[Rumour] Konami Reportedly Ceases Development of All AAA IP's Except PES

Konami.png

Konami is a company familiar to all fans of Japanese video games. It has been under the radar of the media as of late, and for all the wrong reasons. A lot has been said and written about the poor working conditions, constant surveillance and the tense, uncomfortable atmosphere in the studios. The cancellation of Silent Hills, the latest sequel in the well-known IP despite P.T.'s great success left horror fans around the globe disappointed. The recent departure of Hideo Kojima was not the only one that hit the news - just yesterday we learned that Fox Engine's overseer Julien Merceron also left the studio. Today we hear about Konami once again, and again it's not good news.

According to Gameblog.fr's anonymous source, Konami has halted all development of AAA console titles with the exception of PES. This move falls in line with the company's plans to focus on mobile development, but it is not going to delay the release of Metal Gear Online planned for October 6th.

At present Konami did not release any statements regarding this rumour, however if it turns out to be true, it could mean that franchises we grew to love like Castlevania, Silent Hill or Metal Gear Solid will simply disappear from our console libraries. As a fan of the IP's above, and one that is currently engaged in a thorough playthrough of Metal Gear V: The Phantom Pain, this news saddens me greatly.

:arrow: Source #1 (French)
:arrow: Source #2 (IGN UK, English)

Reactions: Margen67 and T-hug

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about it I do not actually care for any of the games Konami presently does (there is a decent chance I would forgo a bed to instead have a silent scope dual rifles setup, that said I have not seen much of the bone eater game from last year) and I am not sure much is lost from where I sit without them, however they did acquire Hudson soft and with this move it looks like Bomberman is probably not going to make a return to form. Doubtless we will see some more Bomberman land nonsense but a few people sitting down, figuring out what made it great and doing that is something else entirely.

Nice image by the way.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To be honest, the only main Konami franchise I really cared about in the first place was 2D Castlevania, and those have been dead since the DS. At least they're still making music games.

Reactions: Mylink5

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking about it I do not actually care for any of the games Konami presently does (there is a decent chance I would forgo a bed to instead have a silent scope dual rifles setup, that said I have not seen much of the bone eater game from last year) and I am not sure much is lost from where I sit without them, however they did acquire Hudson soft and with this move it looks like Bomberman is probably not going to make a return to form. Doubtless we will see some more Bomberman land nonsense but a few people sitting down, figuring out what made it great and doing that is something else entirely.

Nice image by the way.
They're already licensing some Hudsonsoft IP's to Nintendo.
source

Last edited by duwen,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They're already licensing some Hudsonsoft IP's to Nintendo.
source

I had missed that development, thanks for informing me. However now I have to bank on them leasing/licensing the IP to someone that will figure it out, which I suppose is better than their mobile division in churn mode figuring it out.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had missed that development, thanks for informing me. However now I have to bank on them leasing/licensing the IP to someone that will figure it out, which I suppose is better than their mobile division in churn mode figuring it out.
I'm crossing my fingers that they'll license Silent Hill to Capcom (Resident Evil/Silent Hill crossover anyone?) and Metal Gear to Platinum (just coz I liked Revengeance)... and I'd be pleased as punch if Nintendo picked up everything else (Castlevania, Parodius/Salamander/Nemesis/etc, Track and Field...) along with the other Hudson IP's (particularly Bomberman).

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
at 1st like was like AAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, you tears taste nice fan boys.

but than i remembered i am a Castlevania fan boy...

sad_bender.jpg

I'm so sad.. i wish everyone else was dead.

At least we have Bloodstained to look forward to. Realistically Iga is going to try and outdo his best game, SotN, and that is super exciting to me.
Konami haven't had their name on a good Castlevania since the DS!

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
At least we have Bloodstained to look forward to. Realistically Iga is going to try and outdo his best game, SotN, and that is super exciting to me.
Konami haven't had their name on a good Castlevania since the DS!

good point... Konami can suck a big one.

only a company like Konami can fuck up something like Castlevania. the thing has some much potential... 3D Castlevania should have been Bloodborne-esque. just make more 2d Castlevania on handhelds... your good too go.

Reactions: T-hug

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Being serious, I think that would be a legitimately good game.
Have you not played Ac!d? Are you mad?
I'm crossing my fingers that they'll license Silent Hill to Capcom (Resident Evil/Silent Hill crossover anyone?) and Metal Gear to Platinum (just coz I liked Revengeance)... and I'd be pleased as punch if Nintendo picked up everything else (Castlevania, Parodius/Salamander/Nemesis/etc, Track and Field...) along with the other Hudson IP's (particularly Bomberman).
Sure, Nintendo is well-known for their dedication to M-rated games, they'd be a perfect pick for Castlevania, just look at Metroi...

latest

Oh. Ohh...

On a serious note, Castlevania would be in good hands with either From Software if we want it Dark Souls-like, grim and slow like it's meant to be or Platinum Games if we want something akin to Lords of Shadow.

Reactions: CathyRina

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Have you not played Ac!d? Are you mad?
Sure, Nintendo is well-known for their dedication to M-rated games, they'd be a perfect pick for Castlevania, just look at Metroi...

latest

Oh. Ohh...

On a serious note, Castlevania would be in good hands with either From Software if we want it Dark Souls-like, grim and slow like it's meant to be or Platinum Games if we want something akin to Lords of Shadow.
What if we like something like Castlevania, rather than another shitty clone of another shitty game?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.