Tutorial  Updated

Restoring original colors to GBA VC

This is a followup on my footers thread, I have succeeded in getting back the original colors instead of the washed out/dark/mute colors every GBA VC has.

It's actually quite simple; every string of numbers that go like this: 00 00 00 00 00 00 in blocks of six are now changed to blocks of three until you reach FF FF FF.

I have already gone through the trouble of writing all the values out in a separate file ORIGINAL.bin
Simply go through the process of making a footer, open it in a hex editor and open original.bin as well, select everything in it and copy it to the footer starting at offset 0x24.

Should look like this:
hM80pLk.png

Ideally the GBA footer generator should get updated with this option to avoid hex editing and name the other settings something more accurate than "Memory Config".

Comparison shots
wg7cCfG.png
5rJUCVA.png

diclpff.png
cgqneOc.png

OXI6TIz.png
38Fihuj.png

Bonus: Remove or add more ghosting/blur
Edit byte at offset 0x20

0xFF/255 = No blurring/ghosting
0xF0/240 = Very little ghosting
0xC0/192 = Official value, standard ghosting
0x80/128 = Official value, more ghosting, highly noticeable
0x20/32 = Insane ghosting
0x01 = MAX

Last edited by SuperrSonic, , Reason: 0x00 is an invalid value, fixed.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the game but some are quite obviously washed out and it looks horrible. This is amazing, I will try it out asap.

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Amazing, thank you for your hard work!
Is there a way to reduce/remove the ghosting effect most fast-paced games seem to suffer from?

Reactions: BORTZ

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know that the GBA screens generally were never as a bright as what you would see in an emulator though, right? I would assume that is why they don't make them like that on 3DS. I mean, if you want it brighter that's cool, I'm just saying that this is probably why they aren't like that on 3DS.

Last edited by 9thSage,

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
F
This is a followup on my footers thread, I have succeeded in getting back the original colors instead of the washed out/dark/mute colors every GBA VC has.

It's actually quite simple; every string of numbers that go like this: 00 00 00 00 00 00 in blocks of six are now changed to blocks of three until you reach FF FF FF.

I have already gone through the trouble of writing all the values out in a separate file ORIGINAL.bin
Simply go through the process of making a footer, open it in a hex editor and open original.bin as well, select everything in it and copy it to the footer starting at offset 0x24.

Should look like this:
hM80pLk.png

Ideally Simple GBA Converter should get updated with this option to avoid hex editing and name the other settings something more accurate than 'Memory Config'.

Thank you so much, now we need to get rid of the fucking motion blur

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I always liked how Link's Awakening DX looks with a washed out pallet. The colors look more natural. But Mario Kart Super Circuit looks too bright, and Tony Hawk 2 is too dark.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's just the 3DS screen, nothing can be changed about that. (You probably have a N3DS, right?)

I found it most notable in yoshis island. Run and jump throufh the first level. Its not the screens but something they deliberately added to emulate the gba screen. Though it was never as bad back then

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I found it most notable in yoshis island. Run and jump throufh the first level. Its not the screens but something they deliberately added to emulate the gba screen. Though it was never as bad back then
It is definitly NOT added for emulation, as for instance it does not appear on my o3DS which has the same AGB_FIRM as my n3DS which does have ghosting. Ghosting is simply a side-effect from the IPS panel used on some on the n3DS'. Because this is a flaw in the 3DS' screen you cannot turn it off. Also you claim that this is to emulate the GBA screen while this is simply not true because there is no code to back this claim up, it's also extremly stupid for them to do so. They don't blur out their VC games (by default some have the option) and they never try to emulate the CTR screen so why the hell would they try to emulate the GBA screen it doesn't make any logical sense.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ghosting is simply a side-effect from the IPS panel used on some on the n3DS'.
I've had this problem on my old XL before with yoshis island so it's not only N3DS'. Maybe o3ds non XL don't get it? I've never played YI on my non xl.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've had this problem on my old XL before with yoshis island so it's not only N3DS'. Maybe o3ds non XL don't get it? I've never played YI on my non xl.
I never played Yoshi's story but Harry Potter 3 has ghosting on my n3DS (non-xl) but none at all on my o3DS (non-xl). Also as I also said there is no code for emulating such ghosting effects so it must be the screen of the actual 3DS something which can be compensated for but not with a easy settings tweak.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yawn