Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know when they were put there, but in 1.6.7's old (not xmb) menu, three options (Favorites/Music/History I think they were) are placed on top of "Start Directory" when choosing a game. For me, it's quite annoying, so I switched back to 1.4.1, since that seems to be the best one right now. That or 1.3.3.

1. Does anyone know any major performance differences between versions 1.3.3, 1.4.1, and 1.6.7 for these cores?

FBAlpha Neo Geo
Picodrive
Gambatte

2. Files for Neo Geo games are created on the root of the SD card. What setting, if any, changes that? I can't seem to find it.

Reactions: SaffronXL

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know when they were put there, but in 1.6.7's old (not xmb) menu, three options (Favorites/Music/History I think they were) are placed on top of "Start Directory" when choosing a game. For me, it's quite annoying, so I switched back to 1.4.1, since that seems to be the best one right now. That or 1.3.3.

1. Does anyone know any major performance differences between versions 1.3.3, 1.4.1, and 1.6.7 for these cores?

FBAlpha Neo Geo
Picodrive
Gambatte

2. Files for Neo Geo games are created on the root of the SD card. What setting, if any, changes that? I can't seem to find it.
I believe it's actually 1.3.6.

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know how to get FBA .ini Cheats to .cht Files? They will work for all the other Systems on the 3DS and Vita Builds, but the only ones that dont run are the CPS1/CPS2/FBA Cores. I tried Renaming the File, but that did not work.
How the Cheats look in the .cht Files are shown in the Attached Image.
RA Cheat Format.jpg
But when you Paste them here....
cheats = 9

cheat0_desc = "Infinite Countdown Timer"
cheat0_code = "800972DE+0063"
cheat0_enable = false

cheat1_desc = "Stop Track Timer"
cheat1_code = "800972E2+0000"
cheat1_enable = false

cheat2_desc = "Infinite Boost (On Pickup)"
cheat2_code = "80050B86+2400"
cheat2_enable = false

cheat3_desc = "Always First Place"
cheat3_code = "8009DD58+0001"
cheat3_enable = false

cheat4_desc = "Unlock All Tracks & Boats (Cheat Device 2.2 Or Higher Needed!)"
cheat4_code = "50000602+0000+800A223C+0000+300A2248+0000"
cheat4_enable = false

cheat5_desc = "Max Cash"
cheat5_code = "800966B4+FFFF"
cheat5_enable = false

cheat6_desc = "Unlock Medium Boats & Levels"
cheat6_code = "300A2245+0000+300A223D+0000+300A2240+0000"
cheat6_enable = false

cheat7_desc = "Unlock Hard Boats & Levels"
cheat7_code = "300A2243+0000+300A223F+0000+300A2244+0000"
cheat7_enable = false

cheat8_desc = "Unlock Bonus Levels & Boats"
cheat8_code = "300A223C+0000+300A223E+0000+300A2242+0000+300A2241+0000+300A2247+0000+300A2248+0000+300A2246+0000"
cheat8_enable = false

xianx_mf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Alright, let me correct myself, Nobody is maintaining the ports of the cores for the 3ds.

Your assumptions are a bit off there. The beauty of retroarch (libretro, actually) is that the cores aren't ported. They use the same codebase for all releases of the same core. That is to say, the nestopia core that runs on the 3ds is compiled from exactly the same code as the nestopia core for the wii or pc releases. They are using different compilers, and a select few of them use architecture-specific assembly files for increased performance (like picodrive for arm devices and genesis-plus-gx for ppc), but that's it for the cores. That's why there were releases before any retroarch dev had a 3ds.

Optimization at the C-code level would benefit performance of all releases, but it's easy to find for oneself that introducing performance-oriented changes in existing emulator code is prone to introduce bugs/regressions, and overall is a very hard task. The original developers were already thinking about performance when designing and writing the emulator, and many of them are quite competent to begin with.

The 3ds isn't a very powerful machine, by today's standards... it's still the best of it's kind, by a mile, and there's more than enough great games it'll play (including the ds and 3ds library). FBAlpha2012 runs great, which is very welcome, as does picodrive, nestopia, gambatte, and mednafen-pce-fast. Genesis-plus-gx is close, but there's a bug in vsync still lingering somewhere...

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much of the speed problem with Sega CD and PS1 emulation is related to having to reading files from the disc (And, is there a way for that to be improved)? After turning off the Vsync/Async settings, I'm getting to around 14-40 fps (Depending on what's being displayed) for PS1 emulation (PCSX ReARMed) and 40-50 fps on Sega CD emulation (Picodrive). However, when the game wasn't loading content from the disc, it's playing at full speed or (At most) double it's usual speed. This is on the O3DS, by the way.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Your assumptions are a bit off there. The beauty of retroarch (libretro, actually) is that the cores aren't ported. They use the same codebase for all releases of the same core. That is to say, the nestopia core that runs on the 3ds is compiled from exactly the same code as the nestopia core for the wii or pc releases. They are using different compilers, and a select few of them use architecture-specific assembly files for increased performance (like picodrive for arm devices and genesis-plus-gx for ppc), but that's it for the cores. That's why there were releases before any retroarch dev had a 3ds.

Optimization at the C-code level would benefit performance of all releases, but it's easy to find for oneself that introducing performance-oriented changes in existing emulator code is prone to introduce bugs/regressions, and overall is a very hard task. The original developers were already thinking about performance when designing and writing the emulator, and many of them are quite competent to begin with.

The 3ds isn't a very powerful machine, by today's standards... it's still the best of it's kind, by a mile, and there's more than enough great games it'll play (including the ds and 3ds library). FBAlpha2012 runs great, which is very welcome, as does picodrive, nestopia, gambatte, and mednafen-pce-fast. Genesis-plus-gx is close, but there's a bug in vsync still lingering somewhere...

i guess the problem is that the 3ds, being weaker than say, current phones, pcs and modern consoles, does require a bit of additional attention to actually improve emulation performance, but no one really wants to or can look into that. so other than the occasional 'at least now its running again', retroarch doesn't seem to have improved on the 3ds at all. since way back when on 1.3

and i understand it, its much easier to improve and add new stuff to retroarch when you have more power to work with every few months. but those improvements often only help to make the 3ds port worse.
like the much less compact gui overhaul which is clearly meant for high resolution screens.
and every other update introduces menu options you can enter on 3ds, but which trap you with no way out, forcing you to reset your system.

then theres the eternal gripe with gpsp. any other system would solve gba emulation by throwing a stronger cpu/gpu at it, 3ds needs dynamic recompiling (or frameskipping i guess) and plays the entire gba library perfectly with it. only there's probably just a tiny error or 3ds incompatible function in that compiler causing extremely random crashes, making it impossible to play most any game without savestating every other minute.

maybe we'll need to organize a bounty to improve stuff on 3ds...

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
i guess the problem is that the 3ds, being weaker than say, current phones, pcs and modern consoles, does require a bit of additional attention to actually improve emulation performance, but no one really wants to or can look into that. so other than the occasional 'at least now its running again', retroarch doesn't seem to have improved on the 3ds at all. since way back when on 1.3

and i understand it, its much easier to improve and add new stuff to retroarch when you have more power to work with every few months. but those improvements often only help to make the 3ds port worse.
like the much less compact gui overhaul which is clearly meant for high resolution screens.
and every other update introduces menu options you can enter on 3ds, but which trap you with no way out, forcing you to reset your system.

then theres the eternal gripe with gpsp. any other system would solve gba emulation by throwing a stronger cpu/gpu at it, 3ds needs dynamic recompiling (or frameskipping i guess) and plays the entire gba library perfectly with it. only there's probably just a tiny error or 3ds incompatible function in that compiler causing extremely random crashes, making it impossible to play most any game without savestating every other minute.

maybe we'll need to organize a bounty to improve stuff on 3ds...

I agree with you, I still remember when people said that snes emulation couldn't be improved on the O3ds until bubble2k16 came out of nowhere. Our problem is that there are no devs willing to work on optimizations for retroarch on 3ds sadly.

Last edited by AtlasFontaine,

zwq939681378

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I agree with you, I still remember when people said that snes emulation couldn't be improved on the O3ds until bubble2k16 came out of nowhere. Our problem is that there are no devs willing to work on optimizations for retroarch on 3ds sadly.
You can try the Snes9X for O3ds,it is the best SNES emulator on O3ds.

zwq939681378

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
To pcsx-rearmed, using PBP format games is better. I tried the Rockman X4 and I got 40-50fps at most when using CUE format game. But I could get almost 60 fps with frameskip 1 and audio sync off when I use PBP format game.

Reactions: MrHuu

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To pcsx-rearmed, using PBP format games is better. I tried the Rockman X4 and I got 40-50fps at most when using CUE format game. But I could get almost 60 fps with frameskip 1 and audio sync off when I use PBP format game.

I can confirm that converting the files to PBP and turning on frameskip has increased the game speed, but it's not by much (About 2-5 fps). Though, files like the videos have doubled in speed. So far, the best running game I've tested has been Viewpoint and the worst running one is Forsaken.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I can confirm that converting the files to PBP and turning on frameskip has increased the game speed, but it's not by much (About 2-5 fps). Though, files like the videos have doubled in speed. So far, the best running game I've tested has been Viewpoint and the worst running one is Forsaken.
PBP?
What's that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1