Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

plug313

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm on the lesser informed side of this stuff, but I can tell you straight out that your understanding of emulation is massively incorrect. Power doesn't mean a darn thing. Arguable, the O3DS' raw power is greater than that of an original Xbox (Which can run Dreamcast games at a decent speed) and even rivals Wii, but the architecture is what hinders the system. You remember how there was a big stink over the Ice Climbers getting cut from Smash? It is because the architecture put limitations on what the developers could do with the AI, so they scrapped the Ice Climbers because the system couldn't run it properly (Or it just didn't work at all).

Also, for another example, I remember hearing a while back how the most optimized SNES emulator for a smartphone required close to a 3Ghz CPU before you could even hope to play games at full speed, and, even then, how much had to be compromised. Meanwhile, as far back as Win. 98, people have been able to play SNES games at full speed, and then there was that whole big stink that happened when Apple announced that you could play the latest PS1 titles on a Mac (This was before the 2000s).

So, the first thing you need forgot about when it comes to emulation on alternate devices is that raw power means something. It does help, but is second place in comparison to the system's architecture (Which is the whole problem with the 3DS).

the architecture does indeed help a lot and I did know that, you'd know that if you read how I talked about the PSP emulating N64 (different arch) and not PS1 (nearly the same as PSP).
BUT power does indeed mean something more than you acknowledge. the New 3DS is a quad core arm device specifically made for gaming. you mentioned a minimum quantity of GHz are required, now THAT is not true. a lower clocked core can indeed be more powerful and capable than a higher clocked one. and for this kind of emulation the New 3DS is quite capable. ARM phones have been emulating the PS1 for a decade now. and those weren't dedicated gaming devices, you could only use a fraction of their power to actually run the emulator.

the key is optimisation.
I'm not saying for sure it's ever going to be perfect or anything, but it can be done better. remember most other simpler emulators here aren't that great either. not because of power or architecture, right? but because they still need a lot of work. edit: and of course a closer architecture and more power would make it easier but with the correct optimization a lot of things people don't think are possible can be done. it just takes more work.

and my point was, if the PSP could do N64 even if it wasn't very well then the 3DS consoles can do better.

Last edited by plug313,
Reactions: SLiV3R

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
the architecture does indeed help a lot and I did know that, you'd know that if you read how I talked about the PSP emulating N64 (different arch) and not PS1 (nearly the same as PSP).
BUT power does indeed mean something more than you acknowledge. the New 3DS is a quad core arm device specifically made for gaming. you mentioned a minimum quantity of GHz are required, now THAT is not true. a lower clocked core can indeed be more powerful and capable than a higher clocked one. and for this kind of emulation the New 3DS is quite capable. ARM phones have been emulating the PS1 for a decade now. and those weren't dedicated gaming devices, you could only use a fraction of their power to actually run the emulator.

the key is optimisation.
I'm not saying for sure it's ever going to be perfect or anything, but it can be done better. remember most other simpler emulators here aren't that great either. not because of power or architecture, right? but because they still need a lot of work. edit: and of course a closer architecture and more power would make it easier but with the correct optimization a lot of things people don't think are possible can be done. it just takes more work.

and my point was, if the PSP could do N64 even if it wasn't very well then the 3DS consoles can do better.

I fully agree about the n3ds power and potential. But the 3ds scene never really got that intense and active scene compared to the psp scene. Developers, developers, developers.

The retroarch is my favorite hb for the n3ds. After retroarch there are not much (besides some very cool 1990s PC ports) in the 3ds hb scene that interests me.

Reactions: plug313

Hasslehogg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guys

feel like a right n00b here. i was wondering if anyone can help me please.

I have a new 3ds xl and have installed retroarch via the mame 2003 cia file. Do i still need the xml hack to map into youtube for speed? i cannot find:-

1. what to call the file if using cia install of retroarch
  2. what folder to put it into

i have the file from earlier in the thread, just cant find any instructions for cia installs only some for 3dsx.

please put an idiot out of his misery :(

thanks in advance

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
Gone but never forgotten 3ds pcsx. 2014-2016. Edited OP to reflect this.
ikUiVbj.jpg

Last edited by Stack3r,

joenymus

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guys

feel like a right n00b here. i was wondering if anyone can help me please.

I have a new 3ds xl and have installed retroarch via the mame 2003 cia file. Do i still need the xml hack to map into youtube for speed? i cannot find:-

1. what to call the file if using cia install of retroarch
  2. what folder to put it into

i have the file from earlier in the thread, just cant find any instructions for cia installs only some for 3dsx.

please put an idiot out of his misery :(

thanks in advance
Hi, I did the same, just make a folder is SD root like _mame and place your roms here. simply start the mame2003 app and select load content,, browse to your mame folder and select a rom. easy peasy ;-)
have fun.

plug313

Trophies
XP
Country
Gone but never forgotten 3ds pcsx. 2014-2016. Edited OP to reflect this.
ikUiVbj.jpg

what a shame. I actually bought RE2 and 3 off the Playstation store but never actually played them (for some reason older games feel better on handheld to me) and was hoping I'd get to play it here. sucks.

the 3DS also has the correct resolution for PS1 games by the way. a working emulator would have been incredible.

Reactions: SLiV3R

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
SNES2005 plays Mario RPG better than 2002 version! The only problem is with layers like in Super Mario World. If then correct this SNES2005 will be the best emulator for SNES games for n3DS

KalasGiacomo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
SNES2005 plays Mario RPG better than 2002 version! The only problem is with layers like in Super Mario World. If then correct this SNES2005 will be the best emulator for SNES games for n3DS
You should use pocket snes, that´s the best if u wanna play SM RPG, yoshi's island, kirby super star, etc.

majoru

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Actually, Snes9x for Old3ds added SA-1 support and now it runs those games at full speed on N3DS.
i have just tried mario rpg on both snes9x 2005 plus and snes9x 2010
both are lagging on a new 3ds
---------------------------------------
also gpsp crashes a lot on the new 1.4 stable

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Same