Hardware Safe To Game On N3DSXL While Charging?

Zeldalife89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was wondering sometimes i want to keep playing or i want to game more than 3 hours i was thinking is it ok and safe to keep on gaming while im charging my device?
I've seen alot of youtubers streaming while playing and charging so i'm assuming its ok?
Want to double check though
I dont want to hurt my system...

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't do it, it could overheat and burn down your house!

Just kidding, charging while playing is perfectly safe. The 3DS charges so slowly it hardly warms up at all, and stays much cooler, then, say, a charging phone. Nothing to worry about.

Frezgle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My old 3DS XL and 2DS have literally been plugged in for months and they're fine. Same with my laptop. I don't think that old "let it drain off-charger and don't use it while it's charging" advice applies to most modern devices.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not always good to do.
It shorten the life of the battert. You can use more then your charging and it shortens the battery.

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Is not good... For your battery. The console is careless about it but if you have like 3 supplementary batteries (if you do that too often), then you're good.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well-designed charging circuits actually power the device off the charger, so the battery is actually not in use when charging. I can't say whether this applies to the 3DS though.
What I wouldn't recommend doing however is leaving the console on the charger when it's fully charged. That might shorten the lifetime of your battery, though not by a lot.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I wouldn't recommend doing however is leaving the console on the charger when it's fully charged. That might shorten the lifetime of your battery, though not by a lot.
Even that's fine, the circuit stops charging once fully charged. The charging circuit takes care of everything with the battery, there's no reason to be concerned. If it didn't, we'd be hearing about exploding 3DSes all the time. Just charge, play, and be happy, and replace the battery every few years if it really concerns you.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Unless I'm mistaken, the batteries and charge controller circuits used on the 3DS and all iterations of that is designed to handle overcharging. In fact, it's better to keep them at high charge than it is to let them drain to empty, as the latter is actually detrimental to the battery life. With the way the charge controller circuits work, they charge at full up to around 75% or so, then as it gets closer to 100%, the charge gets limited, up until the point where it has no need to charge anymore (or at least charge it with such a minuscule amount that it'll never reach full).

Reactions: SaffronXL

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Modern batteries shouldn't be a problem. The worse thing you actually can do to a battery is to overcharge it. Once it mets 100% plug it out. Laptops, phones and 3ds, all the same.

Most phones and laptops stop accepting charge once they reach 100%. That's why you sometime drop to 97% when you plug out your phone for example.

So no, you should be fine gaming while charging. Heck it's easy to switch batteries on N3DS XL anyway.

TheWhopper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I was wondering sometimes i want to keep playing or i want to game more than 3 hours i was thinking is it ok and safe to keep on gaming while im charging my device?
I've seen alot of youtubers streaming while playing and charging so i'm assuming its ok?
Want to double check though
I dont want to hurt my system...

Do the same as with smartphone.
Never ever play till the 3ds goes out. The red light (bottom) means that you have 30% charge left.
If it starts blinking you're at 10-20% (no official infos exist) and should start loading.

Load always to full in one go. You can remove the cable but try to avoid it. You can load when you want (60 / 50 / 30%) doesn't matter but it's much better for the battery life if you start at 10-20%.

Also playing is fine if you load it in one go. Even turning it on / off doesn't do anything to the battery. Just don't let it on the cable with a full battery for too long (like 8 hours or something)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back