Retro Freak vs Retrode2...which one is better these days?

Knight of Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys,

While doing some browsing today, I noticed some information about a device called the Retro Freak, and for a moment I thought it looked like a more powerful version of the Retrode2. Now, being as I have a Retrode2, I'm definitely on the fence about whether or not it would be worth it to buy a Retro Freak, so I wish to ask some questions please (I'm hoping there is at least one person with either a Retro Freak or a Retro Freak and a Retrode2 who can give me input on at least one of my questions).

First of all, how good is the Retro Freak's compatibility with SNES games that use a special chip like the SA-1 chip, DSP-1 chip, or Super FX chip? I have heard that the Retro Freak is able to preserve save data like the Retrode2 by importing/exporting those saves, but I'm not sure if it outclasses the Retrode2 in that aspect...does it?

Second, is there a way to use an A/V cable with the Retro Freak? I have a Honestech device which allows me to use a computer screen in place of a TV when playing console video games, but I'm not sure if the two would work well together.

Third, I've noticed the Retro Freak is known to overheat. Is there a way to lessen the chances of it overheating?

Fourth, how well does the Retro Freak work with NES games used with the NES adapter? I've read that the Retro Freak can play NES games, but not without this adapter in use.

Fifth, I was on eBay and saw a listing for the Retro Freak with a review where someone who bought the Retro Freak had some misfortune with the pin connectors breaking on him...is this a serious flaw of the Retro Freak (in other words, are they prone to breaking easily?), or is it something that can be avoided if you're really careful?

Finally, what are some things that the Retro Freak can do that the Retrode2 can't do (even with any of its plugins in use), and vice versa? I know the Retrode2 cannot play NES games for starters.

Thanks in advance.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Second, is there a way to use an A/V cable with the Retro Freak? I have a Honestech device which allows me to use a computer screen in place of a TV when playing console video games, but I'm not sure if the two would work well together.
doesn't that devices add a really high amount of latency? in the old days i had a tv card on my pc, i ttried to use my sega on it and the screen was almost 1 second delayed.. couldn't play a thing...

anyway, http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/12/hardware_review_cyber_gadget_retro_freak
it has a hdmi port, isn't that an option? most monitors nowadays do have an hdmi input..

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retro Freak has a higher degree of accuracy with its emulators; I watched some direct videos (screen capture) and they sound spot on. The Retrode2 has audio issues. The latency is overblown, but any device with emulators, even the NES Classic, will have some input lag, but it's negligible. As far as compatibility, I haven't heard of any Snes games not working.

Knight of Time

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
migles: If you're talking about the Honestech software I have, it's actually not that bad at all...the delay is relatively minor (and it doesn't always happen).

As it turns out, I do have an HDMI port on my computer. I'm not sure if it would work with the Honestech software (it includes this small device you connect the 3 a/v cables to, and from there you can connect it to a USB port on a computer), though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hello everyone