Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright @cucholix @QuarkTheAwesome @ploggy @the_randomizer and who else thinks he has got some knowledge, I really want to bring some light into the darkness.

Since I have some time the next week I want to make the Wiki nice and noob friendly.
Of course I'll start with the installation guide and some tips from OP (thank again, cucholix),
but I also want to provide some special guides for more complicated things like DosBox and Arcade.

To start, it would be very nice, if one of you could quote this list (I got it from the screenshot from OP but everyone can also find the correct names here) and write after each system which is the best core for it (if there are multiple cores).
Also where the CPS 1, 2, 3 should go in (I guess FB Alpha folder?), and which are the correct ROM sets for arcade and in which folder each goes. For example FB Alpha Romset version should be v0.2.97.30 as ploggy said somewhere here but I also read somewhere that it's 0.2.97.39 and for MAME as 2003 is the only core for the Wii U, the romset would be 0.78 I guess?

However, here is the list I want you to quote and complete and as an example I put in the prefered cores for SNES, NES, MAME and the romset for MAME:
Code:
Amstrad - CPC
Atari - 2600
Atari - 5200
Atari - Lynx
Atari - ST
Bandai - WonderSwan Color
Cave Story
Commodore - 64
Commodore - Amiga
DOOM
DOS
FB Alpha - Arcade Games
GCE -Vectrex
MAME2003 -> Mame2003 -> rom set 0.78
Microsoft - MSX2
NEC - PC Engine - TurboGrafx 16
NEC - PC Engine CD - TurboGrafx-CD
Nintendo - Game & Watch
Nintendo - Game Boy
Nintendo - Game Boy Advance
Nintendo - Game Boy Color
Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System -> Nestopia
Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System -> Snes9x
Nintendo - Virtual Boy
Quake1
Sega - Game Gear
Sega - Master System - Mark III
Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis
Sega - Mega CD - Sega CD
Sinclair - ZX Spectrum
SNK - Neo Geo CD
SNK - Neo Geo Pocket Color

I will do a general setup guide (similar to OP) and some special guides for each system (where it is needed) to clarify if (and which) BIOS is needed, how it has to be named, where it has to be placed, which rom version is prefered (zip or unzipped, bin/cue or CHD or whatever).

Would be great if you help me out here. :)

I'm confused on what you want me to do exactly? :P But I'll make a list of what I use :D

mGBA for the following:
Nintendo - Game Boy

Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Snes9x
Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System - Nestopia

Genesis Plus for the following:
Sega - Mega CD
Sega - Master System/Mark III
Sega - Genesis/Mega Drive

Beetle PCE-Fast for the following:
NEC - TurboGrafx 16/CD
NEC - PCE Engine/CD

Arcade:
Capcom CPS1/2 - Final Burn Alpha

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: lordelan

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Alright @cucholix @QuarkTheAwesome @ploggy @the_randomizer and who else thinks he has got some knowledge, I really want to bring some light into the darkness.

Since I have some time the next week I want to make the Wiki nice and noob friendly.
Of course I'll start with the installation guide and some tips from OP (thank again, cucholix),
but I also want to provide some special guides for more complicated things like DosBox and Arcade.

To start, it would be very nice, if one of you could quote this list (I got it from the screenshot from OP but everyone can also find the correct names here) and write after each system which is the best core for it (if there are multiple cores).
Also where the CPS 1, 2, 3 should go in (I guess FB Alpha folder?), and which are the correct ROM sets for arcade and in which folder each goes. For example FB Alpha Romset version should be v0.2.97.30 as ploggy said somewhere here but I also read somewhere that it's 0.2.97.39 and for MAME as 2003 is the only core for the Wii U, the romset would be 0.78 I guess?

However, here is the list I want you to quote and complete and as an example I put in the prefered cores for SNES, NES, MAME and the romset for MAME:
Code:
Amstrad - CPC
Atari - 2600
Atari - 5200
Atari - Lynx
Atari - ST
Bandai - WonderSwan Color
Cave Story
Commodore - 64
Commodore - Amiga
DOOM
DOS
FB Alpha - Arcade Games
GCE -Vectrex
Microsoft - MSX2
NEC - PC Engine - TurboGrafx 16
NEC - PC Engine CD - TurboGrafx-CD
Nintendo - Game & Watch
Nintendo - Game Boy
Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System -> Nestopia
Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System -> Snes9x
Nintendo - Virtual Boy
Quake1
Sega - Game Gear
Sega - Mega CD - Sega CD
Sinclair - ZX Spectrum
SNK - Neo Geo CD
SNK - Neo Geo Pocket Color

I will do a general setup guide (similar to OP) and some special guides for each system (where it is needed) to clarify if (and which) BIOS is needed, how it has to be named, where it has to be placed, which rom version is prefered (zip or unzipped, bin/cue or CHD or whatever).

Would be great if you help me out here. :)
I can't tell you about most of them because I usually only play the systems I owned mostly.

But here goes mine:

DOOM - PrBoom
DOS - DosBox
FB Alpha - FBA Alpha (main one)
MAME2003 -> Mame2003 -> rom set 0.78 - Same as posted previously
Microsoft - MSX2 - blueMSX
NEC - PC Engine - TurboGrafx 16 / TurboGrafx CD - Beetle PCE-Fast

mGBA for all three:
Nintendo - Game Boy

Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System -> Nestopia or Fceumm
Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System -> Snes9x (main one, not any of the 20XX versions)
Nintendo - Virtual Boy - Beetle VB
Quake1 - TyrQuake

Genesis Plus for all three:
Sega - Game Gear
Sega - Mega CD - Sega CD

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I tested some more CHDs and here's what I noticed:
  • CUE/BIN games for Sega CD in CHD work great, regardless if original image was in multiple BINs (Redump.org verified images) or in single BIN (Darkwater images).
  • Games for Sega CD in CUE/ISO/WAV format combination (data track presented as ISO, CD audio presented as WAV files) convert to CHD as audio CDs and boot into Sega CD audio player instead of the game. Don't convert those, if you have them for some reason.
  • PC Engine CD currently has huge problems with CD audio for CHD. Games load properly, but the music is either missing or replaced with loud noise.
So far you can compress CUE/BIN (the most common format) Sega CD games and play them without issues.
In my experience, that second one happens when the emulated Mega CD is the wrong region. Maybe you're missing the region's BIOS file, or the autodetect failed.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

TLPD-AVW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
In my experience, that second one happens when the emulated Mega CD is the wrong region. Maybe you're missing the region's BIOS file, or the autodetect failed.

I'm pretty sure that both CUE/ISO/WAV games I tested were North American and they booted US BIOS (and it has a unique music, I'm sure it's US BIOS). Nevertheless, I already replaced them with CUE/BIN versions.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, you can use Wii VC Injections.
Ah, that thing ... :P Okay.

Edit: But I'd like to repeat your question (whether RetroArch could make use of WFS drives) and add another question on top:
Which size does your FAT32 partition have, that anyone of you has already used successfully with RetroArch?
I'm not speaking of Mocha FAT32 build, I'm speaking of launching RetroArch "normally" from SD card (after launching a CFW of course) but starting roms from USB.

Because my drive which I'm using for vWii has 5 TB (one big FAT32 partition) and doesn't work with RetroArch for Wii U. :(
I can go to "usb:/" in the filebrowser but not a single directory or file of my HDD shows up there.

Last edited by lordelan,

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, that thing ... :P Okay.

Edit: But I'd like to repeat your question (whether RetroArch could make use of WFS drives) and add another question on top:
Which size does your FAT32 partition have, that anyone of you has already used successfully with RetroArch?
I'm not speaking of Mocha FAT32 build, I'm speaking of launching RetroArch "normally" from SD card (after launching a CFW of course) but starting roms from USB.

Because my drive which I'm using for vWii has 5 TB (one big FAT32 partition) and doesn't work with RetroArch for Wii U. :(
I can go to "usb:/" in the filebrowser but not a single directory or file of my HDD shows up there.

That is because in order for Retroarch to recognize it it needs to be in the first HD location with no other HDS hooked up. I think there is a fix that was just put into nintendont that fixes that. So maybe if that is what it is, it could be updated to where you could load them off of a HD in any slot.

D

Deleted User

how exactly do i get dosbox working? trying to launch wolfenstein 3d shareware just sticks me at the menu (enter to continue esc to exit). no option to bind keyboard controls.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The buttons should already be configured. I dunno how they stack up to that though. But i know when I load Dune 2 they are already setup for it.

D

Deleted User

trying other games yields the same result. tried deleting my config and setting binded keys to default. nothing.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno i didn't set any keys to anything i just loaded a game up and it worked perfect. but I have only tried that one game. no wait 2. but maybe i did have probs with it. I dont remmeber now. Since that is the only game i cared about on dosbox lol uhhhhhhh Hmmmm maybe @ShadowOne333 has insight i think he had some games working on it i dont remember who it was exactly .

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I dunno i didn't set any keys to anything i just loaded a game up and it worked perfect. but I have only tried that one game. no wait 2. but maybe i did have probs with it. I dont remmeber now. Since that is the only game i cared about on dosbox lol uhhhhhhh Hmmmm maybe @ShadowOne333 has insight i think he had some games working on it i dont remember who it was exactly .
What game is it?

Davor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So what are you exactly trying to do or say by that?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wolfenstein 3d shareware .
Hello!

If I'm not mistaken, you can press Home button to exit to Retroarch menu. There you can find options menu, which contains button bindings. You can bind Enter to any button (L2 for example), and then just exit options and choose Resume from the menu to go back to the game.

Hope this helps (and works - I've only tried it in Vice).

Best regards,
Davor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1