Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now the game works, shortening the file name back to its original name when first downloading it fixed it. I really wish I could give all the games I have their proper game title.
Make folders and put the zips in the folders ;) Then they are in a folder named the game

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Guys where can I find the keyboard skin for retroarch for the search and renaming screens?
Its driving me mad that I always get a white screen and have to play around.

Also, what folder does it go into? Thanks
That is how it is right now. As far as i know. its still stuck on white.

Reactions: fst312
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Guys where can I find the keyboard skin for retroarch for the search and renaming screens?
Its driving me mad that I always get a white screen and have to play around.

Also, what folder does it go into? Thanks

That is how it is right now. As far as i know. its still stuck on white.

Check out the "Setting up XMB" section of the OP.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now the game works, shortening the file name back to its original name when first downloading it fixed it. I really wish I could give all the games I have their proper game title.
That's what playlists are for. They put your roms into collections where they can be named whatever you want. Follow either the tutorial in my signature or use playlist buddy with a dat file following OP.

Maschell

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The mechanics of HID to VPAD are completely integrated in RetroArch if I got Maschell right so every USB HID controller is supported theoretically. I've used GC controllers in RetroArch already.

But if got something wrong. My USB SNES controllers don't get recognized in HID to VPAD but they do in "HID to VPAD test".
If I press the buttons there, some values do change.

@Maschell : Any idea how to fix that?

You need to create a .ini file and place it on the sd card. Then the controller should work in HID to VPAD, Retroarch and loadiine

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Possible on wii u ?

What exactly?
Playing roms (including Arcade and SNES) is possible.
What's not is the Classic Mini menu as this is Ninty stuff. Also border overlays are still not supported and PSX emulation is still being worked on. Everything else works so far (more or less).

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've got a small problem with those sweet guys here:

5af323ce-fd71-48ad-b2b1-c7f795b79fca.jpg

I have a 4 port USB hub connected to the first of my Wii U's front slots. In the hub the Mario controller is in port 1 and the Luigi controller is in port 2.
Thanks to Maschell I've built an ini file (here) which is working for the Wii U.
That means I can map one controller to player one and the other to player two in HID to VPAD which is working great for Wii U games like Mario Kart 8.

However in RetroArch it doesn't work. They are being detected with the ini in place now and I wanted to set them up as player 2 and 3 while player 1 is the Wii U gamepad.
In the input settings they show up as something like HID 0810/E501 (#01) and HID 0810/E501 (#02). So obviously I mapped #1 (Mario style) to player 2 and #2 (Luigi style) to player 3.
But everytime I launch a 4 player game it happens that the Mario style pad (#01) is controlling both players (2 and 3) at the same time while the Luigi style pad (#02) does nothing in game.

Any ideas?

Edit: After some research people around the internet seem to use "udev" as the input driver but I guess we are forced to use "wiiu" on the Wii U. Otherwise the built in mechanics of HID to VPAD won't work I guess?

Last edited by lordelan,

fmhugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What exactly?
Playing roms (including Arcade and SNES) is possible.
What's not is the Classic Mini menu as this is Ninty stuff. Also border overlays are still not supported and PSX emulation is still being worked on. Everything else works so far (more or less).
SNES classic mini gui menu

dummy90510

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Quick couple questions.
First, is there a setting in retroarch that allows simultaneous use of the Pro Controller and Tablet controller to operate the retroarch menu ? For example, Loadiine allows me to use either at once. I could be playing on the TV in my living room with the pro controller, and decide to go do something. I could just grab the tablte controller and keep going. I don't need to set either controller to control the menu.

By contrast in Retroarch, I need to specifically set the pro controller or tablet controller in the menu. One is disabled while the other is enacted. If I had been previously using the pro controller and saved the config, next time I grabbed my tablet and wanted to play - I'd have no control over the retroarch menu. Is there some sort of configuration I can do to smoothen this out?

Also, is there GC controller compatibility? I have a snes to GC controller adapter that would be awesome to use.
Than you.

Reactions: bixxewoscht

Fil o_O

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK, I really run into a cascade of problems today with Retroarch, so I try to get into the details.

I'm on 5.5.1 CBHC 1.6. Connected are a HDD via usb + a Wii U Stealth hidden Thumbdrive. I updated the homebrew apps to their latest version (today, October 15) as well as Retroarch and the cores. I installed the Retroarch Channel using WUP installer GX 2. I have set up everything according to the tutorial on this Thread's page 1.
I have created four playlists, two for SNES, one for NES and one for GBA.
I got everything working, a red wallpaper and the pretty GUI, all that worked. I launched two SNES titles, one NES title and lastly one GBA title. I then went back to the home menu, played something else, a vwii injected title and a GC title, then I tried relaunching RetrArch via the channel. I then got a "There's a problem with the system memory... error message." which I googled and found this thread: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/4739 . I then tried to launch retro arch via the hbl, first attempt I got the same error message again, second I got into retro arch but without GUI. I klicked right to see what happened to the playlist, but nothing moved, the screen froze. I then turned the console off, relaunched hbl and launched snes9x directly. I booted into the pretty UI, and updated assets. During that update the console just turned off - no message, nothing. Just turned off. I turned it back on and tired tot update stuff via the homebrew appstore - Wii U didn't have any connection to the internet. Strange! I removed CMOS battery and internet works again. I went to hb appstore and tried to download more cores. But when I click on GET nothing happens. I put my micro SD card into the pc to check it for errors, "The disk is write protected" - but it's a micro SD card, without a slider for protection!

Now, did I mess something up really bad? I know people have reported the System memory error message for retro arch. I would like to continue setting it up but I'm a little scared now since I suspect in the process it my 64 gig Transcend sd card got killed. and I don't know if that's at all health for the wii u itself.

any help is very much appreciated!

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I really run into a cascade of problems today with Retroarch....

Hi. I had the same exact problem a few nights ago and trust me whatever you do for some reason the retroarch app will not be the same ever, so just delete it and do a fresh install.
I advise you to simply pick you GUI of choice and inputs on your first run and then exit the app so those choices get saved. Don’t run any cores/games on your first run and just set it up. Also if you are going to be using the Channel you don’t need a single core folder under wiiu/apps/here....not even the retroarch one as its already installed/injected via the Channel. Just install retroarch folder on root and download or rewrite cores from the retroarch app or site on that folder when you want to update. Careful of overwriting your playlists, I just keep them on my desktop as well lol.
Also, I find myself closing the current running content now before I want to start running a new game and it helps with prolonging that memory error and at most times having a solid run of a few games and not getting it at all.
This memory error is some funky shiz and I hope they fix it soon.

Last edited by Maxbeta, , Reason: Added additional info
Reactions: Fil o_O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: