Hacking ROM files vs cartridge: what's the real difference?

95girlg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What is different in a ROM file?it doesn't play without exploits.So I assume that the dump of a game isn't the perfect copy of a cartridge's file,right?Why doesn't a ROM play without exploits/mods?

NCDyson

Hello Boys...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is different in a ROM file?it doesn't play without exploits.So I assume that the dump of a game isn't the perfect copy of a cartridge's file,right?Why doesn't a ROM play without exploits/mods?

the rom may be a perfect copy of the cartridge data, but you have to have something to put the rom file on so that the system can play it. Due to the complexity of the system and it's security, as opposed to previous generations of nintendo handhelds, the exploits are needed to get the flash card to work properly. an exploit/mod would be needed to get the system to load a rom from the 3ds's SD card as well.

Edit:
Basically, the cartridge is a physical thing which contains data, the rom is just the data itself.

NCDyson

Hello Boys...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the way the gateway card works. I'm sure there's nothing stopping anyone from creating a 1:1 cartridge clone, but it'd be kinda pointless unless you wanted to hook it up to your computer to swap out roms because there'd be no chance of multi-rom, and no chance for homebrew either.

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the way the gateway card works. I'm sure there's nothing stopping anyone from creating a 1:1 cartridge clone, but it'd be kinda pointless unless you wanted to hook it up to your computer to swap out roms because there'd be no chance of multi-rom, and no chance for homebrew either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that basically what Gateway did before they had multi-rom support? You had to actually write a single rom directly to a microSD card and Gateway would emulate a cartridge of that game.

95girlg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so,why can't we just load a 3ds file from the 3ds's SD,without any mod?i thouught dumping broke the signature (psp games have a signature,if it is wrong they won't run)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
so,why can't we just load a 3ds file from the 3ds's SD,without any mod?i thouught dumping broke the signature (psp games have a signature,if it is wrong they won't run)
The signature is still intact, or early Gateway versions wouldn't run them as the signature checks were still in place. But cartridge communication is encrypted along with other things that make it hard to create a flashcart that works exactly like a real cartridge.

D

Deleted User

The topic is the difference between a rom and the game data inside a cartridge. If it is not copied 1 to 1 from a cartridge does that mean the game on rom is not the same game as on a cartridge ?

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
The topic is the difference between a rom and the game data inside a cartridge. If it is not copied 1 to 1 from a cartridge does that mean the game on rom is not the same game as on a cartridge ?

first please dont necrobump old thread.

second welcome to gbatemp.

third to answer your question well yeah. i think 3DS checks in place that if its not a right copy it wouldnt play and be a corrupted file which the 3ds would be able to understand.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol