risk of mercury poisoning by cracked LCD screen

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by blueagent1999, Dec 1, 2017.

  1. blueagent1999
    OP

    blueagent1999 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    82
    12
    Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    unnamed.png

    does anyone know how toxic monochrome LCD screens from calculators actually are?

    growing up i was taught that these screens contain a liquid form of mercury, and that if you touch a cracked lcd screen you'll get mecury poisoning, is this actually true?

    i just found my old calculator but it got crushed by something heavy, basically the whole thing was just cracked open and so was the screen. anyways i just picked the caculator up without thinking and threw it in the trash, but i'm scared that i might accidentally have touched some mercury, so i guess my question is, can you get mercury poisoning by picking up a pulverized calculator with a cracked LCD screen?

    thanks for the help!
     
  2. thom_tl

    thom_tl GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    102
    32
    Aug 18, 2017
    Netherlands
    Behind my desk.
    The quantity of mercury is probably way too small to cause any kind of poisining if you would get it from this small amount the guy from this video would surely get it.
    Spoiler: he didn't
     
    blueagent1999 likes this.
  3. blueagent1999
    OP

    blueagent1999 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    82
    12
    Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    this is very reassuring to know, thanks for showing me the video ^_^
     
  4. thom_tl

    thom_tl GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    102
    32
    Aug 18, 2017
    Netherlands
    Behind my desk.
    You could also contact your doctor if you are still worried.
     
    blueagent1999 likes this.
  5. DinohScene

    DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

    Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

    Our Patreon
    16,551
    13,189
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    OP, you seem to be really paranoid.
    I suggest going to a psychiatrist.
     
    TerryG and blueagent1999 like this.
  6. blueagent1999
    This message by blueagent1999 has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Dec 1, 2017, Reason: We are not an imageboard.
    Dec 1, 2017
  7. eechigoo

    eechigoo Gbatemp amphibian

    Member
    488
    430
    Dec 22, 2016
    Mexico
    tu puta madre ;v
    I think the only threat would be if you swallowed it.
     
  8. Glyptofane

    Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    575
    293
    Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Your old dental fillings are a bigger danger to you than this.
     
  9. blueagent1999
    OP

    blueagent1999 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    82
    12
    Mar 9, 2017
    Hong Kong
    UPDATE:

    i went to the doctor's office last week, she took a blood/urine sample and had them sent to the labs over the weekend. so i just got a call from her this morning assuring me that i don't have mercury poisoning, though i've been advised to eat more healthy from now on, due to all the high blood cholesterol and whatnot.

    every once in a while my dental fillings would fall out in bits and pieces whenever i chew on something hard, though i've always managed to spit them out everytime.

    apparently dental fillings are made of mercury, quite scary if you think about what it will do to your liver and kidney.
     
    Last edited by blueagent1999, Dec 5, 2017
    thom_tl likes this.