Tutorial  Updated

Restoring original colors to GBA VC

This is a followup on my footers thread, I have succeeded in getting back the original colors instead of the washed out/dark/mute colors every GBA VC has.

It's actually quite simple; every string of numbers that go like this: 00 00 00 00 00 00 in blocks of six are now changed to blocks of three until you reach FF FF FF.

I have already gone through the trouble of writing all the values out in a separate file ORIGINAL.bin
Simply go through the process of making a footer, open it in a hex editor and open original.bin as well, select everything in it and copy it to the footer starting at offset 0x24.

Should look like this:
hM80pLk.png

Ideally the GBA footer generator should get updated with this option to avoid hex editing and name the other settings something more accurate than "Memory Config".

Comparison shots
wg7cCfG.png
5rJUCVA.png

diclpff.png
cgqneOc.png

OXI6TIz.png
38Fihuj.png

Bonus: Remove or add more ghosting/blur
Edit byte at offset 0x20

0xFF/255 = No blurring/ghosting
0xF0/240 = Very little ghosting
0xC0/192 = Official value, standard ghosting
0x80/128 = Official value, more ghosting, highly noticeable
0x20/32 = Insane ghosting
0x01 = MAX

Last edited by SuperrSonic, , Reason: 0x00 is an invalid value, fixed.

bytar

Holy Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, I'll do one for you so you can see the different the colour hack does if it's implemented correctly.

<snip>

I have this installed on my O3DS, works perfectly.
thank you man i'll try it. i wish someone do it same thing on the iso site.

Last edited by raulpica,

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
thank you man i'll try it. i wish someone do it same thing on the iso site.

No worries. Personally I think it's too niche for them to do, it's specifically for hacked GBA support on the 3DS. MK:SC is a good one to choose because it doesn't require any weird settings or hex editing the GBA ROM file to make the saving work correctly, which I had to do to get Pokémon: FireRed working for example. Or Donkey Kong Country which worked but wouldn't save correctly, fortunately the SNES version emulates fairly well on blargSNES and I prefer that one anyway.

bytar

Holy Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
it is perfect. why didn't nintendo do this? why do they f... up the colours of the all vc console games?

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it is perfect. why didn't nintendo do this? why do they f... up the colours of the all vc console games?
They didn't, if you buy an advance this is what the colors look like. The edited roms look more like gba games on ds lite or emulator which is not how they were intended to look. That being said they still look better this way imo.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
They didn't, if you buy an advance this is what the colors look like. The edited roms look more like gba games on ds lite or emulator which is not how they were intended to look. That being said they still look better this way imo.

Agreed, just because the GBA had a primitive washed out looking screen that's no reason the GBA emulator on the 3DS (which is superb, quality wise analogous to how the PS1 emulator is on the PS Vita) needs to suffer the same fate.

I'm surprised we have a GBA VC at all, from what I've read it only exists because Nintendo released about 10 titles to people who paid full launch price as a compensation. Why they didn't decide to monetise it for O3DS is anyone's guess but meh, we can exploit it for any title so it's all good.

Helix Fossil

DQ Fan Translator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to apply this to GBA games already installed as .cia files? I have about 30-35 GBA games installed and I reaaaaaally don't wanna redo them all...

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You talk about "original" colors but that's completely wrong. The games were designed to be displayed in the GBA's LCD so the colors look saturated when running on emulators.

You're not restoring anything. AGB_FIRM already attempts to reproduce the original experience (except that stupid ghosting... no idea where they took that from).

Last edited by piratesephiroth,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, Game Boy Player renders games using a direct 15-bit RGB conversion (i.e. what the hack in this thread does) instead of darkening it. I'd have to double-check, but I don't remember GBA games being as dark as they are on 3DS on the GB Player.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also a huge number of gba games are ports from other systems, and their gba colors are actually the incorrect colors

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.