Retro Review Thread #1

D

Deleted User

I have to agree with all of those comments! This was fun and very interesting to read. I haven't been around for quite some time and didn't expect anything like this when I was skimming through the NDS releases I missed.

Keep up the good work -- all of you! I'm already eager to read the next issue, I just love to read about retro games. Thanks guys!

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Granville, nice comparison between Kirby Super Star Ultra and Kirby Super Star. One thing I noticed though, you seem to have missed that they crippled the original mini-games from the SNES version so that they only can be played in singleplayer. That is a major letdown if you ask me since the new minigames just don't have the same feeling as the old ones.

Otherwise, even though I don't agree with all your points (as I've said before) I really enjoyed reading it.

Going to read the rest of the reviews as soon as I get enough time to do so
happy.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the praise! I didn't expect to be approached to write a review by Hadrian! And also excellent job to TrolleyDave and Cockroachman! These articles should continue!
biggrin.gif

If you ever need help on more articles in the future, I'll be here! One of my old favorites is the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, so if you ever decide to do them, please consider me! Cheers!
wink.gif

@Minox
I did indeed miss that. I'm sorry because I totally forgot about it.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
If you ever need help on more articles in the future, I'll be here! One of my old favorites is the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, so if you ever decide to do them, please consider me! Cheers!
wink.gif
Yeah sure, go write it...

NOW

gbasp.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
granville said:
@Minox
I did indeed miss that. I'm sorry because I totally forgot about it.
You shouldn't be sorry, it's just something that I'd like to point out.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I was just thinking, how about an unreleased review in some issues? I've got quite a few unreleased SNES/MD games like Young Indiana Jones, Steven Segals The Final Option and others that could be done. I think I've got Return Fire for the Saturn somewhere as well.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
granville said:
wink.gif
Yeah sure, go write it...

NOW

gbasp.gif
Seriously? I can do it? YAYYYY! I certainly will, but it'll be a while before I can start it. Maybe a few days. I've been having to work a lot and our lawnmower broke down and I've had to cut the entire yard with a weed eater. So it'll take longer than the Kirby review. I'll do it though! The DKC trilogy are some of my favorite games! I'll probably split the reviews up to judge each game, but I'll be honored to do reviews for them!
grog.gif

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hadrian, you DID it! Great work mate. You really put a lot of effort into these reviews. It's very extensive! I also love how you put many images in there. It's like reading a retro gaming mag.
I'm genuinely impressed. You deserve a "Gba temp incredible contributor" medal for this and off course the "coming releases"section....

Go on, make us proud boy!

jono_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Great work.

Lucasarts adventure classics are the greatest thing that ever was, and sam and max exemplifies just that.

housemonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games Based On Films, That Didn't Suck

That is such a great premise to base some retro reviews on. I was just thinking about all the games that fly in the face of that (well deserved) stereotype the other day.

I nominate Batman on the NES next as I just managed to re-beat that game for the second time in my life just last week.

Just Joe

Trophies
XP
Country
Good reading... looking forward to the next one.

Vaguely remember Indy on the SNES, saw it in the stores but never bought it, although was never a real fan of the Star Wars SNES games. The 3D levels spoiled them for me.

First Spider-man game I played was the first one released on the Mega Drive. Looks like crap now but still plays well.

Sam and Max is a must play in my opinion, that, M.I. and Grim Fandango.

Don't remember the Ghost Busters 2 game, but does anyone remember the Ghost Busters game that came out on the Spectrum and C64?

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually own the indy game on snes. It was a moment for me when I found out it even was coming out and then grabbing it at Software Etc all those years ago as I'm a big indy fan. I still will pull that tough bastard out in awhile and give it a go as it's just a really fantastically assembled hard but fair platform title.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edgedancer said:
Good job with this thread I hope it becomes a little more regular than the Tempcast.
smile.gif
Only problem with the tempcast was that it requires a lot of editing and the person editing has no time. Imagine having to edit 3 peoples recording, usually over an hour long and then having to put it all together and making sure it matches and then take out a lot of crap. I know the new one is finished, I'm not on it though. VVoltz is gonna try and get it done at the weekend.

As for this, I'm going for a monthly thread so at most there will be a 4 week wait, the next thread will have a lot more in it as there are games I've reviewed for this one on it (but didn't make this one as I didn't have to to get screens) and also there is more help this time around.

I welcome more help of course, PM me.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wow, this is really awesome work, hadrian! i love seeing all these old gems and discovering new old ones
smile.gif

i really appreciate it, thank you
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: