Hacking Riivolution

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the plug!
Jackass!

I love how people are simply pissed that an app came out that they can't use as they desire. Maybe not EVERY app in the world is written specifically for you.
Riivolution is amazing, and will change the wii hacking scene forever.

P.S. The NEWER Team does not support pirarcy either, and will be using Riivolution to help ensure our GAME MOD/HACK is 100% legal!
(That's not to say it will not work in EVERY other desired way)

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is against modding of their games. Remember the law suit against Game Genie?

On the other hand, some companies think mods bring new life to games and bring in new players. Hell!, Epic encourages mods of thier Unreal and Unreal Tournament games.

It's up to the companies, if they want to stop modders.

Toad King

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
killplaystation said:
Toad King said:
killplaystation said:
It's just as illegal for copyright laws to modify/distribute mods of a retail game, as it is to run pirate backups.
Get off your pedestal and just realize that its all frowned upon and you're not doing the right thing by "blocking" usb backups.
Plus he probably just couldn't implement the usb loading anyway.
And here it comes...

Listen, what they're distributing is essentially patch files for games. While I don't know if any court has tried it, I'm pretty sure international copyright laws protect the user to modify their copy of the product as they wish as long as they don't distribute any of the original product.

This is pretty much on par with mods for PC games.
so the editor doesn't come with any textures? and/or no mods make use of copy-written logo's...
and again, he probably just couldn't implement the usb loading functionality anyway.
Hey look, Reggie! got released. Maybe you should complain here instead. (Also, that logo is from a fan mod that also isn't the point of this topic.)

On topic: Nice work! Glad that I don't have to hassle with weird Ocarina codes anymore for texture hacks.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
chartube12 said:
Nintendo is against modding of their games. Remember the law suit against Game Genie?

On the other hand, some companies think mods bring new life to games and bring in new players. Hell!, Epic encourages mods of thier Unreal and Unreal Tournament games.

It's up to the companies, if they want to stop modders.

that's because there is a legit mod engine by the developers, Unreal Editor that's shipped with Ureal

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Sorry, but this app isn't good enough for me. I need something that can load "backups" instantly. Without even having to download them or anything. Surely you can just make Riivolution steal the data from Nintendo's servers, right?

/sarcasm

Awesome release.
biggrin.gif

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LOL at pirates citing copyright law and calling the devs hypocrites.

There are a handful of potential reasons, aside from taking a moral high ground, for why the conscious decision to not support piracy might have been made:
1. Making the app piracy-free makes it marketable to a huge Wii market. Riivolution is set up so that people can use it even without the Homebrew Channel. Even as pervasive as piracy is, I am sure that there are far more people who own retail copies of NSMBW than who pirated it.
2. Supporting pirate loaders ("backup loaders" is a misnomer) takes a lot more work than you might think. With the large variety of methods (USB loaders, CORP, modchips, etc) it is very easy for issues to crop up that prompt bug reports and require fixes. CORP originally caused Riivolution to crash. Instead of taking time and effort to fixing it, they decide CORP is not necessary and block it.
3. The HackMii team took a similar stand to avoid potential legal backlash and repercussion. What they did is still technically in violation of TOS (installing unsupported software and reverse-engineering), but by avoiding openly allowing piracy they maintain a secure legal standpoint. Probably true for RVLution too.

Also, pretty much anything that you can do with Riivolution can be done relatively easily with fileswapping manually - how about you just go do the work yourself instead of griping that someone else's hard work doesn't meet your demands? I know laziness is a hallmark of GBAtemp users, but srsly, if you want something this bad just do it yourself.

grrkodiak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If Riivolution does not fit your needs, you either make an application that will, STFU about your special need and/or wait until someone build an application that fits your need.

Now go back to your couch, have a piece of pizza you lazy bum and do like everybody else

Thanks Aaron

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
grrkodiak said:
If Riivolution does not fit your needs, you either make an application that will, STFU about your special need and/or wait until someone build an application that fits your need.

Now go back to your couch, have a piece of pizza you lazy bum and do like everybody else

Thanks Aaron

who exactly are you aiming this at?

sensible question..

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
mariobros1 said:
So I guess this ain't going to be open source...

Well I guess I'll just have to wait......

Of course it won't be open source, that would make it too easy to support piracy. In fact, I would expect it to use every anti-debugger protection trick in the book and maybe a few new ones.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Super Mario Bros Wii works through the Disc Channel with no problems. But it doesn't work on Riivolution ("Disc Read Error"). On system menu 3.2 USA. Any suggestions?

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempusC said:
Use a retail disc. We’ve had plenty of positive testing of NSMBW and that’s exactly what will happen if you don’t have a retail disc.

Alrighty, thanks.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
1. It's not a burned copy right?
2. Run the 4.2 menu update. It's easy enough to do and the features are totally worth it. Doing that might fix your issue. Again, this is meant for legit Wii users, so a 4.2 menu is somewhat expected.

grrkodiak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone have a RB2 template. I had seen a model of one on a website but do not remember which one. Should had bookmark the site

Thanks

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
would cIOSx base 37 slot switched to IOS37 not work?? mmmm or even Hermes

these both use the latest IOS37 as bases

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zolga. said:
Matt93 said:
AerialX said:
Does Riivolution work with my "backups" or USB loaders?
No. And that's not a bug.
This ruins things for a lot of people. I install my retail games to my hard drive and play them via USB loader because it is much more convenient.

Then why don't you just replace the files on the .iso?
It isn't that hard...
You're right, I could just do that. I'm not complaining about difficulty, but a lot of people won't use it because USB loaders are unsupported. Myself included.

QUOTE(killplaystation @ Mar 21 2010, 03:11 PM)
haha! people already have it working with usb loaders. Youtube video to come
smile.gif
But I guess I won't have to worry after all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: