• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Russia says "only Italy can adopt Russian children, because it bans same sex couples"

Aurora Wright

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Basically, the usual homophobic Russian lawmakers are at it again, and at the same time they blame America for "pedophilia, violence and brutality" (since they are against violence and brutality), while praising Italy for their banning of homosexual couples (and all sort of rights to LGBT people - I live there sadly):

Russia’s ombudsman for children’s rights has admitted that currently only Italy matches the two main criteria for adoption of Russian children – a bilateral agreement with Russia and a ban on same-sex marriage.
Russian officials are not planning a change to this position and will not allow adoptions to citizens of countries that have not signed bilateral agreements, Pavel Astakhov told Interfax.
This is not our fate. We have national adoption as a priority,” he added.
Russia has signed bilateral adoption agreements with the United States, France and Italy, but the first two documents have since been suspended. The agreement with the United States was canceled after Russia’s repeated complaints that the US authorities barred its diplomats and law enforcers from investigation of violations of the adopted children’s rights – ranging from cruel treatment to sometimes manslaughter.
The pact with France was revoked after it officially legalized gay marriages earlier this year. In June, Russian legislators passed a special law that banned adoptions to foreign same-sex couples.
In the interview, Astakhov again recalled the existing tensions with the US, noting that Russia’s problems with the United States were unique to that nation.
Such cases of pedophilia, violence and brutality as we have in America, we have nothing like that anywhere else,” the ombudsman said.
Earlier this week Russia’s Foreign Ministry officially replied to the enquiry of the European Court of Human Rights. The court acted on behalf of 23 US families that lost an opportunity to adopt the children that they had already found because of the Dima Yakovlev Law. The ECHR also asked for explanation how Russia-US bilateral agreement corresponds to the adoptions ban.
The Foreign Ministry’s plenipotentiary for Human Rights and the Rule of Law, Konstantin Dolgov, replied that many of the mentioned kids had either been adopted by Russian citizens or returned to their biological parents.
In comments to the ECHR enquiry, Pavel Astakhov noted that the Council of Europe had repeatedly given a negative assessment to the practice of cross-border adoptions and said that the CE’s position over the issue matched that of the Russian Federation.
The ombudsman promised that the enquiry would be studied by the Russian Science and Education Ministry, which oversees the problems of orphans and orphanages.
Source

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL.. Italy have same sex couples there too. Russia is really silly. The same sex are everywhere. Russia is going to change their policy over same sex couples someday anyway.

Why would anyone want Russian children.

What's wrong with that ? Every children in the world are beautiful children and they need love for opposite and same sex couples anyway. The race isn't important. Love is.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't see anything odd here - homosexuality is treated as indecensy and perversion and any and all displays of it are legally forbidden in the public sphere, as such, the Russian government takes measures to "protect" Russian children from what it believes to be indecent and perverted. It's literally doing its job according to its own standards it laid out.

Is it homophobic? Of course it is, so is a massive portion of the Russian society. Go on ahead and blame government propaganda, the influence of orthodox church, the strong insistance on tradition and as part of it also the traditional image of a family, but at the end of the day, the great majority of Russians just don't like homosexuals - that's how they were brought up and they don't question this legislature - if anything, many support it.

According to a recent survey 87% of Russians oppose gay parades, 16% want gays to be isolated from the rest of the society, 22% insists on compulsory treatment and 5% want them exterminated, are we really going to chastise the Russian government for catering to the Russian citizen?

Reactions: Skelletonike

servant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did that guy really just say pedophilia only exists in America?:unsure:
That's quite an extreme and uneducated guess he made.
To even compare us as worse than southern asian and island countries is a slight exaggeration.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would anyone want Russian children.
Two of my cousins (both in college now) were adopted from there funny thing is the translator's daugher came for a visit (with the translator (her mother)) anyways thats not the point my Aunt loves them as her own and made sure they succeeded in the college system it just boils down to homophobic pricks like their moronic lawmakers

Why wouldn't anyone? They're adorable! You can stack them, one inside of another, and then take them back out again. Plus, they're great for holding vodka!
do you hve any sense of humility Gahars? SERIOUSLY

ok sorry wtf i changed the freaking size

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
ok sorry wtf i changed the freaking size
Do you seriously think that a 620x388 signature is acceptable? 388 pixels is taller than your average post, I believe the limit on the old forum was 250 pixels and that was still stretching it - 150 pixels or so should be entirely sufficient.

Reactions: Xexyz and TyBlood13

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
According to a recent survey 87% of Russians oppose gay parades, 16% want gays to be isolated from the rest of the society, 22% insists on compulsory treatment and 5% want them exterminated, are we really going to chastise the Russian government for catering to the Russian citizen?

That sounds an awful lot like the percentage of votes Putin got...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That sounds an awful lot like the percentage of votes Putin got...
I'm not one to judge whether or not the survey was reliable, but knowing Russians as well as the general attitudes towards homosexuals in this region of the world, I would say the results are relatively accurate. Homophobia's rampant where I live as well, but not as extreme as in Russia's case and only present in the lower castes of the society - the uneducated slobs, the elderly, the extreme right-wings or the orthodox devouts.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not one to judge whether or not the survey was reliable, but knowing Russians as well as the general attitudes towards homosexuals in this region of the world, I would say this is relatively accurate. Homophobia's rampant where I live as well, but not as extreme as in Russia's case and only present in the lower castes of the society - the uneducated slobs, the elderly, the extreme right-wings or the devouts.

Rural areas will always be extremely homophobic, if not xenophobic as well.
Just look at the bible belt in the US, most of that is rural.
And yes, knowing Russia, it's extremely accurate.
Considering Putin got over 100% of the votes ;p

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Rural areas will always be extremely homophobic, if not xenophobic as well.
Just look at the bible belt in the US, most of that is rural.
And yes, knowing Russia, it's extremely accurate.
Considering Putin got over 100% of the votes ;p
I wouldn't really put Putin into the mix because Putin is an obvious dictator figure, except nobody wants to talk about it. Anyone with two braincells that meet every now and then will notice that a person who has the law changed during a period of self-invented tandemocracy for the sole purpose of being able to become a candidate in the next elections is a future dictator. He's power-hungry and I don't think that falsifying the elections is beyond him.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head