OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Not to sure how to handle the title here, especially as it's not an official news post, pardon me for the awkward phrasing.

Here we are again with the good ol' NX rumor mill again. This time, the moderators of the NX subreddit have found a source who claims to have some inside intel on Nintendo's upcoming console. While these rumors could easily be lies or unsubstantiated rumors, and some of the stuff are things we've heard before in passing, I think it's worth at least a little discussion here since these Reddit mods have found the leaker to be trustworthy on some level. And hey, it's always fun to speculate.

We have done our best to confirm this individual's identity and we feel pretty confident about it. However, someone who is determined enough can fake damn near anything as evidenced by that 3D printed controller hoax from a while back. As always, make sure to take everything we're about to post with a grain of salt.

The source of the leak is someone who works for a large retailer company, and has verified their position at said job. The following are the most important details that he/she claims to be true:

The phrase "Interact With Your Game On the Go" is on a marketing poster, and may be a slogan for the console

There are at least 4 titles ready to launch with the system, one of them is Mario

Demo units will be shipped out to retailers in February

The base price will be $299.99 USD

There is to be a bundle option, contents unknown, but will retail for $399.99 USD

The NX's color scheme will be white and blue

The packaging has "NX" on it, meaning that it might not just be the codename, and could be the final product name

Games will be on cartridges

1080p/60fps is being targeted for game performance

HERE is the post, if you want to check it out. Apparently, more details are incoming. Remember to be liberal with that salt!

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll believe it when I see it. Unless the main console itself is a portable system, cartridges seem unlikely. Blue-laser discs (Blu-Ray or a derivative) are much cheaper to mass produce, and given how much you could shrink a system by removing an optical drive, it seems unrealistic for the packaging of a smaller, tablet-free console to take up more space on the shelf than a Wii U box.

Reactions: Chary

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll believe it when I see it. Unless the main console itself is a portable system, cartridges seem unlikely. Blue-laser discs (Blu-Ray or a derivative) are much cheaper to mass produce, and given how much you could shrink a system by removing an optical drive, it seems unrealistic for the packaging of a smaller, tablet-free console to take up more space on the shelf than a Wii U box.
Cartridges can hold tons more data than a disc since it's just flash memory.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cartridges can hold tons more data than a disc since it's just flash memory.
You can get high-storage flash memory, sure, but it's going to cost more per GB than a 25GB or even 50GB Blu-Ray disc, even in bulk. If the goal is to maximize software sales, you'll eat the extra few bucks of putting a disc drive in your hardware to minimize cost of software production.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think I found the appropriate grain of sand to take with this rumor: http://i.imgur.com/nr5vszk.jpg

This sounds very much like someone sitting down and thinking up a plausible rumor. "Interact With Your Game On the Go" in particular sounds very much like something thought up in half a minute, not like one of Nintendo's slogans.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Firemoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think Nintendo is going the right way. Putting big games on flash memory is, IMO, waaaay better than Blu-Ray disc. Faster and more reliable. Yes, it cost more to make, but I don't think that the price of games will change, and they'll still make a lot of profit. As for the price, I'll wait for the true release, because IMO it's kinda high. 1080p/60fps is the standard nowadays, but I guess some games will still run at 30.

"Interact With Your Game On the Go"

I really wonder what that could mean. Maybe some kind of link with the 3DS family?

And as always, thanks @Chary for the news, you're everywhere girl, keep the good work. I really enjoy them.

Last edited by Firemoon,

FrozenDragon150

Notorious Coffee Drinker
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I only like the sound of cartridges, the color scheme, the possible performance and there being 4 games ready at launch. Nothing else sounds very appealing, especially the price.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
i don't understand why humans like or feel it's fun to speculate
Well this is a Nintendo oriented gaming discussion forum ;O; Everyone and their mother is jumping on NX rumors these days

And as always, thanks @Chary for the news, you're everywhere girl, keep the good work. I really enjoy them.
I'm going to hedge my bets that the supposed slogan is based upon the mobile/console hybrid rumors that say you can plug the NX into your TV, and then also take it with you on the go.
especially the price.
It's only $50 more than the Wii was, or the same as the 3DS launch price. Not bad, if we're getting a 2in1, should that rumor be correct. The 4 games ready for launch is actually the worrying thing, to me, that's not much to go off of. Zelda, Mario, and 2 other random IPs, probably something brand new, and maybe Pilotwings or something cheap to produce. Not very enticing imo.

Reactions: Firemoon
D

Deleted User

Sounds portable from "game on the go" but the 1080/60fps sounds like a home console.
Cartridges again sounds like a portable unless they've reverted back to them which seems unlikely.
4 launch titles so we know Zelda is one of them and according to this "source" another is mario.
The "source" is a guy working for a major retailer which isn't the most reliable. IMHO its not real.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds portable from "game on the go" but the 1080/60fps sounds like a home console.
Cartridges again sounds like a portable unless they've reverted back to them which seems unlikely.
4 launch titles so we know Zelda is one of them and according to this "source" another is mario.
The "source" is a guy working for a major retailer which isn't the most reliable. IMHO its not real.
Hi Ryan! Lol

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
inb4The$400BundleIsRequiredForPortability

;O;

But yeah. nearly all of these statements are just generalizations of other rumors/common sense, really.
"4 titles! One of them is Mario!" - Well fucking duh, name a Nintendo console without a launch Mario.
"Base price is $299!" - Which is essentially the "agreed" price most analysts think the NX would be
"Interact With Your Game On the Go!" - Wow, great 2 second slogan based on all those rumors.
"$399.99 Bundle!" - Every console has launch bundles, might as well toss in one of those in this rumor mill.
"1080p/60FPS" - If they didn't "target" this, it'd be a giant mistake on Nintendo's end. And while they're certainly not the brightest company in the world, I can't believe they'd be that stupid when their competitors are making attempts at 4K.

Reactions: Veho

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
The phrase "Interact With Your Game On the Go" is on a marketing poster, and may be a slogan for the console

Damn. Now i want the NX to bomb so bad. I know is rumor, but considering how bad the WiiU marketing was, this may be a thing.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, the name "NX" has grown on me. But I still think it's a rather "eh" name for a console. As for the other rumors, they're nothing revolutionary. Interesting nonetheless, though.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I really wonder what that could mean.
"Play your game on the go" would mean you can take the console, or the portable part of the console, with you and continue playing the game elsewhere. "Interact with your game on the go" means the portable part has extremely limited autonomy/input/display/hardware and is just a glorified Pokewalker only used to grind on a few minigames (at best) that will then give you bonuses in the full game once you get back home and connect to the actual console.

I'm skeptical of the whole rumor though, and I won't give the slogan any weight until we see some official announcements.

Reactions: Firemoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1