Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gallery_177066_262_496.jpg

According to The Verge, Microsoft is planning on launch a new, $99 Xbox 360 4GB model and Kinect bundle. However, this low price comes with one condition: a two year, $15/month subscription plan to go with it.

This plan will last, as mentioned, two years, and will give users access to Xbox Live Gold as well as "some additional streaming content from cable providers or sports package providers", suggesting possible support from Microsoft's current deals with Comcast Xfinity, Verizon Fios, and sports affiliates like the MLB.

The subscription also has a cancellation fee if you wish to cancel it. The cost of this fee or how the cancellation would affect the service is still unknown however.

Microsoft, in response to the rumor, said there has been no announcement and that they do not comment on rumor and speculation.

The final cost of this Xbox, after two years, would be around $459. Currently, the same Xbox 360 and Kinect bundle, as well as two years of Xbox Live, equals out to around $420.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That... actually sounds cool.

It's not a big price to pay, the HDD can be replaced easily and hey - you get a pretty "complete" bundle for a 360 experience. I like this idea.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not a big price to pay, the HDD can be replaced easily and hey - you get a pretty "complete" bundle for a 360 experience. I like this idea.

I mean the idea is interesting as it offers like a "pay as you go" sorta thing to a console, letting you get it at a budget price, but I don't know what this would mean.

What if you can't pay for the console anymore? Does it simply not work? Does it require a constant internet connection to make sure you paid for the subscription? What if you can't pay a cancellation fee either and if you do pay a cancellation fee, how would it be any different from just not paying for the service? It seems rather mysterious as to how such a subscription plan would work.

I get that they're trying to appeal to families who can't pay a large lump sum at once but could do a $15/month thing but it seems difficult as to how this would be obtainable.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice idea.... but sadly, I guess it's only for USA

The cost of this fee or how the cancellation would affect the service is still unknown however

the 360 will self destruct destroying your home

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

I mean the idea is interesting as it offers like a "pay as you go" sorta thing to a console, letting you get it at a budget price, but I don't know what this would mean.

What if you can't pay for the console anymore? Does it simply not work? Does it require a constant internet connection to make sure you paid for the subscription? What if you can't pay a cancellation fee either and if you do pay a cancellation fee, how would it be any different from just not paying for the service? It seems rather mysterious as to how such a subscription plan would work.

I get that they're trying to appeal to families who can't pay a large lump sum at once but could do a $15/month thing but it seems difficult as to how this would be obtainable.
I'm pretty sure it works just like buying things on credit with the simple distance of using the XBL account as means of payment. If you can no longer afford the payments, you will probably have to return the console and your XBL account will be suspended temporarily. I suppose a block/unblock games flag in the firmware could work aswell but it just sounds like unnecessary effort.

We've seen deals for phones that are pay-as-you-go for ages now - those don't magically "Terminate", you just return them.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes no real sense to me. Seems like a cool idea, but why would you pay 15 bucks a month for a service that is available at 10 bucks a month with the same console? On top of that, you're stuck in it for 2 years unless you pay the ETF.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention, with the placement of the cancellation fee, they're more than likely expecting some people to cancel.. I think someone at Microsoft needs to lay off the LSD, they believe XBox 360s are cell phones..

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What's wrong in paying $5 more for the XBL subscription and getting a free XBox360 with Kinect for it?

Sony's already doing it with the Vita, Apple does it with their iPads, why not Microsoft with the 360? It's freaking convinient.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if they priced it lower I buy it. It would be nice getting a new 360 every two years and selling the old one but currently it seems a bit high.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well if they priced it lower I buy it. It would be nice getting a new 360 every two years and selling the old one but currently it seems a bit high.
The very idea behind pricing it higher is to make up for the fact that you didn't pay up for it Day One. You get access to all the features while virtually paying nothing the moment you recieve it, so Microsoft adds a manipulation fee plus interest simply because other than the console, you were sold the possibility to play it without paying full price for it when you got it, which is the real product here.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would someone who already has an Xbox Live Gold account need to pay the subscription fee? If not, I'll buy the Xbox, hack my old one and keep it offline, use this cheap-o one for online games like Halo, BF and Forza.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?