Homebrew RetroArch vs. other emulators?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys think retroarch is the best for every emulator? I made a threat but nobody have reply :(

It depends on your preferences; as far as speed and stability goes, yes, they are superior, esp. the Snes aspect and mGBA core. GBA emulation is the fastest ever seen on the Wii.

deblon23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It depends on your preferences; as far as speed and stability goes, yes, they are superior, esp. the Snes aspect and mGBA core. GBA emulation is the fastest ever seen on the Wii.
Cool I guest I'm gonna use retroarch for everything and use an app on my android for my covers fix :)

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you can possibly look into something called Postloader I believe. If I am not mistaken I saw some Sega CD channels floating around that just direct it to the game. This way you kind of would get covers and functionality. I am not sure if it is possible to set up a channel with retroarch but I will look into it. If anyone knows please respond, thanks!

I tried Genesis Plus GX 1.7.5 and I think I will take your words on it that its better to run it here than VC...it looks and seems to play amazing.

I am using the stand alone version. As for 240p...under video option I know there is interlaced, progressive and a option for normal/original. I assume leave it at original and it defaults to 240p? I do need to scoop a Genesis adapter for the controller if anyone has any recommendations on the side for the best one to use an original controller with no lag. Thanks again!

Edit* As for video options...would it be correct to set Trap, deflickering and bilinear filtering to off? I just want to make sure the video options are all correct. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by CobraStr1ke,

deblon23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe you can possibly look into something called Postloader I believe. If I am not mistaken I saw some Sega CD channels floating around that just direct it to the game. This way you kind of would get covers and functionality. I am not sure if it is possible to set up a channel with retroarch but I will look into it. If anyone knows please respond, thanks!
I know what postloaded is but Idk if it can use retroarch cores and I do have a retroarch channel.
And here is the channel for retroarch just search for it https://gbatemp.net/threads/forwarders-are-back.340226/

sindrik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok awesome ^ Thank you for that. I did read all about the M2 team who is responsible for the genesis emulators etc and that those are not as great but did not know why. I will check them out in a bit! ( =

Now standalone or core, or are they the same performance wise?
Nothing beats standalone GenesisPlus GX, nothing. Full useful GUI, real 240p support, and all games run perfect in all of the emulated Sega consoles.

Do you guys think retroarch is the best for every emulator? I made a threat but nobody have reply :(

Not for now. Many bugs between updates and video configuration is specially tricky when you want maximum pixel quality on CRT and PVM

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing beats standalone GenesisPlus GX, nothing. Full useful GUI, real 240p support, and all games run perfect in all of the emulated Sega consoles.

Not for now. Many bugs between updates and video configuration is specially tricky when you want maximum pixel quality on CRT and PVM

For Snes and GBA, it is with Snes9x Next and mGBA, not to mention the Nestopia core.

deblon23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having trouble with the mgba core, I have download the 1.2.2 retroarch and the core its not there same for the 1.0.4 ver. I download a random mgba core somewhere but I'm not sure its the latest or stable.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cool I guest I'm gonna use retroarch for everything and use an app on my android for my covers fix :)
If you want covers 'in retroarch' then use Wiiflow (get the Masterpiece pack) and use the Retroarch plugins (there's also plugins for most standalone emulators by the way), then grab all the covers you like from mastershoes' excellent collection (it's one of the stickies on this very page!) - you'll need to put a bit of work into getting them configured (a bulk renamer will help) but it's worth it - in my opinion better than postloader. ;)

Reactions: CobraStr1ke

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want covers 'in retroarch' then use Wiiflow (get the Masterpiece pack) and use the Retroarch plugins (there's also plugins for most standalone emulators by the way), then grab all the covers you like from mastershoes' excellent collection (it's one of the stickies on this very page!) - you'll need to put a bit of work into getting them configured (a bulk renamer will help) but it's worth it - in my opinion better than postloader. ;)

Thank you for this info! I will try and set it up in a bit and am sure it will be a nice touch!

One question...would you recommend 2d boxart or 3d for Wiiflow? Thanks again

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for this info! I will try and set it up in a bit and am sure it will be a nice touch!

One question...would you recommend 2d boxart or 3d for Wiiflow? Thanks again
Definitely the 3D (on the first post) for Wiiflow, your rom selection will look like your Wii games do on a loader that way.

Reactions: CobraStr1ke

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome and good looking out! I'll try and follow a guide and will start with NES.

mightymuffy is there any chance you would know where to find a detailed guide. I followed one from here http://www.wiihacks.com/showthread.php?t=108956 and installed WiiFlow plus the plugins...after that there I saw it created the folder on my sd card with ini's and cores from retroarch etc...except I do not see a NES core in there...there is no mention if I need to have my roms in a certain folder and I am just trying to use it for emulators and not actual wii games. Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by CobraStr1ke,
Reactions: mightymuffy

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@zerofalcon Can you please upload the RA mgba core, so that i can test it? Also, will it work with RA 1.0.2 or does it require RA 1.2 (which is a PITA to set up with constant controller problems on my part, unlike 1.0.2) ?

Thanks!

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mightymuffy, thanks for the pm and help. I got NES up with no issues at all last night in about 30 seconds...I realized that Wiiflow is kind of in a sense acting as Hyperspin, like a front end for the emulators etc...just need to have the paths etc set up correctly. It is new to me that you can have emulators running with covers through Wiiflow. I used to originally use it for Wii backups only as many people did.

I could not get Genesis covers to display last night...but will try and see what the issue is. If anyone here is using WiiFlow_v4.2.3_Nintendont_MasterMod_Pack_Full and has Genesis COVERS up and running and could possibly help me that would be very much appreciated!

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Speaking of RetroArch 1.2.2, there's a very weird issue I have with v-sync (I believe). Every now and then, I get a slight fps dip, not enough to effect sounds, but on Snes9x, mGBA, Genesis Plus GX, I see slowdown for a couple of seconds and have it pick up. A good way to test it is in a fast-paced game like Sonic, which uses a lot of strobe effects that flicker at 60 fps; normally, this is perfectly locked at 60 fps, but every now and then, it isn't smooth. 1.0.0.2 never had this issue.
Change the "audio_rate_out" from 48000 to 32000, edit this setting in the file named "snes9x_next_libretro_wii.dol.cfg" inside "retroarch" folder, this will fix snes emulation stuttering.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@zerofalcon Can you please upload the RA mgba core, so that i can test it? Also, will it work with RA 1.0.2 or does it require RA 1.2 (which is a PITA to set up with constant controller problems on my part, unlike 1.0.2) ?

Thanks!
http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3881&p=27600&viewfull=1#post27600

It was compiled with RGUI 1.2.2 but it works excellent, you can test it with only the boot.dol file from the RA 1.2.2, just be careful with your "retroarch" folder if you already have 1.0.0.2 configured.

Last edited by zerofalcon,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Change the "audio_rate_out" from 48000 to 32000, edit this setting in the file named "snes9x_next_libretro_wii.dol.cfg" inside "retroarch" folder, this will fix snes emulation stuttering.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It was compiled with RGUI 1.2.2 but it works excellent, you can test it with only the boot.dol file from the RA 1.2.2, just be careful with your "retroarch" folder if you already have 1.0.0.2 configured.

Actually it happens in Genesis Plus as well, not just Snes9x Next, as the same cores in 1.0.0.2 do not have these framerate issues, something in 1.2.2 causes this issue, I know because I rolled back. Really, there's nothing compelling me to stay with 1.2.2. That, and the whole quick menu feature made it more confusing to get to the content selection, I missed only having to press Home and then to Load Content instead of going through the Quick Menu.

Made a thread on the Libretro forums, pretty sure they won't take it seriously though.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually it happens in Genesis Plus as well, not just Snes9x Next, as the same cores in 1.0.0.2 do not have these framerate issues, something in 1.2.2 causes this issue, I know because I rolled back. Really, there's nothing compelling me to stay with 1.2.2. That, and the whole quick menu feature made it more confusing to get to the content selection, I missed only having to press Home and then to Load Content instead of going through the Quick Menu.

Made a thread on the Libretro forums, pretty sure they won't take it seriously though.

I did a test and replicated the same issue, it seems 16 bit emulators went down in performance with 1.2.2, I dont know exactly why and since when. I guess for these emulators it's better to remain with RA 1.0.0.2.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a test and replicated the same issue, it seems 16 bit emulators went down in performance with 1.2.2, I dont know exactly why and since when. I guess for these emulators it's better to remain with RA 1.0.0.2.

Oh good, so it wasn't just me, I even ran the FPS counter and did see when they dipped, definitely worse performance for some odd reason; I tried to make a thread (a lot of good that did me), I would make a GitHub report entry, but I can't even find one for that. Does a repository even still exist for the Wii port? If so, I can try to report it there; and I still see the 32 MB ROM issue hasn't been resolved with the mGBA core. I guess it's one helluva trick issue, heh. I tried to speak to Twinaphex (I think that's his name), he got all uppity because I had the balls to ask him, oh noes. :rolleyes:

Edit: @zerofalcon Twinaphex replied on my GitHub and suggested I compile it from source....there are nightly builds, but I assume he means the main boot.dol file? AFAIK, there are no compiling guids for the Wii that I can find.

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/2164

Last edited by the_randomizer,

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Thank you for this, much appreciated.
I tested it on another SD card i have for testing purposes (didn't want to interfere with my RA 1.0.2. setup) and it indeed runs very good. The 32 MB roms don't work however, as mentioned above, maybe if a mGBA core was made for RA 1.0.2. which has a smaller boot.dol would leave enough RAM free to load the 32MB roms?
Also, there's a tool called gbata that trims gba roms, i use that to reduce the size of my gba roms.

Last edited by nakata6790,

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for this, much appreciated.
I tested it on another SD card i have for testing purposes (didn't want to interfere with my RA 1.0.2. setup) and it indeed runs very good. The 32 MB roms don't work however, as mentioned above, maybe if a mGBA core was made for RA 1.0.2. which has a smaller boot.dol would leave enough RAM free to load the 32MB roms?
Also, there's a tool called gbata that trims gba roms, i use that to reduce the size of my gba roms.

Weeks ago I changed a lines of code in the mGBA libretro source, I managed to load 32 mb roms but unfortunately it's very unstable and buggy (16 mb and even lower roms in size are not working, but 32 mb at least worked. I tested Mother 3 and a dragon ball gt gba video). I need to fix those issues.

skarmachild

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im installing Retroarch on my Wii, got it working on Android before so shouldnt be too hard.

What I am looking for is an emulator on the Wii that can handle system link GB/GBC/GBA games (any system) for multiplayer on the same screen, can anything on the wii do that yet?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.