Homebrew RetroArch Wii vs Other Emulators?

Should I use...

• RetroArch

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other Emulators

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Both

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

matpower

Messenger from Zero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well, since most emulators aren't receiving updates anymore, RetroArch looks like a good option right now. I want to know if it can emulate any peripherals like the SNES Super Scope for example, compatibility, sound and the basic features. I can't test RetroArch right now since my WiiMotes are missing in some drawer. :P
(Also I want to know if the compatibility in the VB, NGP and N64(If ported) cores are good.)

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I can tell you that so far most of the Retroarch Cores work better than the standalone emulators in most cases, GBA being one of their finest parts (A lot of games run now at Full Speed, which you can't get in VBA GX or Wiimednafen GBA)... But I would be lying if I said that it renders the other emulators useless, far from it. FceumGX and Snes9GX for example have some fantastic features, like the posibility of cheats, the use the Wiimote to aim the screen like the NES Zapper & the Super Scope, like you say.

Retroarch works very well with most of the systems, and it is getting better and better as far as emulation go, but it misses most of those features, so, in my most honest opinion, I would have all of them around (And I actually do that).

I didn't tried that much Virtual Boy, but WiiMednafen VB is for now the better option (Or at the very least, Virtual Wario works fine in it). As for NeoGeo Pocket, I know there are a few problems regarding the controls, I don't know if it was fixed in the last update or not (Some people use the NGP Core from the 9.9 release instead of the current one), and as far as I know there is no N64 core out yet.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The trouble with the standalone Snes/Nes emulators is that they rely heavily on frameskip, which kills the framerate in many games like Star Ocean, even Final Fantasy VI is affected in large dungeons (floating continent is a big offender), I thought RetroArch had cheat support for cheat files...? Not to mention the standalone emulators GX are, well, dead as Tantric/dborth has stopped working on them.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The trouble with the standalone Snes/Nes emulators is that they rely heavily on frameskip, which kills the framerate in many games like Star Ocean, even Final Fantasy VI is affected in large dungeons (floating continent is a big offender), I thought RetroArch had cheat support for cheat files...? Not to mention the standalone emulators GX are, well, dead as Tantric/dborth has stopped working on them.

I don't know if they are avaiable in Wii, in Retroarch.cfg there are some commands about cheats, but most of them are marked as "Nul" and don't do anything, and in the last part there is an empty "Cheat_Database_Path". I would like to see if they actually work but I don't find that much "googling" about it, and I dont' want to mess the configurations (At least not again...).

I wouldn't call cheats the most important thing, but messing and experimenting with them in some games can be really fun (More than "Infinite Life/lives/whatever", of course).

For now I use both. Retroarch when I want to play normally with better emulation, and the others when I want to use the gimmicky controls (Zapper, Scope, etc), use cheats, or some games that doesn't work in RA (Which are not that many).

After all, Why not having them all? The emus don't take that much memory in the SD (Although RA is getting bigger with each release!), and can be handy.

By the way, thanks for mentioning Star Ocean, I completely forgot the existence of that game!

matpower

Messenger from Zero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
no cheat support is a deal breaker. otherwise id dump the others in a heartbeat.

Well, I don't use cheats often(Besides for some fun stuff like accessing Hidden Palace on Sonic 2 Final), so if I need them, I can use the GX emulators.
Yeah, I know about the frameskipping issue with most Wii emulators, also do you know why the GX emulators stopped being updated? (I was a bit out of the Wii Scene for a while, I just want to know).

Also the poll is funny, 3 votes to RetroArch Alone and 3 votes to RetroArch+Others. :P

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I've done many wad injections for my favorite games and they all work as far as I've played them and these wads "just" work, all I have to do is launch them. That's why I would suggest trying this first and if it fails then try the homebrew emus.

I've had button stick issues with RA and having to manually set the resolution everytime is tiring.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I don't use cheats often(Besides for some fun stuff like accessing Hidden Palace on Sonic 2 Final), so if I need them, I can use the GX emulators.

Yeah, I know about the frameskipping issue with most Wii emulators, also do you know why the GX emulators stopped being updated? (I was a bit out of the Wii Scene for a while, I just want to know).

Also the poll is funny, 3 votes to RetroArch Alone and 3 votes to RetroArch+Others. :P

Tantric/Dborth just stopped working on them, claiming that they're as good as they're gonna get, or so I've heard, I could be completely wrong, but you might be able to contact him via gmail, as that's what he uses, whether he responds is another story. Snes9x Next, Nestopia, GBA on RetroArch are quite superior emulation and stability-wise and are more up to date, so aside from cheat code features, there's no real comparison in terms of emulation and speed.

I've done many wad injections for my favorite games and they all work as far as I've played them and these wads "just" work, all I have to do is launch them. That's why I would suggest trying this first and if it fails then try the homebrew emus.

I've had button stick issues with RA and having to manually set the resolution everytime is tiring.

Have you tried the most recent version by chance (1.0.2)? The button issues have been resolved I believe. My beef with the GX emulators is the tinny sound glitch that's caused by a libogc limitation, happens when you open/close the menu. RetroArch has no such issues nor does it get code dumps as frequently.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte