Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Mostly wanted to play megaman battle network games. Last I checked 3 months ago, it ran near full speed, but had random stuttering every 5 seconds.
strange. I've played and finished MMBN6 (after all other 5 games) few months ago without problems.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow and came across some freezes when there are a lot of flames in a death animation of enemies (Flame Demon is one). This seems to be a problem that isn't specific to the Vita and both GBA cores have this bug.

The solution is to use the GBA BIOS. Name it gba_bios.bin and put it in /data/retroarch/system . Also make sure the core settings have the option to use the BIOS turned on.

Update: I made it to the good ending but it crashes out of retroarch on the cutscene in both GBA cores. It is a known bug that is cross-platform and it has been worked on from what I have read (gets further through the cutscene before it crashes). So, just a heads up that you will need to enter some cheats to unlock boss rush, Julius and hard modes and can never get a shiny 100% by your save.

Last edited by cracker,
Reactions: MUDD_BR

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Has anybody gotten any luck with Mame 2003 core?

This core is now crashing with every game for me.

I tried the latest nightly and last stable on my VitaTV and Vita.

Other cores work well.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Has anybody gotten any luck with Mame 2003 core?

This core is now crashing with every game for me.

I tried the latest nightly and last stable on my VitaTV and Vita.

Other cores work well.

Stable is working OK here for simpsons arcade and a few others, mame2003 (0.78) romset.

https://i.imgur.com/MOqroLi.jpg

Last edited by Count Duckula,

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I can start 1942.zip, but Simpsons crashes on my Vita when I try to load it (mame 2003 0.78 romset, used to work fine in older Retroarch).

I tried the stable 1.6.9, both the version from retroarch.co and the version from the stable branch in the buildbot.

Something must be weird on my system. Also the default font in my retroarch xmb menu is now a really large pixelated font. It used to be a nice-looking, smaller font. I can select the nicer font manually in the appearance options... no clue why the default is now this ugly one it seems like a bug.

Retroarch is strange, I hardly ever get to play it because every time I fire it up I experience all kinds of bugs and crashes, and then I just try to find workarounds. Like that trick of not loading a core, but only loading content. It seems like the basic functionality is not even stable. Or maybe the developers' definition of "stable" is just not what I think of when I read the word.

Last edited by rsn8887,
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's come a long way since I first started using it and I'm not sure how many people other than Frangarcj are working on the vita port, so I try to go easy on any shortcomings and appreciate what it does well :)

The UI is certainly not as nice as PFBA but RA lets me run a lot of systems that FBA isn't optimal for. It's a shame there aren't more console-specific emulators like there were on PSP but you're doing a lot more than me in that regards (cheers btw) so I have no right to complain.
Most issues I've encountered have been with the UI (scanning is very hit or miss, easier to just load content, choose a ROM then a core as you say) or arcade cores. Console emulation for megadrive etc has always worked well for me once set up.

Probably best to wipe everything and install the stable/copy the data retroarch_data contents fresh. I set 1.6.9 stable up fresh after moving to an sd2vita and touch wood havnt had any major issues.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I decided to try 1.6.9 stable just to look for any changes and installed the vpk over 1.6.0 - worked fine except the xmb menus looked a little bit messed up. Some of it anyways.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I decided to try 1.6.9 stable just to look for any changes and installed the vpk over 1.6.0 - worked fine except the xmb menus looked a little bit messed up. Some of it anyways.
Did you copy the retroarch folder from the RetroArch_data.7z to UX0:data as well as installing the vpk?

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No but that's not specified on the retroarch download section either is it? But it's needed to overwrite the old settings?

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
No but that's not specified on the retroarch download section either is it? But it's needed to overwrite the old settings?

The 'installation instructions' link just reloads to the top of the page for me in both chrome and FF.

I'm not sure what is best when upgrading to 1.6.9, just that I had issues with a clean RA install until I copied the files as well as installing the vpk (https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroar...ghtlies-included.437034/page-177#post-7711039).
If you're having problems, especially with the RA UI, it seems like a good start :)

Last edited by Count Duckula,
Reactions: cvskid

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just merged the data folder with the old. It's fine for the most but there are a few menus with long names where the on and off text or other choice text sits on top of other lines. You've got nothing like that?

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I just merged the data folder with the old. It's fine for the most but there are a few menus with long names where the on and off text or other choice text sits on top of other lines. You've got nothing like that?

I can notice some minor things like the heading 'vertical sync (vsync) swap interval' in settings | video overlaps the value displayed a bit, but nothing that prevented me from using a setting or really enough to even think twice about it tbh.

rsn8887

Trophies
Website
www.patreon.com
XP
Country
United States
I found a fix for that “text overlaps options” problem. You can go to Settings->User Interface->Appearance->Menu Font and select ux0:/Data/Retroarch/assets/glui/font.ttf.

This will give you a font with no overlaps. I think it looks nicer, too but that’s just my taste.

Reactions: Count Duckula

Will88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there something wrong with turbo cd now as well as psx? Can't get the games to run on the new retroarch build at all.

Bajdo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I have 1.7.0 and playing SNES games. Most games running 60fps/near 60fps and are playing fine using 2005 core. However, Final Fantasy III does not run fine. Especially music is buggy. Any suggestions on settings to make this game run better?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr