[Rumor] Pokemon on Switch To Be 'Disruptive,' Innovative like BotW and Odyssey

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by HaloEliteLegend, Nov 21, 2017.

1. HaloEliteLegend
    OP

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG]

As alluded to in Nintendo's E3 2017 Showcase, a main-series Pokémon is coming to Nintendo Switch. Following a previous interview with Pokémon designer Junichi Masuda in which he warned fans to "not get their expectations up too high" about an upcoming Switch Pokémon game, it seems Game Freak might be taking a radical new direction with Pokémon's next big generational leap.

According to the Easy Allies gaming podcast, reputable sources have indicated that Game Freak, after observing the overwhelming reaction to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, feels comfortable in greatly innovating on their next title, aiming to create a game as "disruptive" as Nintendo's two 2017 hits. As this is a rumor, treat it like you would a treasure chest in Dark Souls and understand that none of this is officially confirmed. We also do not know who or what the source Easy Allies cited is. However, such a proposition is not entirely out of the picture, given the incredible success that Breath of the Wild and Odyssey had. Game Freak has stayed mostly complacent with Pokemon's formula throughout the series' 20+ year run, only slightly deviating with last year's Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. Given that Pokemon games were always relatively successful on Nintendo's handheld systems, there has been no real need to change, yet it wouldn't be all too farfetch'd (see what I did there?) to believe that Game Freak would radically change the formula with Pokémon on Switch.

The exact quote from Easy Allies is as follows:
    "Gamefreak was very nervous about doing any kind of radical departure for Pokémon, they sell so well why would you mess with that? Apparently, Breath of the Wild's reception and the reaction to Mario at E3 was so overwhelmingly positive that it convinced them that they need to make the next Pokémon game as disruptive as those two games were. That it's going to be as big of an innovation as those two games were."

What do you think? Do you believe Game Freak is planning something groundbreaking with their upcoming Pokémon game? What would you like to see in a console Pokémon entry? Leave your answers down below!

:arrow: Source 1
    :arrow: Source 2
    :arrow: Source 3

Last edited by HaloEliteLegend, Nov 21, 2017
  2. Lukerz

Lukerz Sloth. That's it.

Apr 24, 2017
    United States
    Maryland
    I'm game for whatever there thinking up! There on a roll with more open world games so i'm excited to see more details as they come.

HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  3. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Can't wait for Super Far Cause Odyssey: Breath of the Phantom Pain Red, Blue, and Yellow editions!

4. 330

330 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2017
    Antarctica
    The only innovative thing will be DLCs.

DaMan, Kevinpuerta and bennyman123abc like this.
  5. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Oh man, here's hoping! Please be good, as well!

HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  6. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    WeedZ likes this.
  7. Thunder Hawk

Thunder Hawk Firefox Master Race

Jan 21, 2013
    United States
    inb4 no following pokemon reeee

8. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    The Masuda quote is old, speculating is kind of unappealing because I really think this is a distant future thing. It would follow GF's release schedule too, after the second pair of generational games, there is typically a year off, no new main series release. So this big game won't come out until 2019, I think Nintendo gave that "2018 or later" estimate just to tease people into thinking it will come out sooner. That being said, I don't know, whatever they're capable of. I personally would want a larger scale version of the GC games, Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. Little to no loading time between routes and cities, a whole new full scale region rather than mini ones in those GC games. At least 30 hours of gameplay since that's a typical main series play time. A very busy battle facility, not just one like Battle Maison and Tree, basically a return of Battle Frontier. Or that but renamed. I think the graphics on BOTW are good enough for Pokemon, with Masuda's musical passion, I expect a really immersive soundtrack, even sound effects like leaves blowing in the wind. Bring back the seasons from Gen 5, bring back secret bases, those are so appealing for a home console anyways. I should chill on a wishlist for this, don't want to give my hopes up. I just expect top notch work put in. As long as Nintendo doesn't rush them, it should be fine.

Last edited by RustInPeace, Nov 21, 2017
    Riyaz, zeldaism, wicksand420 and 2 others like this.
  9. Zhongtiao1

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    PokePark 3 confirmed?

10. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    I wouldn't mind at all if they remade R/B/Y, but combined it into one game. They could redo each generation as a new entry. Pokemon Kanto for 2019, Pokemon Johto for 202X, etc. We all saw how successful Pokemon GO was for the first generation. Everyone knows the first 151. After that, it drops off quickly.

Riyaz, KingVamp and RustInPeace like this.
  11. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    I've been talking about this on this site a couple of times. Nintendo should really do something different with the Pokemon series.

The Switch is really shaping to be an excellent console, far better than the Wii U. If they actually pull something different and get high praises, then the Switch is a must get for those that don't have one yet. The Pokemon Series is a system seller along with Mario, and Mario is already highly praised. So Nintendo is on the right track.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  12. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    never played a single game in the series but if they make it an actual game instead of turn based rpg i amy give it a try

13. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    "Real game" is subjective. I consider TB RPGs more of a game than all of the generic shooters.

DaMan, VMM and Tomato Hentai like this.
  14. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    They tried that before both with the GameCube games and Sun and Moon. And surprise surprise those are some of the worst games in the series.

15. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    i don't like shooters either but the TB genre i don't even consider to be games they are more like computer animated chose your own adventure books
    i would rather watch paint dry on the wall but to each his own
    but pokemon is based on a card game which kind of falls in line with the boringness of TB

k3rizz3k likes this.
  16. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    True. I've come to prefer the ATB type systems of FF 15 etc. I'm not a fan of Real time fighting all of the time.. I like a little time to make strategy on the fly

17. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    United States
    They're ok not the worst in the series. They were better Pokemon Revolution.

I also did mention this.
    If they actually pull something different and get high praises

Meaning not just something different, but something thats also well made. Meaning something better then Colosseum and XD and different at the same time.

18. k3rizz3k

k3rizz3k GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2008
    United States
    I personally LOVED the GC games. But as said before, that's me.

The Real Jdbye and KingVamp like this.
  19. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai nut neutrality

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Alberta
    I'm seriously hoping it's something that spans multiple regions.

If it does span 2+ regions, there's only one thing I can really think of that'd work with the game. The current Pokemon format would have to be altered (but not flat-out changed so you couldn't transfer in old Pokemon from old games), maybe so Pokemon can level beyond level 100, since 100 will be pretty easy to achieve in a game that has multiple regions that are actually fleshed out and not just some sort of post-game thing. On top of that it might be a good idea to have the levels of trainer's Pokemon in regions other than the default possibly scale with your Pokemon's levels in some way. That's the only thing I can think of that works.

20. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    Inb4 pokemon switch ends up being pokemon stars

k3rizz3k likes this.