Gaming RPG with decent storylines?

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't read through all 4 pages (the end of the first page suggested to me there was going to be a LOT of SMT and Persona talk so I've just skipped here) but you NEED to play Mana Khemia if you're looking for a good story. The PSP version's pretty good but I'd recommend the PS2 version if you have a PS2. Mana Khemia 2's story is significantly weaker though, so I wouldn't recommend it story-wise.

Also, two notes if you do decide to pick up Mana Khemia. First, if you're playing the PSP version, install the Jump Start data as that will enable voices to be played during battles. Second, the final segment of the bonus dungeon freezes if you get into any random encounters, so you're going to have to avoid them at all costs. Good luck working through your rather epic list; I think you may need it if you plan on finishing everything.

Wow A new title that I've never heard of! Mana Khemia 1 & 2? Okay I shall look into it right away! So there's no fix for those freezes? Wait when you say bonus dungeons, does that mean that's after the main game is finish and that's the extra part?
The bonus dungeon is a 100 (or maybe not, forget the exact number) floor dungeon you unlock after beating the final boss. During the last ten floors is when you have to avoid fighting any random encounters (the bosses are fine to fight though, no glitches). To my knowledge, there's no fix for the freezing sadly, so you just have to be careful and get really good at dodging enemies. It's kind of a fun challenge though, except for when you mess up. :P

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I haven't read through all 4 pages (the end of the first page suggested to me there was going to be a LOT of SMT and Persona talk so I've just skipped here) but you NEED to play Mana Khemia if you're looking for a good story. The PSP version's pretty good but I'd recommend the PS2 version if you have a PS2. Mana Khemia 2's story is significantly weaker though, so I wouldn't recommend it story-wise.

Also, two notes if you do decide to pick up Mana Khemia. First, if you're playing the PSP version, install the Jump Start data as that will enable voices to be played during battles. Second, the final segment of the bonus dungeon freezes if you get into any random encounters, so you're going to have to avoid them at all costs. Good luck working through your rather epic list; I think you may need it if you plan on finishing everything.

Wow A new title that I've never heard of! Mana Khemia 1 & 2? Okay I shall look into it right away! So there's no fix for those freezes? Wait when you say bonus dungeons, does that mean that's after the main game is finish and that's the extra part?
The bonus dungeon is a 100 (or maybe not, forget the exact number) floor dungeon you unlock after beating the final boss. During the last ten floors is when you have to avoid fighting any random encounters (the bosses are fine to fight though, no glitches). To my knowledge, there's no fix for the freezing sadly, so you just have to be careful and get really good at dodging enemies. It's kind of a fun challenge though, except for when you mess up. :P

So the random encounters are visible monsters I can dodge? Because what came to mind is the invisible ones lol and I'm thinking how do I avoid that? :wtf:

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So the random encounters are visible monsters I can dodge? Because what came to mind is the invisible ones lol and I'm thinking how do I avoid that? :wtf:
That would be insane O_O. Yeah, they show up on the map so you can platform your way around them.

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

That would be insane O_O. Yeah, they show up on the map so you can platform your way around them.

Awesome. Mana Khemia 2 didnt release on PSP?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mana Khemia 2 on PSP is released only on Japan.

Mana Khemia is part of the "Atelier" series originally released on PS2.
If you like Mana Khemia, chance are that you'll like the previous Atelier series "Iris" too. Though, you'll need a PS2.

I played only the first Iris installment, and I like it a lot. It's using old school 2D graphics, which I found cute.
They are all given a number (usually even displayed in the opening sequence), though it's not important, I guess they are just numering their "Atelier" main games.

Project A06: Atelier Iris 1 - Eternal Mana
Project A07: Atelier Iris 2 – The Azoth of Destiny
Project A08: Atelier Iris 3 – Grand Phantasm
Project A09: Mana Khemia 1 - Alchemists of Al-Revis (Mana Khemia: Student Alliance on PSP. Added online battle mode)
Project A10: Mana Khemia 2 - Fall of Alchemy
These are all classic RPG.

Project A11 (on PS3) is more text RPG with mission to accomplish in limited time than RPG :(

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Aww unfortunately I don't own a PS2. Yeah I only found the Japanese version.

On a similar note, I'm not sure why when I ask people for PSP reccommendations, I get PS2 as well? Are there some PS2 games you can play on the PSP or something? Or that's only ports from the PS2 version?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mana Khemia is only a port.
I mentioned the other ones from the same series in case you were interested and had a PS2 too. (but only because it's part of the series. Mana Khemia 2 USA is only on PS2)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Of the three games in the Atelier Series on the PS2 they're the very definition of average (although i didn't make it to the third). The first was really enjoyable, but in a totally old school way, being completely generic and similar to every other average JRPG out there...however, i quite liked the characters and nothing was broken so it was a nice change from overly complex RPG's. However, the second took a major hit in quality and i never made it through it....no idea if the third was much better.

But i'd always say that if you've not got a PS2 (or had one) you should most definitely get one as it's packed full of great games, and not just RPG's.

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Mana Khemia is only a port.
I mentioned the other ones from the same series in case you were interested and had a PS2 too. (but only because it's part of the series. Mana Khemia 2 USA is only on PS2)

Oh ok. I hope you didn't take my previous post to heart. I appreciate it since it was related to the Khemia series. I was only referring some other odd posts I got in the past lol
And it gets me wondering where PSP capabilities lie within, is it just under a PS2 or somewhat in between the PS1 and PS2 power?

SILENT_HUNTRESS

CIERA BAKUFU
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some i recommend are Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity and Persona 3 Portable.
now PsP2i(Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity) is in japanese only,but it does have a good story line and if you played Phantasy Star Portable 2 english version then you already know most of what they say in episode 1,but in episode 2 it is much diff. since there are new creatures and a new type of story.i play them 2 RPG's the most on my psp and i pretty much know most of the ropes of the story,but i would say pick one you think is more fitting to your liking and you can always check the reviews of a game.

Icealote

My Winter...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Okay okay guys. I get it. Persona 3 next after Growlanser.

Right now I heard there's multiple endings for Growlanser so I'll finish one ending then jump to P3P then back to Growlanser if I feel like it :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2