Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love translation project

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by joesteve1914, Mar 8, 2014.

1. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    We just had a major breakthrough with the graphics! You can check the latest blog post for more info.

Also we could use some more translators, so if anyone's interested post here or comment anywhere on the blog.

MasterOfZoroark, DaVince and Celice like this.

2. Normmatt

Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

Dec 14, 2004
    New Zealand
    The font problem is easy enough to fix. The widths are in the 6th lz77 compressed file in resLibFnt. starting at byte 8 add charactercode*8 to get to the structure for the specific character at address 0x00 is 32bit offset to font, 0x05 is width and 0x07 looks like height.

The font in that file starts at 0x1808 and can be viewed in crystaltile2 with GBA3 Xbpp width 8 (must stay at 8 because of the encoding) height (variable)

joesteve1914 and DaVince like this.
  3. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Wow, thanks! It worked perfectly!

DaVince likes this.
  4. DarthVitrial

DarthVitrial Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2014
    United States
    People disliked the first Tingle game? It's one of my favorite games ever, and everyone I've loaned my copy to loved it. 0_o
    I will be eagerly awaiting the release of this.

joesteve1914 and Celice like this.
  5. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Yeah, I don't get it either :sleep:

6. DaVince

DaVince Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2007
    Netherlands
    Happy new year, everyone! This thread is long overdue for an update.

We've had a new translator for a few months now: waldrumpus, who has been doing a lot of translation work the past few months. He's really making a lot of progress, as evidenced by the blog post he made a few days ago!

joesteve1914 has also managed to solve the graphics issues, which is, of course, awesome.

Finally, I'm also getting back into the swing of things and once again helping with the translating. :)

Jt23738, Cyan, joesteve1914 and 2 others like this.
  7. waldrumpus

waldrumpus Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Hi you guys, I just wanted to properly introduce myself here.

I'm a software programmer by day, and at night (read: at the weekend) I work on the Tingle project along with DaVince and joesteve1914. This is the first fan translation I'm working on, and it's really fun, especially since I love this particular game. I find it especially interesting to work on the non-programming side of projects like this, but I'm also interested to learn about rom hacking, hoping to some day be able to translate some classic games into my native language of German.

Nice to meet you all!

DaVince, Pablitox, Celice and 3 others like this.
  8. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Hello, and welcome to ROM hacking :)
    Thank you for sharing your time and knowledge with and for everyone.
    Good luck on this project :grog:

9. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    One of my favorite things about romhacking is the ability for fans from all over the world to translate and make a favorite game available in their own native language.

I've seen Korean, Arabic, Greek, and Vietnamese translations of some really awesome games, and it blows my mind that this kind of dedication is out there.

DaVince likes this.
  10. MeowTheMouse

MeowTheMouse GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2008
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I was worried that the translation project has died, glad to see it still alive. I'm playing the first Tingle game and I'm loving it, so thanks for the hard work guys!

joesteve1914 and DaVince like this.
  11. DaVince

DaVince Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2007
    Netherlands
    If anything, there has been more interest in it than ever!

12. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Wow, this thread is long overdue for an update!

The text translation is coming along nicely, with 35% of the script completed. We also now have a new title screen inserted into the game thanks to FShadow! (added screenshot to first post)

As always, check the blog for more details.

sieroi, Celice, oji and 1 other person like this.
  13. Pablitox

Pablitox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 18, 2011
    Argentina
    Always good watching project's progress go up. Good luck!

joesteve1914 likes this.
  14. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    We'd like to welcome Zell0s onto the team as our new graphics editor!

I'll be updating the OP soon to show the font width fix that I finally implemented (thanks again to Normmatt).

15. zadanlavey

zadanlavey Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2008
    Mexico
    Hello guys!

It's great to see this project still alive, the first game was great and will be nice to play the second in a language I can understand.

42% is a huge advance, Keep up the great work!

zL

16. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    It's been a few months since this thread was updated, so I figured I'd discuss things a little.
    We're making good progress with the graphics, and anticipate to finish those in the foreseeable future.
    The script is making very good progress, and will probably be finished somewhat soon as well!
    That percentage is from early 2015 I believe. While I won't give a concrete percent, I'd say we're almost double that at this point.

17. Anjiera

Anjiera 漫画 && ROM XL8R

May 23, 2015
    Canada
    Awesome! Keep up the great work! I know it can be tough to keep up the motivation on these long long projects. I'm working on the Ni No Kuni translation, and it is just daunting to look at how much stuff is left and how little a full day of translation can move the needle. BUT! In the end there will be a fantastic translation patch file, and everyone in the universe will buy you beer! Right? That's what they promised me when I started translating... (>_<)

Anyway, keep on chugging! You're down to the last stretch, you're waaay past halfway done, and all your efforts will be worth it in the end. :) From one translator to another, congratulations on sticking it out so long! Your dedication to the project is admirable, and I can't wait to play your translation, even though I already have (and can understand) the Japanese game.

You rule! Keep on rocking in the freeworld! Freebird! etc etc encouragement!!

18. Sora de Eclaune

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    I love Rosey Rupeeland, and I just cannot wait to see how much fun this game is!

joesteve1914 and MarkDarkness like this.
  19. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Thanks! It really means a lot, especially coming from another fan translator!
    I took a look at your project as well, it looks really awesome! I'll definitely give Ni No Kuni a try when your path is released :)

Anjiera likes this.
  20. joesteve1914
    OP

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Update time! (finally :D)

I'm excited and proud to announce that the first draft of the translated script is nearly complete! This is thanks to the hard work and amazing dedication of @waldrumpus in these last few months. This means that we're going to begin the editing process very soon, and an initial patch release should follow after that! Our plan to have a patch out by the end of 2017 is still valid, but I'm afraid that's all I can offer in terms of a planned release date :D

Anyways, we could also use some additional help with graphics. I'll just direct you here if you're interested -
    http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24203.0