Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Are CHD files working in the PC Engine CD and Sega CD WiiU cores? I believe they are working in Retropie lr-beetle-pce-fast and lr-genesis-plus-gx (https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/72kh6q/stepbystep_guide_how_to_convert_sega_cd_or_pc/). This would save a lot of space in storage.
It's working for Sega CD games (I didn't notice any difference against regular bin-cue), but with PCE CD I got distorted audio, the game plays fine though.

Anyway, it's super neat tool, I freed up 7gb in storage out 15 Sega CD games :lol:

Last edited by cucholix,

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Could it be that it's the games that are causing freeze on start? Maybe I did something wrong when I was making covers and icons ...
EDIT:
For a full wipe I need to delete Retroarch on root and all the RPX in the WiiU folder right?

Last edited by fatsquirrel,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could it be that it's the games that are causing freeze on start? Maybe I did something wrong when I was making covers and icons ...
EDIT:
For a full wipe I need to delete Retroarch on root and all the RPX in the WiiU folder right?

In the wiiu/apps/retroarch yes. or install the RetroArch channel and bypass the main RPX altogether. It's broken. Working fine over here.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
EDIT:
Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint where the issue exactly is, it can be in any writeable file: core_config, retroarch_config, savefile, savestate, even system config files...

If the playlist is borked it shouldn't prevent RA from booting, as it's loaded when you select a game from it, same if you have a bad game dump, it won't freeze RA at the start.

Last edited by cucholix,
Reactions: fatsquirrel

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have to play muted most of the time so I dont mind that. I thought the picture is very dark in VCs compared to Retroarch
As a tie-in to what @the_randomizer said, indeed the darker filter (or with the proper name of gamma correction) was applied as a form of anti-seizure to older games and new games starting from the DS era (I believe) and still continues on today.
I think they did so because of a law which was implemented to avoid seizures from flashing colours or images in public media, so they implemented the filter as a way to take that law into account for VC releases.

Not only that, but they implemented patches to the original ROMs to modify the palettes and colours of games which had strong flashing images, a clear example of this is ALttP.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Reactions: fatsquirrel

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a tie-in to what @the_randomizer said, indeed the darker filter (or with the proper name of gamma correction) was applied as a form of anti-seizure to older games and new games starting from the DS era (I believe) and still continues on today.
I think they did so because of a law which was implemented to avoid seizures from flashing colours or images in public media.

What's weird is that the filter isn't prominent in the Snes Classic Mini, but then again, NERD wrote the emulator, and looks more vibrant. Looks like how it looks on RetroArch Wii U.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What's weird is that the filter isn't prominent in the Snes Classic Mini, but then again, NERD wrote the emulator, and looks more vibrant. Looks like how it looks on RetroArch Wii U.
I can tell you why they did that.
Look at this video:

And now look at this one:

Take a closer look at the exact moment when the sword hits the title screen.
They are still using the patched ROMs for the SNES Mini release, which is why they could get around the dark filter thing in the Mini.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell you why they did that.
Look at this video:

And now look at this one:

Take a closer look at the exact moment when the sword hits the title screen.
They are still using the patched ROMs for the SNES Mini release, which is why they could get around the dark filter thing in the Mini.

It's still a helluva an improvement, thankfully you can hide the stock ROMs and install the same ones so you can bypass the filtering. But I digress, sorry for going off topic. Point is, unofficial emulation will
always be superior to official emulation. RetroArch and Snes9x is the best Snes on Wii U.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Not only that, but they implemented patches to the original ROMs to modify the palettes and colours of games which had strong flashing images, a clear example of this is ALttP.
Now that's just cruel!

Funny though games as flashy and vibrant as Bayonetta 2 got free pass :P (not that I complain)

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
In the wiiu/apps/retroarch yes. or install the RetroArch channel and bypass the main RPX altogether. It's broken. Working fine over here.
I have the channel and it's not working for life

Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint where the issue exactly is, it can be in any writeable file: core_config, retroarch_config, savefile, savestate, even system config files...

If the playlist is borked it shouldn't prevent RA from booting, as it's loaded when you select a game from it, same if you have a bad game dump, it won't freeze RA at the start.
Please dont tell me my savegames are corrupt :(
I'll try to delete everything and see if it works.

EDIT:

Wait a minute, I just realized.
I am always lanunching MOCHA before I launch channel. Could that be the cause for freeze?

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Wait a minute, I just realized.
I am always lanunching MOCHA before I launch channel. Could that be the cause for freeze?
Can you actually launch the channel, or it throws you 160- error?
Not sure about mocha (I use Haxchi CFW), but it should allows boot fake signed Wii U channels.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you actually launch the channel, or it throws you 160- error?
Not sure about mocha (I use Haxchi CFW), but it should allows boot fake signed Wii U channels.
I'm using Haxchi then I launch mocha from the HBL and when it returns to the XBM I launch Retroarch channel. I get the Retroarch splash screen and when it tries to boot into the program, black screen and hard freeze.
What kind of CFW are you using? Fw image? Or am I doing something completely wrong here? :D
I tried complete wipe of retroarch now. Same thing. I reinstalled channel 2 times both USB and NAND, same thing. I'm completely lost

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Haxchi then I launch mocha from the HBL and when it returns to the XBM I launch Retroarch channel. I get the Retroarch splash screen and when it tries to boot into the program, black screen and hard freeze.
What kind of CFW are you using? Fw image? Or am I doing something completely wrong here? :D
I tried complete wipe of retroarch now. Same thing. I reinstalled channel 2 times both USB and NAND, same thing. I'm completely lost

Why are you using Mocha? Haxchi + CFW is the way to go from Fix94. No need to use Mocha, like, ever. There's no reason that it doesn't work since others can use it fine.

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Just boot Haxchi and hold the B button while banner screen is displaying, it will take you back to the Wii U menu with all the CFW patches in place.

If you can boot the channel then the problem is in the SD, maybe wrong folder structure?

Also try a fresh RA install, maybe your cores are corrupted, your cores go in sd:/retroarch/cores if you use the channel you don't need the "retroarch.rpx" as @the_randomizer said it's broken in latest releases.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just boot Haxchi and hold the B button while banner screen is displaying, it will take you back to the Wii U menu with all the CFW patches in place.

If you can boot the channel then the problem is in the SD, maybe wrong folder structure?

Also try a fresh RA install, maybe your cores are corrupted, your cores go in sd:/retroarch/cores if you use the channel you don't need the "retroarch.rpx" as @the_randomizer said it's broken in latest releases.

You sill need Haxchi + CFW to do the B button trick, vanilla Haxchi won't load CFW, just pointing that out.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Um I'm a bit confused now :)
As far as I know button combinations are to be configured. For example I have A button for Mocha.
What Haxchi CFW are we talking about specifically? FW image?

@cucholix
I double checked structure and it is correct. Also I did complete fresh install a few hours ago and still the same issue :(
Im thinking now that it has something to do with mocha?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE