RPG with decent storylines?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Icealote, Jul 24, 2012.

Jul 24, 2012

emigre Putting out the fire with gasoline

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Persona 2 is a duology. IS starts off the chain of events which is continued in EP. Play the PSP version of Innocent Sin and whilst you can play the PSX version of EP, I suggest waiting for the PSP version to be localised. This is because one big bonus of the PSP version is the improved menu interface, which makes life so much better.

Icealote My Winter...

Message Count:
    Australia
    Cheers for the confirmation on that. I spent hours looking for it >.<

These are the extra games I got recently:

Disgaea Infinite
    Hakouki - Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
    Mimaya Iyar Chronicle
    Obscure The Aftermath (I think I got 1 & 2?)
    From the earlier comments I was able to locate EP and Sin as eboots :) Thanks guys!
    Valhalla Knights 1 & 2

Oh and I dont mind some games like Pheonix Wright if the PSP library has any?

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Eternal Punishment takes place in a "parallel universe" where the events of IS haven't happened, the characters don't know each other, and also both games have different lead characters...i'd say that pretty much eliminates a "must play" element to enjoy EP. Yes there are nods to IS but EP is a complete experience on it's own.

Icealote My Winter...

Message Count:
    Australia
    Crap. I just got it lol When is the localisation?

Now you guys got my attention. I will have to start the Persona series after I finish Star Ocean 2

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    IS has a PSP release in English, EP got released in Japanese in May. If you're that desperate just play IS and if you enjoy it then play the PSX version of EP. (they're virtually the same game wrt mechanics...if you enjoy one you'll enjoy the other and vice versa)

emigre Putting out the fire with gasoline

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I'll agree that EP can be enjoyed without playing IS, I personally believe playing both games will provide a better experience.

EDIT: I did s silly.

gettogaara New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I haven't played Persona 2 yet but I don't reccomend Persona 1 unless you like really old school style games. Not to say it's a bad game, it just wasn't for me. Persona 3 on the other hand is excellent in almost all aspects to me. I just wish Tartarus (The dungeon you will be going to at midnight) was a little more varried in design.

I reccomend Kingdom Hearts BBS too. The game is really great and with three diffrent stories to play it'll keep you busy for a while. Also you can play with up to four friends.
    • Newcomer

Kisei New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I recommend Lunar Harmony, it's truly indeed a RPG type and has a good story overall.

Icealote My Winter...

Message Count:
    Australia
    Okay I've noted the games people mentioned and see from there. Cheers guys! Shame I'll miss out of the Answer and Persona 4 section for now. I look forward to trying P4 on the Vita when I decide to burn more money :)

Any more recommendations? Also I don't mind horror games and such. I've read comments that Silent Hill Origins (does that count or is it considered a horror adventure?) make a good game to go through. I think some of the new games I've list are visual novels? I dont mind them as long if its easily accessible.

Coconut New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time

ShadowFyre New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    The story line is going to be nonexistent for this one, but does anyone know if Monster Hunter 3rd is ever going to come out on the PSP in Americaaaa?
    • Global Moderator

GeekyGuy Professional loafer

Message Count:
    United States
    Video-game stories don't get better than Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL. It's all you'll need for...months probably.

Icealote My Winter...

Message Count:
    Australia
    Is that the same as the FF Tactics on the DS and GBA?

DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Message Count:
    Norway
    It plays out the same. However the one on PSP is remake of the one on PSX. While the one on DS is a sequel to the GBA,

Icealote My Winter...

Message Count:
    Australia
    That's confusing. Hmm... I'll consider it since I'm not a big fan of those with exception of Jeane D Arc since it gets a lot more praise. See how I'll go with the D arc game first lol

Gundam Eclipse True Demon Route

Message Count:
    India
    FF Tactics WotL is NOTHING like the DS or GBA games storywise. Its leaps and bounds better compared to those, the story is excellent!
    So yeah, if you get the chance, go for War of the Lions, its excellent :V
    • Global Moderator

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Message Count:
    France
    I didn't like the one on GBA, too much rules and mini games. As a sequel to GBA, the DS game didn't interest me.

The War of the Lion has a better story flow, you are more free to evolve like you want.
    A lot of sub-missions to train your members are references to old (up to 7) FFs places/items/bosses/etc.

Icealote My Winter...

Message Count:
    Australia
    Yeah I was afraid it was like the GBA or the DS one which put me off. I cant remember which one had a lot of bans?

If you guys recommend it then its duly noted!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    You'd never know that War of the Lions on the PSP had anything much to do with them, especially not the atrocious GBA game. The PSP "remake" of the Playstation's Final Fantasy Tactics adds a new translation to the story (amongst other things) which makes it both extremely engaging to play gameplay wise and interesting plot-wise. FFT compared to Jeanne D'Arc is like comparing solvingGoldbach's Conjecture to solving 9+3. Jeanne D'Arc is a nice introduction for SRPG's for those who dislike them or aren't great at them, FFT ramps it up hugely.

Icealote My Winter...

Message Count:
    Australia
    It was because of the GBA one I was like nope skip FFT: WOTL but since everyone's got high praise of it then I shall give it a shot on getting it on Friday. I'd like to try that Growlanser first though since it came out recently.

SPONSORED LINKS