Resident Evil: Revelations 3DS first video

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the best looking game demos shown off at E3 for the 3DS was Resident Evil Revelations. Now we have the first look at a video of the game-

UPDATE- Capcom has now confirmed for those who doubt it that this video is of the game engine being rendered in real time using the 3DS hardware. This proof comes from a Capcom official email-

QUOTE said:
“Following last week’s announcement that Capcom currently has two titles, Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (tentative title), in development for the Nintendo 3DS the first trailer for Resident Evil: Revelations has just been released and is now available for download from our press extranet. Featuring appearances from Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine.”

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/43276/

Note- Unless that's some kind of a flashback, it looks like this game may have zombies!
biggrin.gif

Keep in mind here that this is a cutscene of course. However, showfloor people at E3 have confirmed that you could adjust the camera position in the floor demo, which is apparently using scenes identical to this trailer (also shown off in screenshots). That indicates that the cutscene is being rendered in real time by the 3DS' hardware and is not actually a video. You could control the camera with the analog stick in the demo even though no gameplay control was implemented. You wouldn't be able to do that in a prerendered video. So this could very well be what the actual game will look like even during gameplay. And in light of the newly announced 3DS graphics processor, that seems quite likely to be able to produce such graphics.

At this time, there's no release date for RE:Revelations. Nor the 3DS itself. And we also don't know what kind of gameplay it will have, whether it will be in the classic style of the PS1 games, the over the shoulder third person shooter perspective on RE4 and RE5, or if it's another oddball onrails shooter like Umbrella Chronicles. Stay tuned hopefully for some new details soon!
wink.gif

http://www.nintendoeverything.com/43274/

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
(Edited my whole post for accuracy)
granville said:
You could control the camera with the analog stick in the demo even though no gameplay control was implemented. You wouldn't be able to do that in a prerendered video.
What I heard is that you could zoom the camera in and slide the image around (rather than change the camera angle), almost proving that it definitely is pre-rendered. Maybe it was rendered on a dev kit, and then encoded into video which was shown at the show floor, but what people saw at the show floor was definitely a video.

This article is my source.
QUOTE('IGN') said:
Oh, and Resident Evil Revelations? It was just video that you could zoom in and out and turn the camera that simply slid the video around. It wasn't being generated on the 3DS in realtime, guaranteed.Then again, this is IGN we're talking about, and there have been other reports that you could change the camera angle, so I think this is another case of IGN lying/being stupid.

QUOTE(--=ZerO=-- @ Jun 22 2010, 10:20 AM)
revelationingameproof.jpg

Here is the Proof... It's Ingame!
That's not exactly proof. It's just proof that they rendered it at a sensible polygon level and with sensible texture resolution.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sheesh, people are trying to point out the "jaggies" and shit in this cutscene despite the fact it looks amazing and it's on a handheld. I'd like to see the PSP or the DS do better. Just accept the fact it looks amazing.

Can't wait for hopefully a full Resident Evil game.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Sheesh, people are trying to point out the "jaggies" and shit in this cutscene despite the fact it looks amazing and it's on a handheld. I'd like to see the PSP or the DS do better. Just accept the fact it looks amazing.

Plus the ability to anti-alias edges, I honestly can't see this thing not being the best thing ever.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Freudian Lemur

It's just that IGN is stupid as usual. They were the ones who claimed the system was as powerful as the PS3. It's not, as good as it may look. They've been full of shit in the past. And there are already a bunch of other sources that say it's ingame and that you have full control over the camera, like in Metal Gear Solid 3DS demo. IGN has officially squandered any reputability they once may have had over many stupid and IGNorant reports that were just bullshit. They also initially reported that the DSi had two touchscreens. They are never to be trusted. I find it ironic how the people who were adamant about the 3DS having PS3 graphics are now saying that it was a video, despite not looking as good as RE5.

And if that were a video, they would have used graphics rendered from the PS3 game engine as they'd want to make it look as awesome as possible. Although the game is impressive and blows any other handheld game away (along with any game from last gen's consoles), it has clearly blocky graphics, jaggies, and some clearly lower quality textures that would not be present in a high quality PS3-rendered video. They would not have used flaws such as those to showcase that game if it wasn't rendered using the 3DS hardware real time.

Look, we already have proof this is ingame graphics. It may have been an on rails demo, but you not only have full camera control, we now have proof that the game engine is powered by a ported version of MT Framework, which is used to render the graphics in several PS3 games. It is brought down a bunch of notches of course, but the fact still remains, this isn't a video. We've been through this time and time again.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=127720

@Guild-

We're not point out flaws to bash the game whatsoever. We're actually using those little flaws as proof that this is not actually a video, but being rendered by the 3DS itself. I find the game spectacular and have nothing wrong with it at all. I am going to point out the flaws though to show that it's not someone trying to trick you into thinking it's fake and not a real representation of the 3DS graphical capabilities.
smile.gif

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Plus the ability to anti-alias edges, I honestly can't see this thing not being the best thing ever.
@Mr McCommunist: No one here is pointing out anything bad (I thought --=ZerO=-- was just trying to prove that it was being rendered).

Anyway, I think the anti-aliasing will be one of the best graphical features because, if used well, it can almost eliminate low resolution problems. Although I haven't seen any evidence of it being used in any screenshots. But the screens are high enough resolution for me anyway.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Freudian Lemur said:
_Chaz_ said:
Guild McCommunist said:

@Mr McCommunist: No one here is pointing out anything bad (I thought --=ZerO=-- was just trying to prove that it was being rendered).

Anyway, I think the anti-aliasing will be one of the best graphical features because, if used well, it can almost eliminate low resolution problems. Although I haven't seen any evidence of it being used in any screenshots. But the screens are high enough resolution for me anyway.
I haven't seen it in RE screens, but it looks great in the Kingdom Hearts screens, better than PS2 even.

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sure looks amazing.
I just hope the games won't be too expensive (as well as the system itself).

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
granville said:
And if that were a video, they would have used graphics rendered from the PS3 game engine as they'd want to make it look as awesome as possible. Although the game is impressive and blows any other handheld game away (along with any game from last gen's consoles), it has clearly blocky graphics, jaggies, and some clearly lower quality textures that would not be present in a high quality PS3-rendered video. They would not have used flaws such as those to showcase that game if it wasn't rendered using the 3DS hardware real time.
Fair enough. I agree with everything you said apart from this paragraph. Many games in the past had pre-rendered demos that weren't the best quality they could manage, they just looked very good for the console they were going to come out on.
But yeah, I think IGN maybe lied to me.
sad.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to bump this just to give you guys undeniable proof that the trailer is what the 3DS is really capable ingame graphically-

Official Capcom email-
“Following last week’s announcement that Capcom currently has two titles, Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (tentative title), in development for the Nintendo 3DS the first trailer for Resident Evil: Revelations has just been released and is now available for download from our press extranet. Featuring appearances from Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine.” [/p]
So let that be the end of any question about whether they just used prerendered video for it. Unless you wish to call Capcom out for bullshit, this is the way things are. It also really shows how reputable IGN are...
tongue.gif

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
I wanted to bump this just to give you guys undeniable proof that the trailer is what the 3DS is really capable ingame graphically-

Official Capcom email-
“Following last week’s announcement that Capcom currently has two titles, Resident Evil: Revelations and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (tentative title), in development for the Nintendo 3DS the first trailer for Resident Evil: Revelations has just been released and is now available for download from our press extranet. Featuring appearances from Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine.” [/p]
So let that be the end of any question about whether they just used prerendered video for it. Unless you wish to call Capcom out for bullshit, this is the way things are.
tongue.gif

For the Record... OMG yay *_*. I can't wait to see what the other companies do with the 3DS.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:

Official Capcom email-
So let that be the end of any question about whether they just used prerendered video for it. Unless you wish to call Capcom out for bullshit, this is the way things are. It also really shows how reputable IGN are...
tongue.gif

i think its a good thing that no-one could believe the screenshots, it's not really our fault though as you said yourself looking at screenshots, some games look Dreamcast quality, some Gamecube, some Wii and some are even above that, because of the inconsistent quality between the screenshots it does raise alot of questions, this game and street fighter 3DS are two of the best looking ive seen and there both made by Capcom, which is pretty awesome

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, i wasn't blaming you or anyone in particular, there's just a lot of misinformation out there (like IGN and whatnot). Now we have confirmation, that's all that matters, this shit is real son!
tongue.gif

And i agree, there's a lot of variation in game graphics for the games they announced. Nintendogs for example, looks just a tad better than the DS version. Animals are smoother and have hair now, but not a huge leap. Then you've got Zelda OOT 3DS, which looks like a Dreamcast game. Kid Icarus looks to be within the Wii territory. Kingdom Hearts as well, maybe slightly above due to lack of jaggies. But Resident Evil looks a whole new kind of cool. I've never seen anything like it on a system from last get. It blows anything i've seen on PS2/GC/Xbox/Wii out of the water, yet is not quite PS3 quality.

Of course, other systems have had wide variations in game graphics. SNES for example. Take a game like Mario World, which is a launch title, and then something like Star Ocean. Big difference in quality. Only difference here, is that the 3DS game graphics variation is spread out at the first games announced. With the SNES, those games had huge many year gaps between them. All these 3DS games were shown off at the same time, funny.

I think now it's pretty fair and safe to say that all the screenshots released for the system are not prerendered videos, and are being rendered real time. Now we know what the system is capable of, Resident Evil being the #1 beast of the 3DS. Maybe we'll get some even better looking games eventually, but for now, we know what the best looks like and that it's 100% real, no tricks or videos.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM