fall back to ad hominem. Good work.

Last edited by Shadowhand,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You're coding in ARM ASM and call yourself a newbie? You're being way to modest for your awesome work here...
Technically the only ASM I've done is changing the reboot patch to boot a payload instead of a patched FIRM (and thus removing all the FIRM copying stuff and adding a jump), and then adding a fallback to the .dat. I know very little ASM :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.