Hardware Retro game console capturing device?

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
OP
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, I'm looking for suggestions on what to use to capture footage from game consoles as old as the NES and as recent as the PS3. What few products I found that would accept both composite and HDMI inputs seem to have consistently reported major problems; Blackmagic Intensity has very specific motherboard requirements, otherwise it will just refuse to work, and the Elgato Game Capture HD has many reports of corrupted video files and significant audio desyncing issues, just as examples. After spending quite a large chunk of time trying to find something that will both accept the inputs I need as well as work consistently, I've come here seeking advice from those who are more informed/experienced on the issue. For those who do record your gameplay with a capture device, what would you recommend?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Theres a external one who looks like a ps vita case with a round button at the center. Very easy to use. I dont record the name. Is used also to stream.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
StarTech PEXHDCAP

Micomsoft SC-512N1-L

Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1

For Retro consoles, all three of the above can record 240p correctly and will accept a 15Khz RGB signal, so you can use the native RGB many retro consoles provide. You do have to use an adapter though, as none of them have a JP21 or Scart connector.

The Startech can do up to 1080/30 and the two Micomsoft can do 1080/60, so they are good for modern consoles aswell. PS3 is HDCP protected, so if you want that over hdmi, you'll have to strip it first.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit for retro consoles. Only accepts 240p over S-video or composite. Doesn't support RGB, doesn't support 240p over YPbPr, so can't even use RGB->YPbPr transcoder with it.

Hmm, those would be pricey I'd imagine though, getting Snes and other old consoles to accept RGB would be a pain.

anthonyplep

(´ε` )
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying this as a recommendation, but rather just giving my experience

I use the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition+. It has composite and HDMI so you're capable of recording basically any console. I've recorded as retro as the Atari 2600 (connected to a VCR to give it composite) and as modern as the Xbox One

When the HD PVR works, it's great. Pricey and I imagine it's probably outdated at this point, but I've used it heavily since late 2014 and have certainly gotten my money's worth out of it

I've had so many issues with it, mainly my videos corrupting. You can throw the broken video in a converter and it'll fix, but then the audio desyncs. I haven't had a single issue with the capture card since April though, probably due to upgrading my PC

Would I recommend it? Probably not. I can only imagine there's way much better stuff on the market, but it is more than qualified to do what it's supposed to do...when it works

Here you can find a playlist of all the consoles I've recorded with the HD PVR

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning