Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Connorsdad

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if this is the right place to put this or not but I really don't know what else to do. I've been troubleshooting and scouring the internet for practically days now and I still cannot get RetroArch to run ANY CPS3 games. I'm at my wits end, evident by my creating an account just to ask for help in my time of need, as I'm not usually a forum-going person. Anyways, here's a rundown of things I've tried.
-Several fresh installs of RetroArch
-Moving the ROM directory practically everywhere
-Trying out both the stable and nightly releases of RA
-Trying out both the .3dsx and .cia versions of each release
-Trying out both the latest stable/nightly release and several versions previous
-Disabling audio drivers/turning on mute
-Disabling V-Sync
-Re-Installing my Luma CFW twice
-Testing the cores and ROMs on a windows release of RA (And of course the ROMs load on the windows release each time, same core.)
-Trying ROMs of different romsets
-Trying different ROM regions
-Trying other cores to see if I have any issues (quicknes works fine, but gpsp doesn't work at all.
As for specs, I have an o3dsXL running Luma3DS v6.6, and system version 11.3.0-36U. Currently I'm using FBA2012 and trying to run Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Heritage for the Future and Street Fighter III: Third Strike. I would even be okay with being told I can't run the games on the o3ds because of hardware limitations or something.
Honestly, I'm out of options and I would greatly appreciate any kind of feedback.

Retroarch on 3ds doesn't support CPS3, only CPS1 and CPS2.

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So you're saying that it's impossible to play either of those two games on my 3ds?

I've compiled the CPS3 core. Not the greatest, i've got 'jojon.zip' jojo_asia_nocd running at ~45fps.

Compiled with FB Alpha v0.2.97.29, based on the MAME 0.149 romset.
Used the 'jojon.zip' and 'jojo.zip' from the v0.2.97.39 romset.

Set the controls to: Arcade

The CORE options provide a 'CPU Speed Overclock' function.
Set to 110% or 120% to get better results. Works pretty well for playability.

Games I've got running so far, only on New3DS:

Jojo's Venture (jojon.zip) ~45fps
Street Fighter III - New Generation (sfiii.zip) ~38fps
Red Earth (redearth.zip) ~42 fps

Attachments

• FBAlpha2012_CPS3_Libretro_CIA_18-02-2017.7z
    531.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited by MrHuu,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So you're saying that it's impossible to play either of those two games on my 3ds?
its not impossible, but i doubt that you'll ever get close to a 60fps emulation. at least not as long as frameskip remains unavailable on retroarch.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've compiled the CPS3 core. Not the greatest, i've got 'jojon.zip' jojo_asia_nocd running at ~45fps.

Compiled with FB Alpha v0.2.97.29, used the 'jojon.zip' and 'jojo.zip' from the v0.2.97.39 romset.
when you say that, are you talking about just the intro screen or actual gameplay?

because you can never be sure in this here thread where people assume gpsp runs fullspeed on o3ds when they never went past the title screen in any game they 'checked'

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
its not impossible, but i doubt that you'll ever get close to a 60fps emulation. at least not as long as frameskip remains unavailable on retroarch.

when you say that, are you talking about just the intro screen or actual gameplay?

because you can never be sure in this here thread where people assume gpsp runs fullspeed on o3ds when they never went past the title screen in any game they 'checked'

Actual gameplay. In menu it mostly runs at ~60fps, if not loading. On a New3DS!

kL7bGb7.png
nxoagce.png
9GzNh2z.png
Ou1Xnwc.png

Last edited by MrHuu,

Mr.Faq2015

/ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
After installing 1.4.1 retroarch_3ds.cia it displays a message saying that the sd card was removed...
Removed previous files before trying to launch it (removed retroarch folder, done even before installing the cia), left some standalone core cias installed (all messed up, some are from 1.3.3, other from 1.3.6, none from 1.4 onwards).
Console's an US o3ds with a9lh on 11.0.
If leaving previous cores installed doesn't affect retroarch_3ds (which it shouldn't as it doesn't really make any sense) then I have no idea at all of what's going on...
Does someone know if I'm missing something?

Last edited by Mr.Faq2015,

callingCujo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Compiled with FB Alpha v0.2.97.29, based on the MAME 0.149 romset.
Used the 'jojon.zip' and 'jojo.zip' from the v0.2.97.39 romset.

Set the controls to: Arcade

The CORE options provide a 'CPU Speed Overclock' function.
Set to 110% or 120% to get better results. Works pretty well for playability.

So is this the core and the game bundled into one? Or is it a core that was built specifically for playing jojon?
EDIT: I probably should have opened the zip before asking. I tried using the core with jojobaner (EU Release) and jojoba in the parent directory but it just crashed. Every time I've tried to use a CPSX (1, 2, whatever) core via .cia it never ends up working. I just tried using jojon.zip with the jojo parent rom and chd files (folder with same name as rom) and keep getting a freeze when retroarch tries to load a content history file? It looks like this
RetroArch [INFO] :: Loading history file : [sdmc:/retroarch/content_history.lpl].
I've consistently gotten this error and I'd really like to know what it means

I wasn't even concerned about emulation speed honestly, i just wanted to get the game running in the first place.

Last edited by callingCujo,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does anyone know why no inputs work for me except the circle pad? I can't even get past the menus and load a ROM.
sounds to me like you might have been playing around in the input menu and reassigned the A button badly.
delete the .cfg file from your sd (not sure if its on root or the retroarch folder)

afterward, it should work again

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So is this the core and the game bundled into one? Or is it a core that was built specifically for playing jojon?
EDIT: I probably should have opened the zip before asking. I tried using the core with jojobaner (EU Release) and jojoba in the parent directory but it just crashed. Every time I've tried to use a CPSX (1, 2, whatever) core via .cia it never ends up working. I just tried using jojon.zip with the jojo parent rom and chd files (folder with same name as rom) and keep getting a freeze when retroarch tries to load a content history file? It looks like this
RetroArch [INFO] :: Loading history file : [sdmc:/retroarch/content_history.lpl].
I've consistently gotten this error and I'd really like to know what it means

I wasn't even concerned about emulation speed honestly, i just wanted to get the game running in the first place.
There are no games bundled in this core. FBA doesn't use CHD's, as far as i understand.
FBA is compiled with an internal database, which checks for specific CRC's inside a .zip.

Code:
"jojo_asia_nocd.29f400.u2", 05b4f953
"jojo(__990128)-simm1.0",   9516948b
"jojo(__990128)-simm1.1",   a847848d
"jojo(__990128)-simm1.2",   853e8846
"jojo(__990128)-simm1.3",   c04fe00e
"jojo(__990128)-simm2.0",   e1a4b3c8
"jojo(__990128)-simm2.1",   189cef95
"jojo(__990128)-simm2.2",   47db5ec6
"jojo(__990128)-simm2.3",   e3d3a155
"jojo-simm3.0",             de7fc9c1
"jojo-simm3.1",             43d053d3
"jojo-simm3.2",             2ffd7fa5
"jojo-simm3.3",             4da4985b
"jojo-simm3.4",             fde98d72
"jojo-simm3.5",             edb2a266
"jojo-simm3.6",             be7cf319
"jojo-simm3.7",             56fe1a9f
"jojo-simm4.0",             c4e7bf68
"jojo-simm4.1",             b62b2719
"jojo-simm4.2",             18d15809
"jojo-simm4.3",             9af0ad79
"jojo-simm4.4",             4124c1f0
"jojo-simm4.5",             5e001fd1
"jojo-simm4.6",             9affa23b
"jojo-simm4.7",             2511572a
"jojo-simm5.0",             797615fc
"jojo-simm5.1",             734fd162
Code:
"jojo_usa.29f400.u2", 8d40f7be

I've taken these two files from the mame 0.149 romset. Jojon.zip is the only one which loads for me.
Others seem to crash. I'll try to catch some erros and maybe look into it.

The complete list of supported games and their CRC's can be found inside this file:
https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha/blob/master/src/burn/drv/cps3/d_cps3.cpp

After installing 1.4.1 retroarch_3ds.cia it displays a message saying that the sd card was removed...
Removed previous files before trying to launch it (removed retroarch folder, done even before installing the cia), left some standalone core cias installed (all messed up, some are from 1.3.3, other from 1.3.6, none from 1.4 onwards).
Console's an US o3ds with a9lh on 11.0.
If leaving previous cores installed doesn't affect retroarch_3ds (which it shouldn't as it doesn't really make any sense) then I have no idea at all of what's going on...
Does someone know if I'm missing something?

The 'retroarch_3ds.cia' is made for 1.4.0 and up. Loading an older core can mess with your settings, which can cause lot of errors.

Update each individual core if possible. The only thing the 'retroarch_3ds.cia' does is loading an other core.

Last edited by MrHuu,

Mr.Faq2015

/ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The 'rectroarch_3ds.cia' is made for 1.4.0 and up. Loading an older core can mess with your settings, which can cause lot of errors.

Update each individual core if possible. The only thing the 'retroarch_3ds.cia' does is loading an other core.

Can't even load a core though, I launch the cia and it displays that message... all cores should be updated as I downloaded them along with the 1.4.1 bundle (didn't even remove non-working cores from the 'cores' folder just to see if it would work). Didn't install single core-cias as well in order to avoid conflict as my idea is to try and see if this works rather than test specific cores. Do I have to install singlecore cias along with the core selecting cia? I don't think that's how this works

Sent from my 1DS with A9LH

Last edited by Mr.Faq2015,

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can't even load a core though, I launch the cia and it displays that message... all cores should be updated as I downloaded them along with the 1.4.1 bundle (didn't even remove non-working cores from the 'cores' folder just to see if it would work). Didn't install single core-cias as well in order to avoid conflict as my idea is to try and see if this works rather than test specific cores. Do I have to install singlecore cias along with the core selecting cia? I don't think that's how this works

Sent from my 1DS with A9LH

Install the .cia for each core you want to use. The .cia is the CORE. Update your .cia installations.
When loading an other core, you just load an other installed .cia. (manually or trough the frontend)

The 'retroarch_3ds.cia', is just the frontend compiled WITHOUT any core.
All other .cia's are, frontend WITH core.
The .core files in the 'SD:/retroarch/cores/' folder are links to the installed .cia cores.

Last edited by MrHuu,
Reactions: matt!

Mr.Faq2015

/ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Install the .cia for each core you want to use. The .cia is the CORE. Update your .cia installations.
When loading an other core, you just load an other installed .cia. (manually or trough the frontend)

The 'retroarch_3ds.cia', is just the frontend compiled WITHOUT any core.
All other .cia's are, frontend WITH core.
The .core files in the 'SD:/retroarch/cores/' folder are links to the installed .cia cores.
Got it. Installed some cores: quicknes, picodrive and mame2003 for now. However it's still not working. Although it doesn't remove my sd card anymore it resets the console. Mame2003 core doesn't work as well (crashes and forces reset), guess that extended memory mode cores don't really get along that well with my console. Quicknes and picodrive loaded without problems

callingCujo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no games bundled in this core. FBA doesn't use CHD's, as far as i understand.
FBA is compiled with an internal database, which checks for specific CRC's inside a .zip.

Code:
"jojo_asia_nocd.29f400.u2", 05b4f953
"jojo(__990128)-simm1.0",   9516948b
"jojo(__990128)-simm1.1",   a847848d
"jojo(__990128)-simm1.2",   853e8846
"jojo(__990128)-simm1.3",   c04fe00e
"jojo(__990128)-simm2.0",   e1a4b3c8
"jojo(__990128)-simm2.1",   189cef95
"jojo(__990128)-simm2.2",   47db5ec6
"jojo(__990128)-simm2.3",   e3d3a155
"jojo-simm3.0",             de7fc9c1
"jojo-simm3.1",             43d053d3
"jojo-simm3.2",             2ffd7fa5
"jojo-simm3.3",             4da4985b
"jojo-simm3.4",             fde98d72
"jojo-simm3.5",             edb2a266
"jojo-simm3.6",             be7cf319
"jojo-simm3.7",             56fe1a9f
"jojo-simm4.0",             c4e7bf68
"jojo-simm4.1",             b62b2719
"jojo-simm4.2",             18d15809
"jojo-simm4.3",             9af0ad79
"jojo-simm4.4",             4124c1f0
"jojo-simm4.5",             5e001fd1
"jojo-simm4.6",             9affa23b
"jojo-simm4.7",             2511572a
"jojo-simm5.0",             797615fc
"jojo-simm5.1",             734fd162
Code:
"jojo_usa.29f400.u2", 8d40f7be

I've taken these two files from the mame 0.149 romset. Jojon.zip is the only one which loads for me.
Others seem to crash. I'll try to catch some erros and maybe look into it.

The complete list of supported games and their CRC's can be found inside this file:
https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha/blob/master/src/burn/drv/cps3/d_cps3.cpp

The 'retroarch_3ds.cia' is made for 1.4.0 and up. Loading an older core can mess with your settings, which can cause lot of errors.

I tried downloading these two files from the 0.149 MAME romset, but still no luck. I'm beginning to think that it's a system-related or setup-related error. Maybe I can change something in the retroarch settings to make it work?

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ndAVbKg.png
3ocLNdJ.png
czllFZr.png
Y3m0fQT.png

Got Street Fighter III (sfiii.zip) running as well. Runs a bit slower overall, ~38fps during gameplay, on a New3DS.

I've tested the same files on my old3DS too, just crashes.
I guess this is a New3DS only thing. Sorry.

callingCujo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ndAVbKg.png
3ocLNdJ.png
czllFZr.png
Y3m0fQT.png

Got Street Fighter III (sfiii.zip) running as well. Runs a bit slower overall, ~38fps during gameplay, on a New3DS.

I've tested the same files on my old3DS too, just crashes.
I guess this is a New3DS only thing. Sorry.

Ah, okay, that makes a lot more sense. Wish I would have known before buying another o3ds, but I guess that's okay. Thanks for all the input though, you saved me a lot of trouble.

Reactions: matt!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey