ROM Hack ROM dumping without Gateway?

timacbosoa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm freshly new into the whole limbo of ROM hacking and flashcards and such. As my 3DS XL is on 9.4, I cannot use a Gateway cart, nor do I care about (most) homebrew. As such, I have opted to purchase the Sky3DS (I know it gets a lot of flame for its lack of homebrew capabilities).

To my understanding, each ROM produced (whether uploaded on the internet or officially put into a retail copy) has its own "header" and that whenever two or more people are online with that header, the two identical headers are red flagged by nintendo and both will be unable to play online (and possibly ban). As such, the best way to assure successful online gameplay is to extract the "header" code from one of your own games and inject it into the publicly downloaded ROM.

I was wondering if there was any way to dump your own copy of a ROM without the use of a Gateway flashcard? I've looked into R4i Save Dongle, but it seems that it only dumps .sav files, not .3ds. If there is a method that does not require the $70 flashcard but requires a system lower than 9.4, I would still like to hear it.

PyroGoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there is a method that does not require the $70 flashcard but requires a system lower than 9.4, I would still like to hear it.

With a system on 9.2 or lower you can boot to the gateway exploit to dump a ROM and it does not require the use of the actual gateway card. I will look for a link.... **EDIT** Gateway Ultra Guide .... Load Gateway and choose dump ROM ----> http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...ltra-Guide?s=b399b3ec861b6d35b73cf454af048bd7 **\EDIT**

... you have the pleasure of getting my first post on the forum even though ive been a long time follower just all of the "ban craze" made me make an account so i figured i would actually contribute to the community.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
just run the gw exploit, if you have no gw card you will be brought to the gw menu. in the menu go to 'dump rom' or whatever it is called, and the game inserted will dump to sd, nice and simple :)
9.2 and below

Reactions: Fishaman P

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I'm freshly new into the whole limbo of ROM hacking and flashcards and such. As my 3DS XL is on 9.4, I cannot use a Gateway cart, nor do I care about (most) homebrew. As such, I have opted to purchase the Sky3DS (I know it gets a lot of flame for its lack of homebrew capabilities).

To my understanding, each ROM produced (whether uploaded on the internet or officially put into a retail copy) has its own "header" and that whenever two or more people are online with that header, the two identical headers are red flagged by nintendo and both will be unable to play online (and possibly ban). As such, the best way to assure successful online gameplay is to extract the "header" code from one of your own games and inject it into the publicly downloaded ROM.

I was wondering if there was any way to dump your own copy of a ROM without the use of a Gateway flashcard? I've looked into R4i Save Dongle, but it seems that it only dumps .sav files, not .3ds. If there is a method that does not require the $70 flashcard but requires a system lower than 9.4, I would still like to hear it.
The powersaves cheat dongle reads the header from the inserted cart and thus it is present in your computer's memory. You can use HxD to dump the powersave's virtual memory and search for known header plaintext (ex. "NCSD") and find the info you're looking for. Yes, I've done it before.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
The powersaves cheat dongle reads the header from the inserted cart and thus it is present in your computer's memory. You can use HxD to dump the powersave's virtual memory and search for known header plaintext (ex. "NCSD") and find the info you're looking for. Yes, I've done it before.

has this been talked about on the forum before? if so, i missed it, if not, clever idea! :)

timacbosoa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Lol I'm sorry, I'm not quite fluent in coding lingo. What you're saying is that the .sav extracted via some dongle device will contain the header and get it from there?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Lol I'm sorry, I'm not quite fluent in coding lingo. What you're saying is that the .sav extracted via some dongle device will contain the header and get it from there?

what he is saying is that, when using powersaves with the game, it is possible to view the memory (data in the ram) of powersaves, you can see the header of the game :)
maybe someone can make an app to display it automatically for you.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
what he is saying is that, when using powersaves with the game, it is possible to view the memory (data in the ram) of powersaves, you can see the header of the game :)
maybe someone can make an app to display it automatically for you.
Actually yeah, why hasn't anyone made a separate program for this?
All it takes is someone to flex their IDA Pro.

Reactions: timacbosoa

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Actually yeah, why hasn't anyone made a separate program for this?
All it takes is someone to flex their IDA Pro.

i would just try using something easy enough to use cheatengine lol - maybe it wouldn't work, i think it would though...? why not

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I need Powersaves Pro 3DS dongle, my original game cart, then pop it through Powersaves like normal, then I need to memory dump my PC??? So... doing a memory dump via PC rather than 3DS.

Ok. And how do I memory dump PC? "HxD"<---??? Ahh, found it.

So... pop it in, go back to HxD, opened RAM selected Powersaves.exe... searched for NCSD. Found it.

Where's my freaking header? What am I looking for?

D

Deleted User

Please teach me! I would rather dump my own roms instead of pirate all-together... I love my cubic ninja, and animal crossing.
Would it be considered piracy if I downloaded the cart version of a digital game?

xerochrono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please teach me! I would rather dump my own roms instead of pirate all-together... I love my cubic ninja, and animal crossing.
Would it be considered piracy if I downloaded the cart version of a digital game?

Nintendo would still consider this piracy. If you have a bunch of hangups about piracy just don't do it really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/hyundai-pauses-x-ads-nazi-content-platform-rcna148414