ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
PS3-RIP.jpg

Whenever a new console is released it signals a death sentence for its predecessor. With the PS4 approaching its 2nd birthday and showing no signs of sales slowing down it was inevitable that the PS3 would eventually be put to rest. What we didn’t know was when that would occur, today that all changed via a Facebook post from New Zealand’s leading online video game retailer, Mighty Ape games.

:arrow: Source

EDIT

PlayStation New Zealand have confirmed that they are no longer shipping the PS3 to retailers

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now we have fixed goal posts I wonder if we will see every PS3 model become hackable, even if it means some effort. An unhackable no longer made console would be a sad thing to see.

Reactions: migles and Margen67

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... all we have to go on is the word of this guy?

d2f68944e7c264a8a2a3be99f331b80f

I'm sorry, I'll believe it when I see it. For now, I'm still perfectly happy with my PS3. I just bought a brand new game for it a week ago (Metal Gear Solid V), there's another one coming up rather soon (Persona 5), and the PS4 is so bloody weak that it's not even funny. Might end up skipping this generation entirely. It seems like they were so eager to ditch "the old" and move on to "the new" that they pushed out an entire generation that feels barely a half step above what the previous consoles were capable of.
When character models stop looking like manufactured plastic, maybe I'll be impressed. But not today.

Last edited by Muffins,

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
NOOOOOOOOOO!
This will force me to buy a PS4!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ow it's a rumor ;)

Almost got a heartattack!
Anyway i know at some point i have to update the damned PS3, but i hate it, to many bought stuff on it :/ so i never looked into it, but i doubt all my psn ps3 purchases will also work on a PS4?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Original Playstation went for about 12 years, and the PS2 stayed in the game for 13 years. PS3 is just goin on 9, I think it has 2 or 3 years left
Leaving aside differences between made, shipped and warranted I would imagine sales numbers, sales projections, stock numbers, ease of manufacture (silicon fabs cost billions to make and in some regards have a shorter lifetime than Las Vegas hotels, this means their third party suppliers and first party fabs may become less than viable) and even general operating costs (Sony is not as bad as it was a couple of years back but still pretty cash strapped when all is said and done) factor into this more than beating an arbitrary historical number.

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to break it to you, but Persona 5's coming out next summer. 8+ months is not "rather soon."

Yes it is.

By that time I should just be finished with Triforce Heroes, Metal Gear Solid V, Legend of Legacy, Resident Evil Revelations 2, Trails of Cold Steel and possibly be halfway done with Trails in the Sky Second Chapter.

So I should be just ready for Persona 5 by that time. And by "that time", I mean soon. When it comes out. Which is soon.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is.

By that time I should just be finished with Triforce Heroes, Metal Gear Solid V, Legend of Legacy, Resident Evil Revelations 2, Trails of Cold Steel and possibly be halfway done with Trails in the Sky Second Chapter.

So I should be just ready for Persona 5 by that time. And by "that time", I mean soon. When it comes out. Which is soon.
You should change your location tag to Egypt because you are clearly in da'Nile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1