[Rumor] Pokemon on Switch To Be 'Disruptive,' Innovative like BotW and Odyssey

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by HaloEliteLegend, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    No but really, Gamefreak, don't do this. Open world "any dungeon first" RUINED zelda. THere's no progression of difficulty and the open world thing just sucked. The older games were WAY better than the mediocre BotW.

ALttP, LA, Oracle Games, Majora's Mask... those were all SO better than BotW. PLEASE don't do this...

2. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    You mean like Pokken Tournament?

3. Thirty3Three

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    I laughed very hard at this.

4. HaloEliteLegend
    OP

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Unfortunately, it seems the vast majority of people disagree with you. That's kinda the point of this Game Freak leak -- people are overwhelmingly loving the new changes in Zelda and Mario, and Pokemon might follow suit.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  5. Thirty3Three

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Well the vast majority of people are morons. They're really fucking up the game's series. There's absolutely no difficulty progression anymore.

6. HaloEliteLegend
    OP

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    That's a little close-minded of you, don't you think? If you don't like it, that's fine, but calling everyone else morons is quite tactless.

In the world of Game Design, there are a multitude of "hooks" used to keep players interested. Difficulty progression is only one of such hooks, and Breath of the Wild decided to go with an approach that caters to what the player would like to do. Instead of scaling challenges in a linear fashion, it lets you decide what you want to accomplish when based simply on what piques your interest, and then lays down points of interest on the horizon to fuel the player's drive for exploration. In my opinion, this is exactly what an open-world adventure game should be. Breath of the Wild is what Nintendo wanted to create in the first place with Zelda, you need only look at Zelda 1 and its similarity to the BotW 2D prototype to see that's true.

BotW is just not your cup of tea. I get why you'd be frustrated if you wanted another Zelda with the same ol' formula, but it's like calling music genres you don't like "shit." It's not that those music genres are actually bad, it's just that you don't personally like 'em.

I'll refer you to this article for the reasons people loved BotW (and Odyssey as a bonus): https://www.avclub.com/open-world-games-are-broken-and-nintendo-spent-2017-tr-1820333889
    It conveys the point I would've anyways tried making to you about the appeal of BotW.

7. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    pls be a game like poke park (battle style)

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Is Odyssey innovative? With a close range attack the character gains the powers of his enemies which can in turn be used to solve puzzles or promote a given play style... radical. I will give that botw was a departure from baseline modern Zelda, right into genero open world territory.

Surely that is an improvement over releasing the same game the next year for full retail.

Anyway I can see a path for it to become a crazy game. They wind in some real world things a la pokemon go, maybe some AR (though I guess that would need a camera), make if not an MMO then a quasi MMO, keep the turn based if they want but maybe add some more moves (4 has its benefits for balance but more could also work). They could still even keep many of the my first RPG elements they have lent on for long.

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If this means we are getting an open world Pokemon game then I am all for that.

10. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    Good hopefully it wont be shit like US/UM.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also Mario Odyssey wasn't innovative at all. While I'm sure its a fun game nothing I have seen from it hasn't been done before.

11. Gizametalman

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    Yesterday I downloaded Pokemon Ultra Sun and I got dissapointed.
    I know I know I KNOW it is supposed to be a side story of the main game events.
    But one just can't simple switch some Models and Textures here and there and release it as a "New Game!" :hateit:

If I had pay for the game, I'd be pissed.

Let's hope this new Pokemon Game improves everything they've done so far.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  12. 330

330 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2017
    Antarctica
    The last game like that was Platinum, almost a decade ago. The latter games were all new stories.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    So the generic evil gang with evil boss changes skin but the mechanics remain essentially the same and I am supposed to call it different?

14. PossiblyOne

PossiblyOne Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2017
    United States
    Hell
    Meh, I’d rather have it be anything but an open-world game. I like games to have a direct route towards the goal.

Even though the turn-based Pokemon games are nice, it’s still a little slow going for me, so adding other elements like fps and platformer would make the gameplay more addictive.

Last edited by PossiblyOne, Nov 22, 2017
  15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    That sounds more like you have mainly played bad open world games. There are plenty in which you have a clear direction to go, or the option to turn such a thing on.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  16. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Imagine the Trainer in the game, climbing walls or jumping gabs to get to specific Pokemon.

Maybe they can have random trainers (ghost data) from other games show up in someone else games.

Tomato Hentai and PossiblyOne like this.
  17. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    SandM changed the formula up and it sucked big time. I have not even started the second island because of it. Now if the Islands and island challenges came after or better yet along side the traditional towns and gyms, then I would of been happy. To replace them though?, that was a very bad and poor decision on game freaks part.

18. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

Oct 21, 2015
    Skyloft
    If this becomes open world, then this really will be a proper experience of being a trainer! I mean, Pokemon GO did a good job with that. But this would be more safe. Don't have to worry about being run over by a bus.

19. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    They didn't get rid of the Pokemon League in Sun and Moon. Its at the end of the game and you become Alola's first League champion. They did switch up the Gym system and it worked out decent.

Acting should be an option, and give players the option whether to turn it on or off. Story doesn't necessarily have to be extremely serious, what I said is a good story. So it could be either serious, non serious, funny, a mixture of everything or whatever. Just as long as its good. They already have a story in these games so why not put more effort into it and make it a strong point. I did like they tried something different with Sun and Moon story wise and Gym system. I want more of that but more bigger changes.

Trying to figure out what to do with encounters and battling does seem the toughest one. How can you make something different but also works really well. Xenoblade Chronicles has an open world with strong enemies mixed with weak ones in the beginning of the game, that you'll have to return later on to fight.
    But Pokemon is also marketed towards kids so making the game really tough is probably what game freak would avoid. But at the same time it does insult Children's intelligence, kids are very smart and can figure things out on their own. If kids are able to play FF7 back in the day, which is a more in depth and tougher game then Pokemon, then they can definitely handle a harder game.

But then comes the issue with accessibility. One of Pokemon's main points is how accessible it is. If you make the game too tough, and too in depth, then it might off put some people that want a simpler game. So making the game accessible is not necessarily saying making the game easy for people that can't handle it, its basically saying making the game not too complicated for people that don't want to much thinking and just want to relax and play. Me for example I play in depth RPG's, but sometimes I don't want to play something complex and want something simpler, so I'll play quick play games or an RPG that's not to complex.

If they do still have gyms, then an open game where you can battle gyms in any order you want would be cool. Travel to any area you want first. I think this is probably what they would most likely do to keep in theme with Zelda's openness.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That was me, lol. It seems like a lot of people are on board with change. And a lot are tired of the same old formula.

Last edited by SG854, Nov 22, 2017
  20. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai nut neutrality

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Alberta
    I think what they meant by "innovative" was not that it was innovative in general but that it was innovative for the Mario series.
    Maybe I'm just spitting our gibberish here, I just woke up.

CallmeBerto likes this.