Riddle: Are You Smart Enough To Figure It Out?

D

Deleted User

John Doe only likes numbers that can be made by multiplying a number by itself. 5x5=25, 20x20=400, 12x12=144, 40x40=1600.

Reactions: Februarysn0w
D

Deleted User

None of the above.

Lil' Johnnie only likes numbers with a sqaure root. None of those numbers has a sqaure root.

Forgive me if someone already figured this out.

D

Deleted User

Off topic but I fucking hate math riddles. Not everybody is a mathematician, so not everybody knows about shit like fibbionacci's sequence and squares etc. The best riddles are those which require logic.

Related: I was going through an old Mensa Workbook the other day (from the late 90s), and I noticed that there were too many riddles that relied on vocabulary. Like, you had to know what the meaning of this word was and this is to this as this is to this and whatnot.

If you're going to judge a person's IQ, don't judge their vocabulary. You could have a really smart person fail the test just because they don't know a word of English.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Related: I was going through an old Mensa Workbook the other day (from the late 90s), and I noticed that there were too many riddles that relied on vocabulary. Like, you had to know what the meaning of this word was and this is to this as this is to this and whatnot.

If you're going to judge a person's IQ, don't judge their vocabulary. You could have a really smart person fail the test just because they don't know a word of English.
Yeah, I agree with with you. I think math riddles are fine. If someone doesn't know what squares are, Idk what to tell them.

Now, if you have to do stuff like linear integration or use partial derivations, I understand. That stuff isn't taught in k-12.

Last edited by invaderyoyo,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Sixty nine is nine
Nine is four
Four is the magic number

Why is four the magic number? (You can try another number if you want, it may help)
The word "four" has four letters. in every line you count the number of letters in the previous number until you get to a number with four letters, and every subsequent line is "four". Four is the magic number.

Off topic but I fucking hate math riddles. Not everybody is a mathematician, so not everybody knows about shit like fibbionacci's sequence and squares etc. The best riddles are those which require logic.
I don't think the Fibonacci sequence or the multipilcation table are high level, "mathematician-only" math, they are pretty basic stuff. I would understand if you were complaining about multiple integrals or calculus or set theory or basic statistics and probability (now that shit is hard), but addition and multiplication are first grade math.

IQ tests have their equivalents in other languages. Of course it's not reasonable to expect someone to solve the test in a foreign language, it's a pattern and relation recognition test, not a language exam.

Mensa tries to solve this problem by having their tests be visual-only, with no word problems and no language involvement, but this really limits their test scope. Their standardized test is mostly graphical symbols, and recognizing sequences.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night