Hacking Emulation RetroArch/Libretro Thread: PS Vita Edition! Nightlies Included

Dochartaigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome.
If you look further back in the thread somebody made a PC EXE util to do the scanning.
Now we have USB you may be able to do it directly off the vita rather than a folder on the PC.

That's a great idea. I might have to start another topic to make that happen though - I could never get MAME working on RetroArch on my Mac (I could run games individually, but they would never be scanned correctly). I'm also installing RetroArch on my work PC right now to see if that will recognize and add my mame2003/0.78 ROMs. I'll report back.

And I guess this is a known problem on the Vita? There's no way it's that slow just because of the Vita's processor. My single core Raspberry Pi Zero (the $5 computer) scrapes ROMs faster than the Vita...

Last edited by Dochartaigh,

ma16v3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
01-18-17 release corrupted itself on exit within the application. Spent some time in PCSX ReArmed and got really good performance out of Star Ocean 2, however after reloading RA, the application was corrupted and would no longer run. I installed the vpk again, still crashes at runtime. Reset the system, reloaded HENkaku, and it crashed instantly again. Deleting from the Live Area and reinstalling seems to work right now. Hopefully that was just a one-off hiccup and not a major issue with the latest release.

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
That's a great idea. I might have to start another topic to make that happen though - I could never get MAME working on RetroArch on my Mac (I could run games individually, but they would never be scanned correctly). I'm also installing RetroArch on my work PC right now to see if that will recognize and add my mame2003/0.78 ROMs. I'll report back.

And I guess this is a known problem on the Vita? There's no way it's that slow just because of the Vita's processor. My single core Raspberry Pi Zero (the $5 computer) scrapes ROMs faster than the Vita...

The zip/unzip process on Vitshell takes ages so I guess that retroarch has a similiar problem.
Due to Mame games all being zips with multi files must be the issue with the scanning.

Why retroarch has to verify the games we add is beyond me.
It would be much easier to just catalogue files in directories and allow the user to delete or add them in the list.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
N64 is 2fps with sound
This is strange. If psp can handle N64 games close to full speed (depends by games) - yes, without sound - but psvita is much more powerful than psp.

Anyway can i ask you about pcsx before i hope for nothing? I wanna know if is possible, sooner or later, to have a fully implemented savestate features that instant save and load without crashing (like VBA or the others older cores).
The first pcsx release, save and load take around 3-5 secs (is very good anyway) but many times game crashes (and the game stop during save and load, instead to continue and be laggy, like the latest nightly <- is possible to remove this? The game stopped during savestate is better)
That's all, in other words: we can have a perfect savestate features for pcsx or vita can't handle it?

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah it's a bit pointless at the moment.

Good to hear they are getting up and running.

Also that Frangarcj is back on the case.

I would be interested in the Medafen Pc engoine super GFX version being added. I realize its just for four games but .....

Reactions: pauloedsonjk

Dochartaigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The zip/unzip process on Vitshell takes ages so I guess that retroarch has a similiar problem.
Due to Mame games all being zips with multi files must be the issue with the scanning.

Why retroarch has to verify the games we add is beyond me.
It would be much easier to just catalogue files in directories and allow the user to delete or add them in the list.

I think I actually might have found a solution for RetroArch's problem of scanning MAME. I *think* (not positive quite yet) that RetroArch's MAME/Arcade scanner only recognizes merged romsets. Most of us (like me) coming from RetroPie use non-merged sets. I pulled 5 or 10 random merged roms and had RetroArch scann them and low and behold all of them showed up...I only have clrmamePro at work (only have Mac's at home) and it's building a merged set from my non-merged set right now so I can test further.

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
I think I actually might have found a solution for RetroArch's problem of scanning MAME. I *think* (not positive quite yet) that RetroArch's MAME/Arcade scanner only recognizes merged romsets. Most of us (like me) coming from RetroPie use non-merged sets. I pulled 5 or 10 random merged roms and had RetroArch scann them and low and behold all of them showed up...I only have clrmamePro at work (only have Mac's at home) and it's building a merged set from my non-merged set right now so I can test further.

Ah yes I can see that being an issue.
I'm still guessing retroarch still takes forever.
I have problems setting clrmame pro up.
If you have noob instructions do do this that would be a great help.

Dochartaigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes I can see that being an issue.
I'm still guessing retroarch still takes forever.
I have problems setting clrmame pro up.
If you have noob instructions do do this that would be a great help.

I still totally suck at clrmamePro. It really has zero intuitiveness. Here's the directions I used to ADD a romset to it so you can verify it's contents (and fix some minor issues with it if they exist). The bottom of that also shows you how to Rebuild the romset (i.e. change non-merged to merged so RetroArch -hopefully- can scan them). Takes a couple hours.

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
I still totally suck at clrmamePro. It really has zero intuitiveness. Here's the directions I used to ADD a romset to it so you can verify it's contents (and fix some minor issues with it if they exist). The bottom of that also shows you how to Rebuild the romset (i.e. change non-merged to merged so RetroArch -hopefully- can scan them). Takes a couple hours.

I'm sure I have a .38 set I will check

I'm gong to have a look at that EXE to see if that works.

Dochartaigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the full romsets (like all I've ever downloaded) come with the .exe which clrmamePro uses in it's process (think I also used the .DAT file for the ROMs at one point to but I honestly forget).

Dochartaigh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I'm quoting myself ;) My hypothesis is incorrect - none of my merged sets (tried 0.78 and .0175) will be scanned either beyond 5 or 10 roms...seems like scanning arcade roms on a PC, a Mac, and the Vita is completely bricked.

If anybody is having this same issue, and would like to add to the GitHub issue I just created PLEASE chime in there so they know this is effecting more than just me.

Last edited by Dochartaigh,
Reactions: SuperDan

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I'm quoting myself ;) My hypothesis is incorrect - none of my merged sets (tried 0.78 and .0175) will be scanned either beyond 5 or 10 roms...seems like scanning arcade roms on a PC, a Mac, and the Vita is completely bricked.

If anybody is having this same issue, and would like to add to the GitHub issue I just created PLEASE chime in there so they know this is effecting more than just me.
Im on it .. !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more