Homebrew [Rumor] Soundhax might be portable to DSi

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
According to bushing (https://hackmii.com/2009/08/of-tmds-and-hardware/), "unofficial uses" of Wii's AHBPROT were only discovered after the DSi launched (was it in March 2009 iirc?)

DSi TMDs also have an "access control" option (http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dsisdmmcdsiwareticketsandtitlemetadata) and the home launcher definitely has SCFG unlocked since it must set it correctly for the title to be launched (exactly like on Wii), so it's realistically possible for a custom title to be created with all hardware enabled!
At least unlocking slot1+SD+NAND all at once is possible - the rom of TwlNMenu needs that

Of course there's the issue of actually getting said custom title on the console, but it looks like - haven't tried personally yet - hardmod has gotten there, see the end of the TWLTool topic...!!

You're right, controlling the SCFG field in the TMD to ensure it's never locked is how custom DSi-mode software like NTR Launcher or nds-bootstarap is able to mess around with the SCFG registers.
Assuming you're able to install and run a custom title from the home launcher, you'd have those same capabilities. The problem is gaining code execution by the time the home launcher loads. Once you load any title (assuming it has the SCFG lock setting enabled), the SCFG register locks and can't be unlocked until the console reboots. Any code execution you obtain afterwards won't be capable of messing with the SCFG registers.
That TWLTool topic looked interesting but I'm not sure if it opens the possibility for custom TMDs (enabling SCFG hax) or just custom Tickets (Piracy for legit content only)

Reactions: Ryccardo

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
We lost what exactly? Can't you grab DSiWare titles including tickets and TMDs from the 3DS eShop?
The actual app/srl might be different but probably isn't (at least one exploit game, not sure if sudoku, never had the exploitable version officially available on 3DS and they did some meddling with version numbers), but the actual tickets are different - this is in fact one of the biggest differences between real and virtualised DSi: the tickets are on ctrnand only, and they're for a different titleid too (00030004-* vs 00048004-*)

Since the roms are the same, yep we can dump the .app from the 3DS eShop version (except for the ones that weren't rereleased on 3DS!!), but not the tickets/tmd

The DSi shop will stay up until the end of the year anyway, "only" new ticket generation will be removed next month

Platinum Lucario

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well... DSi Shop is closing this friday... We lost.
Not quite, I'm pretty sure there is actually a forum that was actually dumping DSiWare ROMs, in the form of .nds files. They're all decrypted of course, but if we're to try and re-replicate the Nintendo DSi Shop in an effort to create something that will function in the same way, then we'd need to ask all those members of that said forum to dump the title keys, TMDs, tickets and the encrypted .app files as well.

Retinal_FAILURE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite, I'm pretty sure there is actually a forum that was actually dumping DSiWare ROMs, in the form of .nds files. They're all decrypted of course, but if we're to try and re-replicate the Nintendo DSi Shop in an effort to create something that will function in the same way, then we'd need to ask all those members of that said forum to dump the title keys, TMDs, tickets and the encrypted .app files as well.
Do you have a link? Was that a forum, you said? Or a thread?

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I think this project might be dead sadly. There wasn't a lot of interest either, which is a shame since there's no way of hacking a DSi unless you did that Sudokuhax hardmod thing before the DSi shop shut down. :(

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think this project might be dead sadly. There wasn't a lot of interest either, which is a shame since there's no way of hacking a DSi unless you did that Sudokuhax hardmod thing before the DSi shop shut down. :(
You can still install Sudoku via hardmod, as long as you have any DSiware copyable to SD for dumping the console id :)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have flip note studio, 3ds system transfer thing, and web browser. Do any of those count?
Big spender like me I see... :D
Flipnote and the browser can be copied to SD, so yep, they can be used with dsi_srl_extractor to dump the console certificate and thus the console ID (one part of the nand encryption key)

Reactions: Thunder Hawk

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big spender like me I see... :D
Flipnote and the browser can be copied to SD, so yep, they can be used with dsi_srl_extractor to dump the console certificate and thus the console ID (one part of the nand encryption key)
Flipnote - free I think
3DS System Transfer thing - free
Web browser - free

The only problem now is doing a hardmod, unless an exploit for one of the system apps comes along.

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
Sorry for bumping, but how's the progress now that both RocketLauncher and HiyaCFW have been announced and there is a potential new exploit coming for Flipnote/DSi Browser?

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
A flipnote exploit has been leaked, and it starts with a "u" and it would have a chance to brick your dsi, at least the dsi browser exploit hasn't been leaked yet.
I already knew the leaked exploit since this morning, and apparently it's an unfinished build. Still can't wait for the DSi Browser exploit though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte