Homebrew RetroArch vs. other emulators?

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the response. I was looking on the list for something like 320x240p etc. I appreciate it and will check it out soon.

I also got the 1.0.0.2 core for snes I believe it is...as that was recommended on several forums as well as here. I guess the rollback on that core is better than the update? this was mainly for Yoshis Island I guess...I could hook up my rgb modded snes with Yoshis Island and check but figured I would take it from people who already know.

I am using a Sony PVM and noticed the results on VC games , injects etc seem to look and play incredible for Genesis that I tested so far. You think retroarchs latest core is really better for Genesis as that is what I have actually been told and read...Just trying to get the most accurate and best emus/methods set up for 240p 8 and 16 bit. Thanks again!

Last edited by CobraStr1ke,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the response. I was looking on the list for something like 320x240p etc. I appreciate it and will check it out soon.

I also got the 1.0.0.2 core for snes I believe it is...as that was recommended on several forums as well as here. I guess the rollback on that core is better than the update? this was mainly for Yoshis Island I guess...I could hook up my rgb modded snes with Yoshis Island and check but figured I would take it from people who already know.

I am using a Sony PVM and noticed the results on VC games , injects etc seem to look and play incredible for Genesis that I tested so far. You think retroarchs latest core is really better for Genesis as that is what I have actually been told and read...Just trying to get the most accurate and best emus/methods set up for 240p 8 and 16 bit. Thanks again!

Genesis Plus is actually more accurate than the VC emulator for Genesis, it has better YM2612 emulation (audio).

Reactions: CobraStr1ke

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok awesome ^ Thank you for that. I did read all about the M2 team who is responsible for the genesis emulators etc and that those are not as great but did not know why. I will check them out in a bit! ( =

Now standalone or core, or are they the same performance wise?

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I switched to retroarch for a long while already :)

It runs nicely for almost everything :P

Except, in 1.2.2, the vsync/smooth scrolling seems more broken than it was in 1.0.0.2 IDK why :P The framerate has really weird random dips every so often, even in Genesis Plus and other non-demanding emulators; the previous version never had that, I'm gonna have to roll back ><

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Except, in 1.2.2, the vsync/smooth scrolling seems more broken than it was in 1.0.0.2 IDK why :P The framerate has really weird random dips every so often, even in Genesis Plus and other non-demanding emulators; the previous version never had that, I'm gonna have to roll back ><
I don't know. I still am at 1.1 something. :P

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I switched to retroarch for a long while already :)

It runs nicely for almost everything :P

I have used it for years as well but I wanted to go the injection route for the look etc...after I loaded a NES game I was absolutely disgusted at how dark it looked. Recently made a topic about it... I knew I read there was a color difference a while ago but I did not realize it was that bad. After loading Nestopia in Retroarch I instantly saw the brightness levels come back off my crt.

As for retroarch I will def check it out tonight and possibly ditch the custom VC route I was taking with making all my games for the channels.

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deblon23, it is why I used the VC injection route but I would rather sacrifice the looks for performance. This is especially true for me if I just look at the GUI for two seconds and launch something anyways. This is true for me at least ( =

Last edited by CobraStr1ke,

deblon23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
[/QUOTE] Not gonna happen, the UI uses every resource the Wii has, and it only has 64 MB to work with, if that.[/QUOTE]
Hmm ok thanks but went are they gonna port the new 1.2 UI you know the one that look like the ps3 or is that to much to?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm ok thanks but went are they gonna port the new 1.2 UI you know the one that look like the ps3 or is that to much to?

Wii can't handle that, it's too resource-intensive. If they ever port it over to the Wii U, then yes, as it has around 16 times the memory the Wii had.

hnnnng, can't wait for a WiiU version.
If it even happens or people decide to port it, which they can already apparently, just there's no current way to run emulators on the Wii U OS yet.

Edit: I need to roll back to 1.0.0.2, the screen tearing issue (er, dropped frames more like), issue is driving me crazy, older versions never had it.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Wii can't handle that, it's too resource-intensive. If they ever port it over to the Wii U, then yes, as it has around 16 times the memory the Wii had.
hnnnng, can't wait for a WiiU version.

Reactions: the_randomizer

deblon23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

If it even happens or people decide to port it, which they can already apparently, just there's no current way to run emulators on the Wii U OS yet.
Ok thanks for the replys

Last edited by deblon23,

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing about the Wii U version is that apparently it cant do 240p which would suck. If it could, I would see it becoming a little holy grail for retro game.

I saw several people mention that it does not have the capability to do it even on the Wii side of it.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One question about the Wii U version is that apparently it cant do 240p which would suck. If it could, I would see it becoming a little holy grail for retro game.

I don't know for sure, your best bet would be 480i, but you can try 512 x 224 (I think that's the one mentioned).

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
One thing about the Wii U version is that apparently it cant do 240p which would suck. If it could, I would see it becoming a little holy grail for retro game.

I saw several people mention that it does not have the capability to do it even on the Wii side of it.
well for 240p go with vwii, and crt tv, with th wii cable :yay:

CobraStr1ke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I may have worded that wrong. I was saying as far as the Wii U...with all the progress and if/when we do see emulators...apparently they will never be able to do 240p.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

well for 240p go with vwii, and crt tv, with th wii cable :yay:

This is the set up I currently have with a Sony 21 and 14 inch PVM. I was just saying as for the Wii U, I keep reading it is not capable of outputting 240p for some reason according to several posts made. So even if emulators do hit it, they unfortunately wont do 240p apparently. Kind of like the original Xbox.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free