Homebrew RetroArch - A new multi-system emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I will likely push out a new version within a few days with these cores fixed.

It's kinda hard having to do quality control for over 12 platforms and counting even with a handful of people contributing. It might not seem like a big deal to outsiders but it's really, really time consuming and starts becoming more of a job rather than a hobby. Anyway, I try to fix what I can whenever something pops up, but the intent is certainly not to launch buggy point releases.

It doesn't help either that FBA keeps getting updated and that it's always a hassle making the separate 'core versions' for systems with limited amounts of RAM like Wii and Xbox 1. It's kinda a moving target in that respect.

Very much appreciated.
Take your time.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Jacobeian should learn how things work then and make a Github issue about it. This isn't 1999 anymore. I don't scour every forum looking for "code suggestions" - this is 2014.

Also - to be quite honest with you - I never use the Nunchuk because I honestly don't give a shit about it. I can't think of a more worthless input medium for retro games.

Hell, if it were up to me, I'd remove it - anything to debloat Wii input is fine by my book.

Excuse me ? You initially asked people to look what could be wrong with your code and so did I. Also, the fix for that was so obvious that I would have think you would have figured yourself how to it, sorry to have overestimated your coding/understanding ability ;-)

That bug will affect wiimote directions when a nunchuk is connected. Actually, the way your input code is designed, if the wiimote accidentally reports pressed buttons when using another controller (nunchuk or classic), for example if someone puts it somewhere on the wrong side (don't laugh, that happens ^^), you could experiment that kind of stucked directions issues. I would suggest making better separation in the input polling depending on the used controller. Sorry, no patch for that, it's pretty obvious switch usage and i am sure at least Toadking will be able to do it.

Same, you didn't remove the call to SI_ function for GC gamepad polling as it was suggested to you, although no existing homebrew use it, probably for a good reason. There is no reason to keep it and I am pretty sure it can add some latency. I will try to post a code snippet later when i have access to computer since it was asked so kindly.

My point is that, as you acknowledged it, bugs happen and retroarch is no exception, as shown previously. This is not a problem off course. The problem is when you refuse to accept any criticism about your code and, as a counter attack, ALWAYS blame other devs (emu authors, wii devs, libogc devs,...) who never did or said anything against you. Also keep in mind that you are a few years late, people who made the Wii scene have left since and moved to other things probably, that's life. Instead of publically attacking them on forums or blaming them for things they probably have no idea about, have you tried contacted them privately in a friendly way ?

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The new dual analog stick input method for Quake works like a charm, I'm using a CC but I wonder why I can't map the shoulder L-R to "fire", it seems they are hard-coded to strafe, also zR and zL are disabled (not a big deal since Quake doesn't use many buttons). If someone has been playing around with tyrquake settings please let me know, so we can share button mappings. ^_^

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not change my settings at all.
I think the problem has something to do with the config files.

I took some new libretro dols and mixed and matched them with retroarch wii 0.99

strange thing is that only the 8 bit emus are affected, all other dols work as they should.

EDIT: I have no cleu whatsoever causes this problem.
I checked my video settings several times ( PAL, 480P )
Ever since I updated RA ( took some dols out ) i cannot get the 8 bit cores to run at 60 fps.
All NTSCU and NTSCJ roms run at slow 50 fps.

If anyone has fix for this please let me know.

( I allready reinstalled my system menu but that did not help )
I think some setting are screwed in my Wii .

When updating to 1.0.0.0, it is recommended to delete the old config and make a new one to avoid conflicts as stated on the libretro downloads page, but may I ask why you have old cores mixed with new ones? Have you tried the new Nestopia core that came with version 1.0?

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Instead of publically attacking them on forums or blaming them for things they probably have no idea about, have you tried contacted them privately in a friendly way ?

And then you go and do the same thing to me -

Excuse me ? You initially asked people to look what could be wrong with your code and so did I. Also, the fix for that was so obvious that I would have think you would have figured yourself how to it, sorry to have overestimated your coding/understanding ability ;-)

Calling other people's coding/understanding abilities into question - because we all know that is being "so much friendlier" than what I do - right.

Frankly - I keep saying it - I don't need any of you guys, nor do I need your 'scene' - it is deader than dead at this point. If you guys can't bring it in yourself to spend three minutes to fucking make some pull requests without giving me some smug "shit" like you just gave me, then who gives a shit really? Shit can remain broken and you can wallow in your own "superiority" for all I care. I do these Wii releases not for fame and glory - I do it just to give something back. If that is not appreciated, then lots of luck gentleman - have fun with a dead scene, because I'm the only one I can see around here actually CONTRIBUTING JACK SHIT right now.

Most people who know me even question what the hell I am doing on this site right now and why I care about you guys or what you have to say. I honestly don't know either. I guess I'm just trying to be "nice" in my own little way - to a bunch of guys who think I am the "asshole" when it's pot calling kettle black.

Same, you didn't remove the call to SI_ function for GC gamepad polling as it was suggested to you, although no existing homebrew use it, probably for a good reason. There is no reason to keep it and I am pretty sure it can add some latency. I will try to post a code snippet later when i have access to computer since it was asked so kindly.

You're doing the same really as your friends - you're pointing out things which "look odd" to you - but you've never actually bothered to verify if it is actually RELATED to the issue at hand. Because you feel you are "above" testing whether it actually helped or not or fixed "anything".

And then you pat yourself on the back and call what you did "helping me" and "correcting my bugs" - quite the non-sequitur there.

Just like you think you are above a PR request when every other dev in every other goddamn scene I've been in had no problems doing so. And BTW - they don't have your air of superiority to them too - it's something you seem to share with the marcans and that other guy in here talking about shagkur ripping off the GC SDK in his 'purported' homebrew SDK.

No son - I think you'll find it's pretty much a problem with your shitty scene. The same shitty scene that hasn't said a bad word so far about a couple of guys forking Mupen64 and keeping the source to themselves for FOUR FUCKING YEARS - a CLEAR GPL VIOLATION if there ever was one.

I'm pretty much sick and tired of this heckling shit by you guys. I'm leaving - I don't take time out of my work schedule to engage in silly little bitch fights with you guys - either be constructive or keep "hating" and see where the fuck that gets you. Over and out. When you want to get some 'shit done' and help the only remaining homebrew still being developed for Wii - you know where to go to. But I know - heckling and trolling is so much more constructive - I get it.

Have fun with your purported "homebrew scene" built around a "shim homebrew SDK" built in turn around stolen GC SDK code. AND a couple of porter guys thought of as gurus who managed to keep a Mupen64 fork closed-source for over "four years "without anybody saying so much as a peep.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry, no patch for that, it's pretty obvious switch usage and i am sure at least Toadking will be able to do it.

I love how you try to make it seem like I don't know my shit. So what makes you think that me asking for a "patch" or "pull request" is me supposedly "not knowing" how to fix it? WTF is up with that bullshit attitude? Moreover, why keep talking about this when it's NOT ABOUT THE REAL ISSUE? Did it ever occur to you that I MIGHT have other shit to do - and this is why I ask for a "patch" by someone who has vetted the issue? That thought ever occur to you - that I might have 12 other (and pretty much more important than the Wii at this point) platforms to attend to? Yeah I know you don't - since you don't have to maintain that kind of workload. I - however - the so-called "inferior dev" - does.

So what did you ever accomplish that makes you this 'high and mighty' other than a couple of run-me-down ports? Lose the attitude and lose the smug air of superiority.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When updating to 1.0.0.0, it is recommended to delete the old config and make a new one to avoid conflicts as stated on the libretro downloads page, but may I ask why you have old cores mixed with new ones? Have you tried the new Nestopia core that came with version 1.0?

Yes I did that like always.

after my fresh install I noticed that fcue and Nestopia Only displayed at 50 hz, an fba core was broken.

So I figured I only take what I use.
In my case, VBA NEXT, Neogeo core, Doom engine.
I replaced those for the ones from the 0.9.9 release.
at first it worked, but it seems cofig files were written alot, ot even corresponding with the loaded core..

I figured I do a fresh install of either 1.o or 0.9.9.

Both builds only displyed the 8 bit emu's at 50hz.
So I figured it must be my Wii.
( remebered a bug in libogc that it expected a new line after every statement or else apps could not properly detect region settings on Wii.)

So I even build a fresh nand using puntwiin ( ohneswanzenegger )
and remodded my Wii.

STILL the problem exsist....
I will try to get a version of retro arch were the dols are extracted on the fly, see if that helps...

Very strange bug anf it does not make sense, unless the bug is still in the code of RA.

I'm on a PAL system. CLEAN SYSTEM.
Sorry for the typos, I've got dinner cooking....

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My point is that, as you acknowledged it, bugs happen and retroarch is no exception, as shown previously. This is not a problem off course. The problem is when you refuse to accept any criticism about your code and, as a counter attack, ALWAYS blame other devs (emu authors, wii devs, libogc devs,...) who never did or said anything against you. Also keep in mind that you are a few years late, people who made the Wii scene have left since and moved to other things probably, that's life. Instead of publically attacking them on forums or blaming them for things they probably have no idea about, have you tried contacted them privately in a friendly way ?

"Friendly way"? Like you are doing to me now with your carefully chosen "bait"? Hah. You are quite the hypocrite. You should heed your own advice. I see only one guy calling other people's coding skills into question.

You haven't walked a mile in my shoes son. Before you start talking shit - make sure you have something to show for it other than a few run-me-down Wii ports that you never bothered to maintain.

You start having public repositories so we can point and laugh at YOUR PUBLIC COMMITS - I'm sure there is plenty of "commits" in there that would lead other equally dickish people to question "your" coding abilities. Ridiculing people for being open is easy - all the more so when people like you like to act so 'elitist' with closed private forks and "tarball source releases".

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to bash such a wonderful app as RetroArch.

But I personally use Snes GX instead of RetroArch, why?
RetroArch seems unavailable to use wiiRemote as controllers. With normal Snes GX I can just launch a rom and use wiiRemote fine.

If however that was fixed in RetroArch i use it instead. It's so compressed and wonderful having all emus under one app.

Edit: Or maybe I can use wiiFRemote in retroArch, just haven't figured out how yet.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Probably time to stop caring about what people say on internet forums really.

It's a gutter trash scene anyway that never went anywhere, that takes pride in ripping off GPL sourcecode bases and locking them up in private repos, kisses each other's backside, wallows in self-superiority over stupid shit like reversing GC SDKs (as per that previous guy's own admissions), calls that a "homebrew legal SDK" for donkey's years.

Yeah, you are a real 'genius' right if you can run stolen 'illegal SDKs' through IDA Pro - uhuh. You are an even "greater genius" if you can rip off a GPL'ed N64 codebase, run off with your code changes, put them in a private repo and have the Wii scene suck your dick asking for scraps for years. And none of these mighty chickenshit devs - the Jacobeains, the Wiimpathys - say jack shit about it for years. And the really 'bad thing' about it is that you want to make a big stink and big "morality play" out of "hating pirates" when that is what you do in private. I don't mind the act - I dislike the dishonesty and the hypocrisy.

Know what the Wii scene is? It's a glorified 'piracy scene' - you distribute the 'nice stuff' amongst your little knitting circle, and you give the leftover scraps (such as the asm2cc'ed GC SDK) to the 'public'. It's pretty much a similar bullshit scene as the PS3 and 360 scenes were.

Good thing these console scenes are pretty much over and finished now with iOS and Android. We no longer need to deal with your lot.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii 'scene' was rather dead since before the first RetroArch Wii release anyway, Tantric for instance hasn't released anything since before your first release for instance.... We all really appreciate your efforts, and know it must be hard work across so many formats, but surely you'd expect bug reporting to be 95% of your feedback, especially as you're stretching yourself (re your job rather than hobby comment). True some people could word these comments better, but since "Releases and support has moved here: http://forum.themaister.net/viewtopic.php?id=347" as per your last little 'tat' a while ago, shouldn't you be busy not give a flying bollock what gets put up on here?? Unless your stance has changed and gbatemps input matters to you now, surely peeps like Heilkenator and the rest can put whatever the f**k they like up on this thread?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii 'scene' was rather dead since before the first RetroArch Wii release anyway, Tantric for instance hasn't released anything since before your first release for instance.... We all really appreciate your efforts, and know it must be hard work across so many formats, but surely you'd expect bug reporting to be 95% of your feedback, especially as you're stretching yourself (re your job rather than hobby comment). True some people could word these comments better, but since "Releases and support has moved here: http://forum.themaister.net/viewtopic.php?id=347" as per your last little 'tat' a while ago, shouldn't you be busy not give a flying bollock what gets put up on here?? Unless your stance has changed and gbatemps input matters to you now, surely peeps like Heilkenator and the rest can put whatever the f**k they like up on this thread?

I've posted all my bug reports on the libretro forums myself, and everyone else should to the same. I'm baffled as to why the thread here on GBA Temp is still open.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

If it's "dead" and these "high and mighty devs" no longer want to do jack shit and sit on the sidelines then they should shut the fuck up and not piss all over me and instead be "helpful". Don't sit there and be a welfare queen not doing jack shit and mock and ridicule other people's hard work - if they are true custodians of this purported "homebrew scene" then these guys would do well to try to help and build up the few people who still give a flying fuck about their deserted platform.

But oh noes - the little IRC knitting circle must remain to act like 13-14 year old kids even though they must be in their late 20s now - it's so much nicer to say "your code sucks, you are wrong, you are a poor programmer blahblah" rather than giving some pull requests because "sorry, don't feel like it - no time".

Fuck off - that is not acceptable behavior in any scene. Nobody acts like that - only a loser "console scene" with delusions of grandeur acts like that.

You know - if I'd known about this kind of resentment against me - I'd never have released the new Wii version. I'm doing this out of a dedication to existing scenes - not because I particularly care about the console. And this is what I get back in return - well, fuck that.

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a gutter trash scene anyway that never went anywhere, that takes pride in ripping off GPL sourcecode bases and locking them up in private repos, kisses each other's backside, wallows in self-superiority over stupid shit like reversing GC SDKs (as per that previous guy's own admissions), calls that a "homebrew legal SDK" for donkey's years.

Yeah, you are a real 'genius' right if you can run stolen 'illegal SDKs' through IDA Pro - uhuh. You are an even "greater genius" if you can rip off a GPL'ed N64 codebase, run off with your code changes, put them in a private repo and have the Wii scene suck your dick asking for scraps for years. And none of these mighty chickenshit devs - the Jacobeains, the Wiimpathys - say jack shit about it for years. And the really 'bad thing' about it is that you want to make a big stink and big "morality play" out of "hating pirates" when that is what you do in private. I don't mind the act - I dislike the dishonesty and the hypocrisy.

Know what the Wii scene is? It's a glorified 'piracy scene' - you distribute the 'nice stuff' amongst your little knitting circle, and you give the leftover scraps (such as the asm2cc'ed GC SDK) to the 'public'. It's pretty much a similar bullshit scene as the PS3 and 360 scenes were.

Good thing these console scenes are pretty much over and finished now with iOS and Android. We no longer need to deal with your lot.

Calm down?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy hell's sake, not everyone is a jerk or an asshole around here, yes, there are a few punks who like to think they know everything, and that's to be expected, but damn man, no one really knows how awesome this emulator is.

Why don't you tell them that? Oh I see - they're part of the "knitting circle" and have "get out of jail free" cards.

Would it help if we reported these self-entitled pricks? Your work is appreciated, and yes, it is unnerving to have to deal with such troglodytic bullshit, it sucks, but please don't forget more people appreciate your work more than the idiots try to call you out, etc

Reactions: Margen67

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You know your app (retoArch) is a success, why get upset over 1-2 guys who want to start a fight when thousand enjoy your app?

I get upset because it's an entire dev contingent that "could" be contributing but CHOOSES not to. And their reasonings for choosing not to - ie. the "I am an asshole part" - is rather hypocritical considering the way they have acted all throughout this thread. Pot calling the kettle black and all that.

Fuck them, I'm out of here. You don't care? Then I don't care either.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get upset because it's an entire dev contingent that "could" be contributing but CHOOSES not to. And their reasonings for choosing not to - ie. the "I am an asshole part" - is rather hypocritical considering the way they have acted all throughout this thread. Pot calling the kettle black and all that.

Fuck them, I'm out of here. You don't care? Then I don't care either.

Sadly enough, many devs around here and on the internet as a whole are nothing self-entitled pricks who don't care about helping each other out. You, on the other hand, did the impossible, made an emulator for the Wii that people love to use. I can't make you stay, or change your decision or what have you, no, but, anyways I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1